a couple of comments... | Syracusefan.com

a couple of comments...

Jables

Scout Team
1. can't wait for staats to get here. hopefully desko uses him on attack.
2. padula is much better at picking up ground balls than daddio. added benefit of having him in there.
3. while I like the attack and think they have played decently, they are not good at riding. I don't think I have ever seen maltz run on a clear.
4. terrible play by jenkins on that faceoff in the end. SU needs to find some guys with speed that can get to the ground balls on the faceoffs. Maybe Rockett next year?
5. any chance that goalie from b'ville is good enough to play next year? Lamo was way off against hobart and rutgers.

1. Staats will play attack. Hope everything goes smooth and he is on campus in fall, and injury free for the next two years.
2. I think Cal has earned the right to be "the guy" the rest of the way. Throw in Daddio for a change of pace of if Cal struggles.
3. Riding was a hallmark of the late 90's and early 2000s teams. I always tell players to try and watch guys like Liam Banks, Ryan and Mike Powell ride a defender. Not only were they supremely talented, they hustled all over the field.
4. I wish they would put offensive middies on the wing for faceoff, start playing like you plan to win the draw not like you are going to lose. And reduce Jenkins role. I am sure he is a great kid and awesome teammate but he is getting worked on defense and struggles with GBs.
5. Not 100% sure Ferrigan will be the answer next year. He is very good, but so were wardwell, Avalonne, Malloy and Lamo in high school. SU really needed Wardwell to step up this year and be the man. He didn't and now they have no answer in goal. I just hope that in the spring of 2014 one guy takes control and we only see backups on penalties and blowouts.

Schoonmaker has been getting some time on the wing lately. And I agree with your assessment of the Drew Jenkins experiment.

Padula got killed a game or two ago. He won the clamp on Tuesday, we’ll see how he does next game. Something tells me he’ll get beat like a drum again. If there is one thing that is consistant, it’s our faceoff inconsistency.

It’s crazy that we have 40 kids standing on the sideline and don’t have a better short stick option on the face off wing. I can’t stand how specialized the game has become though. Find a kid who can play both ways like we used to do. I like when Schoon has been on the faceoff unit. I’d like to see Lecky get a run here (and on dmid) but he just might not be a kid who likes to get his nose dirty.

The attack has fine stick skills but they’re not really a threat to drive pipe and make individual iso type plays. Their smallish size is a hindrance. Next year is going to be interesting with the influx of bigger kids.

I’m not as down on Lamo because the team defense and defensive effort has sucked @zz the last two games.

1.) The defense was very undisciplined against Hobart. I was very surprised by Megill's lack of discipline in particular. He was smoked twice by Love in the first half because he went for over-the-head home run checks. He gave Love more respect and played him straight up in the second half. Our non-defensive midfielders (e.g. Lecky, Barber, etc.) were very poor sliding against Hobart but that's the tradeoff w/ two way middies. I agree w/ Phat - Lamo's been steady but there are only so many open 13 yard rips you're gonna save.

2.) As someone (Jeremy perhaps) in another thread pointed out, Paduda looked much better at scooping groundballs. Daddio drove me crazy trying to goose the ball to his teammates when he had the opportunity to scoop it himself. The wings have also been guilty of this too. I didn't see as much of it during the Hobart game as I saw in the Princeton and Cornell games. Too much cute play knocking the ball to your teammates instead of scooping and handling the pressure - that's been one of the reasons faceoffs have been so inconsistent for us this year.

3.) Slow attackmen = bad riding + fewer scoring chances. Rice is a very good feeder but his shot placement is bad. I'd like more of Donahue and less of Ward as Dylan has been better at creating his own shot. I'm used to SU being the team who clears their defensive half w/ ease and raises hell riding their opponent; it's very frustrating watching our opposition get the ball in their offensive end after 2-3 passes while we're much more methodical in clearing the ball.

The problem with schoonmaker on the wing on faceoffs is he is worn out by the 4th quarter, especially playing on the 1st line.

2 of the 3 starting attackmen will probably not see the field much next year unless they run midfield.

ward is decent but the shot he took near the end of the game was terrible. right into the goalies stick.

The good thing about the 3 faceoff guys is they all have different styles.

Hopefully Loy is back tomorrow.

Sounds like he is going to play, we really need him back. This team is simply not a great offensive power and cant afford to lose one of its better pieces.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom