A Couple Thoughts | Syracusefan.com

A Couple Thoughts

anomander

Living Legend
I attended the game, so I tonight I went back and watched the game on DVR. I am not worried at all. Talent is not the reason we lost that game. Sure there were some miscues that cost us dearly, but these are things that can be ironed out. I'm not sure what a lot of people were expecting breaking in a brand new HC, OC, QB, and WR's, going up against imo one of the best HC's in CFB. Anyway here are some things I came away with.

Concerns:

Wilkes has hurt us quite a bit over the years, and yesterday he cost us 2 big plays. It's tough to say this because he actually played a very good game other then the 2 long td passes. 1 he jumped a route and Robinson toasted him (I don't believe this was Eskridge's assignment, all he could have done was prevented a td with a better angle). The other play he was just late helping Reddish. I really wish he would play a bit more conservative, but I guess that's what makes him so good against the run.

Missed assignments. The offensive line alone had quite a few. There were at least 3 occasions where there was a missed assignment, leaving a free run at the qb, or rb.
Same goes for qb/wr chemistry. Both these can be easily fixed.

Have no faith in Krautman. That's a huge fg he missed, and a momentum killer. Ficker was definitely the better kicker, somewhere I thought we has a slight edge.

Smith needs more carries. a 50/50 split with Gulley isn't needed. Let the horse run.

Positives:

Our defense is outstanding. 2 blown coverages away from a complete shut down. Our interior DL shouldn't be over matched at all this season.

I thought our DE's were better then expected. Welsh was strong, and Robinson was very good against the run. They should only get better.

Great LBer play. All 3 were all over the field.

George Morris will break at least 1 KO return this year. Silky smooth. Wouldn't mind seeing him get a few of Gulley's carries.

Conclusion: We will be fine. I fully expect the offense to be more in sync as the season progresses, there was going to be a few bumps in the road. I think our run game will be solid. PSU had some outstanding interior DL play. Surprisingly Trudo got beat a few times. I really believe he is better then that, and PSU is going to be a pretty good defensive team. I think we match up much better with Northwestern. There defense is nothing scary so I really think we move the ball better, especially on the ground, while our defense keeps them contained for the most part. This is a game we can win

That TD by Robinson looked like Anderson missed the coverage.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That TD by Robinson looked like Anderson missed the coverage.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

i watched it a few times. they were definitely in zone so it's tough to tell, but it looks like Anderson was handing him off to Wilkes, who totally bought into the pump fake. Could be wrong though.

You could be right. I suppose my take with the offense, specifically the receivers, is that it might take a creative scheme to get them some opportunities against good defenses. We can't go up, line up, and play Alabama smash mouth football. Hopefully McDonald gets his together.

i watched it a few times. they were definitely in zone so it's tough to tell, but it looks like Anderson was handing him off to Wilkes, who totally bought into the pump fake. Could be wrong though.

It was definitely Anderson who bit. I commented on it as soon as it happened.

Yeah but Wilkes looked like he had the deep help and he either bit on the fake or was just plain beat deep.

it looked like the wr ran a post and Wilkes was late getting there to help.

Yeah but Wilkes looked like he had the deep help and he either bit on the fake or was just plain beat deep.

it looked like the wr ran a post and Wilkes was late getting there to help.

i went back and watched it a few times. i'm pretty sure this is exactly what happened. Both totally bit on the pump fake, but Wilkes was responsible for the deep ball. It couldn't have been Anderson because we were in zone

i went back and watched it a few times. i'm pretty sure this is exactly what happened. Both totally bit on the pump fake, but Wilkes was responsible for the deep ball. It couldn't have been Anderson because we were in zone

I love Wilkes but it was definitely him.

http://www.syracuse.com/orangefootball/index.ssf/2013/09/video_highlights_syracuse_fall.html

Unless they were in man free with Esk in the middle. Looks like Cover 2 though and Wilkes came up for the WR screen. I would move him up to the nickel back spot- this is how he got his pick also and what he played as a freshman. Overall though you need better assignment football from a senior.

Good post - agree with most. DL was the nicest surprise as it was a ?.

I attended the game, so I tonight I went back and watched the game on DVR. I am not worried at all. Talent is not the reason we lost that game. Sure there were some miscues that cost us dearly, but these are things that can be ironed out. I'm not sure what a lot of people were expecting breaking in a brand new HC, OC, QB, and WR's, going up against imo one of the best HC's in CFB. ..

Conclusion: We will be fine. I fully expect the offense to be more in sync as the season progresses, there was going to be a few bumps in the road. I think our run game will be solid. PSU had some outstanding interior DL play. Surprisingly Trudo got beat a few times. I really believe he is better then that, and PSU is going to be a pretty good defensive team. I think we match up much better with Northwestern. There defense is nothing scary so I really think we move the ball better, especially on the ground, while our defense keeps them contained for the most part. This is a game we can win
Nice post...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cusethunder

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom