A Coach needs to tell it like it is | Syracusefan.com

A Coach needs to tell it like it is

albanycuse

Dion Waiters
Some people are making a big fuss over nothing. This is big time basketball so leave your feelings at home. As long as he never crosses the line and makes it personal. Yes they are kids but they are kids under the spotlight and it comes with the territory.

Ron isnt a good 3 point shooter and a matter of fact his shooting is detrimental to the team. Hes better at driving and dishing it out for someone else to score, thats how he helps the team out at this point.

Some people are making a big fuss over nothing. This is big time basketball so leave your feelings at home. As long as he never crosses the line and makes it personal. Yes they are kids but they are kids under the spotlight and it comes with the territory.

Ron isnt a good 3 point shooter and a matter of fact his shooting is detrimental to the team. Hes better at driving and dishing it out for someone else to score, thats how he helps the team out at this point.

Agreed 100%, if you play D1 it comes with the territory. This isn't modified basketball folks.

Eric15 said:
But isn't calling out a specific player, and saying that you as a senior citizen are a better shooter the exact definition of making something personal? If that isn't personal than what is?
No , he made a joke about it. If he said Ron isnt good enough to play and should transfer, now thats personal.

But isn't calling out a specific player, and saying that you as a senior citizen are a better shooter the exact definition of making something personal? If that isn't personal than what is?
It's a valid criticism though. He is in fact a terrible shooter. Whether his comment that he can shoot better was meant in a serious or joking manner, hes right.

It's a valid criticism though. He is in fact a terrible shooter. Whether his comment that he can shoot better was meant in a serious or joking manner, hes right.

I completely agree. Ron's lack of offensive production is maddening. But when a little kid sees a weird looking person at the mall and points and says "Mommy what's wrong with that man's face" the child is technically correct. But it doesn't mean the comment was appropriate/necessary.

I can tell most here dont want RP to shoot 3pters. Be careful what you wish for. He announced after the game to the media that he was done shooting. If he was serious, teams will slough off him even more. Good luck with his driving it if that is the case. I personally have no problem w him shooting 3s once or twice a game to try to keep the defense honest, who knows maybe they start falling

Last edited:
I completely agree. Ron's lack of offensive production is maddening. But when a little kid sees a weird looking person at the mall and points and says "Mommy what's wrong with that man's face" the child is technically correct. But it doesn't mean the comment was appropriate/necessary.
But criticism of play is different from making fun of someone's face.

I can tell most here dont want RP to shoot 3pters. Be careful what you wish for. He announced after the game to the media that he was done shooting. If he was serious, teams will slough off him even more. Good luck with his driving it if that is the case. I personally have no problem w him shooting 3s once or twice a game to try to keep the defense honest, who knows maybe they start falling

He was being guarded?

I remember it being rougher in the 3rd grade than JB is on these kids in his post game pressers. The truth is the truth. Ron can't shoot and Kaleb doesn't play the defense. Saying it in a very nice way doesn't change the fact nor is it going to help the players understand when they have obviously been told all season. Frankly neither would play if we had better option or they would be getting the quick hook. Tyler is so mystified by what to do on offense that JB does pull him in hopes that BJ will get going. (sweet dunk BTW BJ!) Even Cooney and G would be sitting once in a while for stupid plays if JB had anyone even close to being able to provide the same offense that he could play for 4 minutes.

"Ron needs to improve his shooting"

"Kaleb's defense needs to get better out there"

Done.

yea but what if ron doesnt have the green light and keeps shooting. therefore, he isnt listening to his coach. and, if im ron, i stop shooting. his shots arent close. he rarely gets it inside the cylinder. if he doesn't, hes stupid.

My wild guess is JB made the statements he did so RP works harder on his jump shot in the gym. I dont know how the heck you play the 2 spot without taking any outside shots

yea but what if ron doesnt have the green light and keeps shooting. therefore, he isnt listening to his coach. and, if im ron, i stop shooting. his shots arent close. he rarely gets it inside the cylinder. if he doesn't, hes stupid.

What?

Anyway, I dont really think the comments are taken by the players in negative ways. Just wanted to say there are very simple words that can be used to describe a point. The dramatics dont add much.

Next presser JB should just say "Im thankful" repeatedly. That would be good TV.

Jack Hall said:

They're are sloughing off him already, I'd be willing to bet that 80% of the threes he's taken were taken without anybody 4 feet from him.

At this point I don't want one of his threes to fall, if one does I'm afraid he will think the rest will and he'll keep jacking them up.

One thing I've learned from JB the past couple of pressers is that Kaleb, BJ, Buss, and Tyler can't play the zone well and they miss too many rotations.

Ok, that's 4 of our 7 guys that we could be playing right now.

I'm one of the biggest fans of the zone out there and think it's the best defense you can play, BUT you need to have the right personnel for it.

This is the first time I've ever said it but I will, I honestly think with this team that we should probably incorporate man to man in our defense. The guys I listed our own coach said their defense wasn't good, Gbinije isn't bad out there but he isn't great, Cooney isn't anywhere as good as last year and I think part of that is sharing the top of the zone with Kaleb or Buss, and Rak is playing incredibly passive underneath to stay out of foul trouble.

In Syracuse it's insane to wonder why we would leave the zone but anywhere else and in any rational persons mind it actually makes a lot of sense to move out of it. We just don't have the right personnel to make JBs zone work this year, it's hard to argue that we do and that it's working well.

We have great size and athleticism, I think we could do well playing man, I know it won't happen and that we don't even practice it, but it's hard to believe that these guys couldn't handle it.

two3zone said:
One thing I've learned from JB the past couple of pressers is that Kaleb, BJ, Buss, and Tyler can't play the zone well and they miss too many rotations.

I'm one of the biggest fans of the zone out there and think it's the best defense you can play, BUT you need to have the right personnel for it.

This is the first time I've ever said it but I will, I honestly think with this team that we should probably incorporate man to man in our defense. The guys I listed our own coach said their defense wasn't good, Gbinije isn't bad out there but he isn't great, Cooney isn't anywhere as good as last year and I think part of that is sharing the top of the zone with Kaleb or Buss, and Rak is playing incredibly passive underneath to stay out of foul trouble.

In Syracuse it's insane to wonder why we would leave the zone but anywhere else and in any rational persons mind it actually makes a lot of sense to move out of it. We just don't have the right personnel to make JBs zone work this year, it's hard to argue that we do and that it's working well.

We have great size and athleticism, I think we could do well playing man, I know it won't happen and that we don't even practice it, but it's hard to believe that these guys couldn't handle it.

If they can't handle rotations in the zone, what makes you think they could defend a guy one on one? Hell, there are rotations in m2m also.

They're are sloughing off him already, I'd be willing to bet that 80% of the threes he's taken were taken without anybody 4 feet from him.

At this point I don't want one of his threes to fall, if one does I'm afraid he will think the rest will and he'll keep jacking them up.
The games on watchESPN for replay, check it out again. Yes they are sloughing off him a little bit but they are engaging him right inside the 3 pt line. If they play off him even more (like they do TRob) good luck with him dribble driving and passing. All imho

Edit watch his first drive at the 11+ minute mark of the first half. They engaged him above the 3 pt. line and he was able to dribble drive into the lane (altho he missed it). But them picking him up high enabled him to drive and beat the first guy easily. I admit hes a poor shooter / scorer but if he doesnt take outside shots at all it will make it extremely difficult to do what he does best. Drive and dish. Dion is the same way, hes really not a good outside shooter at all, but guess what , he takes several every game to set up what he does best, dribble drive

Last edited:

Not having the two big guys on the court hurts the zone capability.DC2 and CHRIS MC'C really hurts for both baskets.

jec1521 said:
If they can't handle rotations in the zone, what makes you think they could defend a guy one on one? Hell, there are rotations in m2m also.

So you're saying JBs zone is easier defense than playing man to man? Are you high?

Who is the GM that put this team together?

I'm not saying axe JB. Not at all. But no program will have great year after great year. And to blame the kids when you are having that down year is sort of silly to me. The kids are what they are.

CaliCuse said:
Not having the two big guys on the court hurts the zone capability.DC2 and CHRIS MC'C really hurts for both baskets.

Roberson is just as big as other power forwards in college basketball.

"Ron needs to improve his shooting"

"Kaleb's defense needs to get better out there"

Done.

If he did that then what would people b**** about on here after every press conference?

I remember it being rougher in the 3rd grade than JB is on these kids in his post game pressers..

Your 3rd grade games had press conferences? Dang, I was happy if we got Caprisun afterwards.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
McCuse

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom