A couple thoughts about CJ, MCW, BT, JS3, Coleman and Cooney | Syracusefan.com

A couple thoughts about CJ, MCW, BT, JS3, Coleman and Cooney

cliftonparksufan

Iggy Award Czar/Co 2020-21 Iggy Award Winner PPG
A perfect game condition for CJ, MCW and BT. All three did a great job slashing and passing (channeling my inner Clyde there). As long as Brandon stays aggressive, we are going to see a lot of easy baskets. BT and MCW is a top ten backcourt. People who were worried at all about MCW have nothing to worry about. He can play 30+ minutes and be a star. NBA scouts are already taking notice.

Cooney looked a step slow on that one play and earned a spot on the bench. He is going to earn his PT by shooting 3's and that wasn't going to happen today anyways. Southerland played more up top than Cooney did and that is what we might see on a regular rotation. When Cooney comes in he needs to be able to contribute. Southerland wasn't going to score much from the outside today either, but he can do much more with his 6'8" frame.

Coleman got into early foul trouble which hopefully won't be a sign of things to come. His body is so big that he can easily be called for phantom fouls. Hopefully this won't be a problem come BE time. JB never put him back in and I'm not sure why besides the fact that he liked the matchups he had in there.

Keita and Xmas both a did a lot of really good things in over 20 minutes of action. Grant got some early minutes but with everyone else playing well, his minutes unfortunately will be a little scarce. That's too bad but 200 minutes can only be divided up so much.

Triche has worked on finishing will his left hand and it shows. Two really nice left handed finishes today

Triche has worked on finishing will his left hand and it shows. Two really nice left handed finishes today

Still has a habit of driving right and letting a defender deflect the dribble off his knee. 3 times today I think.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

Still has a habit of driving right and letting a defender deflect the dribble off his knee. 3 times today I think.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2
It was a sloppy game overall. The team had 9 assists vs 18 turnovers. Not the benchmark a team is looking for. Also had 10 blocks, 12 steals and 23 fouls which shows how aggressive they were on defense.

TOs and fouls were a product of a game with no jump shots. Everyone forced the ball inside even when it wasn't there, which was most of the time. SU went for every block SDSU for every strip. When we missed the block we fouled when they missed the steal we scored.

I'm not judging anyone - I thought they were all sloppy, but it's hard to really go after anyone for it. They packed it in, and we had to drive, not the optimum conditions for getting anything done off the bounce.

CJ's opening was huge though and really gave us the edge we needed early. Otherwise, they all had their moments of good and bad.

A perfect game condition for CJ, MCW and BT. All three did a great job slashing and passing (channeling my inner Clyde there). As long as Brandon stays aggressive, we are going to see a lot of easy baskets. BT and MCW is a top ten backcourt. People who were worried at all about MCW have nothing to worry about. He can play 30+ minutes and be a star. NBA scouts are already taking notice.

Cooney looked a step slow on that one play and earned a spot on the bench. He is going to earn his PT by shooting 3's and that wasn't going to happen today anyways. Southerland played more up top than Cooney did and that is what we might see on a regular rotation. When Cooney comes in he needs to be able to contribute. Southerland wasn't going to score much from the outside today either, but he can do much more with his 6'8" frame.

Cooney didn't play enough to have a true evaluation- only second game and the first against real competition. He'll get his legs under him in the cupcake part of the schedule- we'll see where he fits but I'm guessing he'll get a decent amount of minutes. I thought MCW was not at his best- forced shots and a bunch of turnovers (or at least it seemed it)...he'll be better.

Hard to be critical of either team in this game as the conditions made this a unique game environment. If they played indoors this would have ended the same but would have been a much different game.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
newmom4503

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom