A Comment and a Question for tomorrow night's Jim Boeheim Show | Syracusefan.com

A Comment and a Question for tomorrow night's Jim Boeheim Show

SWC75

Bored Historian
Jim Boeheim’s radio show is on Thursdays from 7-8 or 9PM on ESPN Radio in Syracuse, which is AM1200 or FM 97.7 on the dial. The show originates from Carrabba's Italian Grill in Fayetteville. The first hour, hosted by Matt Park, the Voice of the Orange, is on their general network. The second hour, which begins with the conference season, is hosted by Gomez, a local radio personality.

This year’s schedule: Tuesday, November 12, 7:00 pm, Tuesday, November 19, 7:00 pm, Thursday, December 5, 7:00 pm, Thursday, December 12, 7:00 pm, Thursday, December 19, 7:00 pm, Thursday, December 26, 7:00 pm, Thursday, January 2, 7:00 pm, Thursday, January 9, 7:00 pm, Thursday, January 16, 7:00 pm, Thursday, January 23, 7:00 pm, Thursday, January 30, 7:00 pm, Thursday, February 6, 7:00 pm, Thursday, February 13, 7:00 pm, Thursday, February 20, 7:00 pm, Thursday, February 27, 7:00 pm,
Thursday, March 5, 7:00 pm.

You can call into the show locally at 315-424-8599 or nationally at 1-888-746-2873. For Gomez’s portion, use 315-424-8599. Or you can submit questions from this page:
Submit a Question! - Syracuse University Athletics
Or on Twitter at mattpark1 or “askBoeheim”.

The show can be heard in Syracuse on FM 99.5. It’s sometime simulcast on AM 1200 or FM 97.7. You can also get it on: TuneIn | Free Internet Radio | NFL, Sports, Podcasts, Music & News

I will be posting my rough transcript the night of the broadcast focusing on my questions, the team and their last and next games and then a second post the next day on other things that were discussed.

MY QUESTIONS/COMMENTS

First Hour:

“Coach, I’d just like to pay tribute to the accomplishment of securing our 50th straight winning season. That’s a special achievement because that’s the longest streak in the country and the second longest in history, (UCLA 54 from 1949-2002). It unites all the coaches, players and fans who have contributed to the program over the last half century in one achievement. All the teams have been part of one team: Syracuse and there’s a real sense of it being a family of players that continue to bleed Orange. It’s gotten us through 50 Central New York winters and put this community on the map nationally.

I still have the little pamphlets that passed for SU’s Media Guide at the beginning of the streak. You and Bill Vesp were Roy Danforth’s assistants. Coach Vesp coached the freshman team to a 17-1 record, led by our future police chief, Dennis DuVal. You had coached the freshmen the year before and now were assigned to be the lead recruiter. This was the “Roy’s Runts + One team: our center, Bill Smith was 6-11. Point guard Tommy Green was 5-11. Shooting guard Greg “Kid” Kohls was 6-1. So was forward Mark Wadach, an amazing rebounder for his size. The other forward was Mike Lee, 6-3, who is less remembered than his younger brother Jimmy because of Jim’s 1975 shot against North Carolina but was more of an all-around player and one of the most under-rated players in SU history. I also remember Chuck Wichman, who make a spectacular lay-up to beat Niagara and send us to the NIT, a much more prestigious tournament then than now, (it was won by 13th ranked North Carolina with Charlie Scott, a team that went 26-6). Chuck did the same thing to a highly ranked Fordham the next year.

They were the ones who got it started and thanks to Elijah, Buddy, Marek, Joe, Bourama and the rest, it’s still going on today.“

Second Hour:

“Coach, I know you are focused on Miami but it’s the last show of the season and this is my last question so I’ll ask about next year. You figure to have 13 recruited scholarship players with varying skill sets on the roster next year. You said earlier that this is being done to protect the program against defections and injuries. You’ve also said that you still want to have a rotation of your best guys for continuity and so that when other coaches use their bench, you can match your best players against less than their best. I look at what Leonard Hamilton has done at Florida State. He seems to use the whole roster with little drop off. It helps him deal with foul trouble, fatigue and injury. It might also help with recruiting. How does he make it work as well as it does at Florida State and could such a system work here?”

"Wich way to the NIT?!" Woohoo! Seems like yesterday! Or maybe a few days before that. OK. It was a very loooong time ago.

i think the first question took up most of the first hour thank you mr tolstoy.
the second question needed to be asked week 1.

Last edited:
i think the first question took up most of the first hour thank you mr tolstoy.
the second question needed to be asked week 1.

I think they will appreciate Q1. The second is a question for Week 1 - of next year. But why wait?

I think a piggy back question to go with question #2 is:

"Coach, do you think having a shallow bench and playing some guys 40 minutes a game (because they are not tired) put us at a disadvantage for the ACC tournament because we have to play 4 games in 4 days? Especially if we run into FSU who plays 10 guys with fresh legs, more quality fouls to give and earned a bye into the quarter finals?"

I recall that years ago when discussing his short rotation, JB said something to the effect of “Why would I want to take Billy Owens out of the game? Billy at 75% is better than most other players at 100%”. I agree with that but we don’t have a Billy Owens level player on this team and haven’t in a long time. I firmly believe that a few minutes break would help our starters physically and mentally, as well as give the bench players some valuable experience. As an example, remember when Dashonte Riley had to play in 2010 when AO got hurt? He wasn’t ready and I have to think more game experience during the season would have helped.

I think a piggy back question to go with question #2 is:

"Coach, do you think having a shallow bench and playing some guys 40 minutes a game (because they are not tired) put us at a disadvantage for the ACC tournament because we have to play 4 games in 4 days? Especially if we run into FSU who plays 10 guys with fresh legs, more quality fouls to give and earned a bye into the quarter finals?"

Call it in.