A couple things | Syracusefan.com

A couple things

Newhouser

Hall of Fame
1) we need to back up on Roy - I think he's a phony but he runs the best offensive and player development system in college basketball. This isn't Kansas anymore and we have no sideline advantage in these match ups and quite frankly the last few match ups have looked like the Varsity scrimmaging the JV.
2) Kudos to Sid - I think JB waived the white flag when he let PC foul out with 16 to go. Sid came in with effort and energy finally giving OB a running mate. Speaking of OB he was awful against Wake but he brought it last night. I think he is falling in love with the 3 but his effort on going after boards never varies (making shots or not). I do hope he shows up Sunday at St Cecilia's for the 8 and under "Fundamentals of dribbling" and I hope Frank and Tyus show too.
3) Frank had a surprisingly good season and though his numbers in my opinion are inflated by circumstance, he exceeded my expectations. That said we aren't winning anything with a lead guard who can't dribble, has limited game sense, and awful body language.
4) Tyus - thank you for two solid years. Good luck with your professional endeavor. The next league is going to be loaded with guys who defend better than 24 - please develop your left hand and recognize a basket has the same value whether you make it or assist on it
5) JAB built the bus and drives it as long as he likes. That said I'm on record that he's holding the program hostage and delaying the inevitable rebuild that comes with replacing a legend and rebuilding from letting a 70 something stay too long. I do not have the confidence in our Athletic Department in thinking that we will be the lone program in history that is able to navigate those 2 scenarios. We are a mediocre ACC program that has ridden two 4 game win streaks to recent relevance. JB drives the bus but I think it's fair for those of us riding it to ask what direction are we going. Next year I don't want to hear sanctions, youth and lack of talent. That bus has pulled out of the station.

Good season and good effort by the guys.

1) That said I'm on record that he's holding the program hostage and delaying the inevitable rebuild that comes with replacing a legend and rebuilding from letting a 70 something stay too long. I do not have the confidence in our Athletic Department in thinking that we will be the lone program in history that is able to navigate those 2 scenarios. We are a mediocre ACC program that has ridden two 4 game win streaks to recent relevance. JB drives the bus but I think it's fair for those of us riding it to ask what direction are we going. Next year I don't want to hear sanctions, youth and lack of talent. That bus has pulled out of the station.

Thanks for posting that. It perfectly captures what sometimes I cannot find the words to articulate why I’m firmly in the “retire Boeheim” camp.

The "inevitable rebuild" has a heck of a start with the 4 rising sophomores (Brissett, Sidibe, Dolezaj, and Washington) who competed this season as true frosh; Moyer and Hughes as rising Rs-Sophs; a top 15 recruit in Bazley; a top 50 recruit in Carey; plus Buddy.

Lots of young talent right there, if you want to look forward, rather than in a pessimistic rear window.

The "inevitable rebuild" has a heck of a start with the 4 rising sophomores (Brissett, Sidibe, Dolezaj, and Washington) who competed this season as true frosh; Moyer and Hughes as rising Rs-Sophs; a top 15 recruit in Bazley; a top 50 recruit in Carey; plus Buddy.

Lots of young talent right there, if you want to look forward, rather than in a pessimistic rear window.
Right... so by midseason next year when we are only playing 6.5 and our tempo is as slow as molasses and we have at least one player rumored to be transferring the talent and depth and sanction should not be an excuse, correct?

Very true - will quibble with some of the optimism regarding the level of returning talent - and never pre-judge incoming talent until we see it at the college level. i"m not pessimistic or optimistic - I'm hopeful or hoping things get better, but the proof will be in the pudding at this time next year.

Right... so by midseason next year when we are only playing 6.5 and our tempo is as slow as molasses and we have at least one player rumored to be transferring the talent and depth and sanction should not be an excuse, correct?
Correct. And so by midseason next year, when we are a top 20 team, with capable scorers in the front-court, with capable subs at center, at the forward spots, and at guard -- the haters can celebrate our team.

1) we need to back up on Roy - I think he's a phony but he runs the best offensive and player development system in college basketball. This isn't Kansas anymore and we have no sideline advantage in these match ups and quite frankly the last few match ups have looked like the Varsity scrimmaging the JV.
2) Kudos to Sid - I think JB waived the white flag when he let PC foul out with 16 to go. Sid came in with effort and energy finally giving OB a running mate. Speaking of OB he was awful against Wake but he brought it last night. I think he is falling in love with the 3 but his effort on going after boards never varies (making shots or not). I do hope he shows up Sunday at St Cecilia's for the 8 and under "Fundamentals of dribbling" and I hope Frank and Tyus show too.
3) Frank had a surprisingly good season and though his numbers in my opinion are inflated by circumstance, he exceeded my expectations. That said we aren't winning anything with a lead guard who can't dribble, has limited game sense, and awful body language.
4) Tyus - thank you for two solid years. Good luck with your professional endeavor. The next league is going to be loaded with guys who defend better than 24 - please develop your left hand and recognize a basket has the same value whether you make it or assist on it
5) JAB built the bus and drives it as long as he likes. That said I'm on record that he's holding the program hostage and delaying the inevitable rebuild that comes with replacing a legend and rebuilding from letting a 70 something stay too long. I do not have the confidence in our Athletic Department in thinking that we will be the lone program in history that is able to navigate those 2 scenarios. We are a mediocre ACC program that has ridden two 4 game win streaks to recent relevance. JB drives the bus but I think it's fair for those of us riding it to ask what direction are we going. Next year I don't want to hear sanctions, youth and lack of talent. That bus has pulled out of the station.

This is an excellent post!

In regards to your #3, I could not agree with you more. His relatively weak handle (especially when he's facing constant ball pressure as he did last night) has been well documented all season. But, your point of his game sense and awful body language hasn't been as much, but is really just as big of an issue, imo. Last night he showcased all of these aforementioned deficiencies to the hilt. His body language due to his immense struggles with handling the ball pressure, shooting, etc. bled into his defense, constantly shaking his head, as in woe is me, boo hoo, I'm not getting any of these calls, can't the refs see I'm getting hounded, etc. Instead of clapping his hands for his teammates when he was in the game, when he could actually have a positive impact, he chose to sulk instead. Then, after JB puts in all the walk-ons at game's end, while all of his starter teammates feel the dejection, etc. of a difficult loss and what this loss most likely means relative to their NCAA tourney fate, there's Frank, peculiarly clapping his hands on the bench.

Last edited:

Wait??? "Fundamentals of Dribbling" isn't that a class Frank should take, not give? Include a Fundamentals of Passing for him also.

Correct. And so by midseason next year, when we are a top 20 team, with capable scorers in the front-court, with capable subs at center, at the forward spots, and at guard -- the haters can celebrate our team.
I really hope that’s the case... I want to believe that JB has not lost it and we are still an elite program. But I need to see some evidence of that at some point.

How are we including Washington and Moyer as "rising" anything? Washington...big maybe. Moyer, extremely concerned he can't play at this level.

Nobody has any idea what Hughes is but he better be good considering we used a scholly during sanctions on someone who had to sit out a year.

Dolezaj is promising but needs to put on 15 pounds and develop a 3 point shot to be playable on a team with Top 20 aspirations. FWIW, I think he will.

I am excited about a backcourt of Frank/Carey, a Forward duo of OB/Bazley (If OB comes back) and a healthy Sidibe/healthy Chukwu. Marek and Hughes seemingly gives us legit depth.

Excellent post and I totally agree!!

By mid season next year when we are in the top 15 and looking like a team on the top 3 seed line it will be great and I won't be thinking about this years rotation other than the fact everyone played as hard as they were capable of. Sadly many of the people posting very negatively won't be anywhere to be found and will mysteriously disappear. I'm not talking about you or sobecuse or two3zone who want success but are frustrated. I'm talking about others I won't bother calling out.

Great email. Like Jimmy B as he had a great run but with all things in business or other one has a succession plan. The best CEOs leave companies in great hands with a plan so they keep running without chaos. Hopkins would have been a natuaral fit as was proven by his first season at Washington . Hope the AD has a plan just feel that the best CEOs hand of while they are still capable. We shall see

Last edited by a moderator:
Fair warning - if the personal sniping continues, we will make sure it doesn't continue, if you get my drift.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom