A few post Duke thoughts and some random musings | Syracusefan.com

A few post Duke thoughts and some random musings

JeremyCuse

Renowned lacrosse analyst
I didn't feel the need to post following the Duke game because that performance was so impressive there really wasn't much tos ay. In my preview for Ottos Grove I noted that I didnt feel like the team had played a complete game yet where the offense and defense was able to click for a full 60 minutes. Well we can now cross that off the list because that was one of the most dominating performances against a high quality opponent I have seen in a long time. If Syracuse can replicate that performance a few more times I dont see any team in Div 1 who can beat them. All of this done without Staats makes it even more impressive, a performance you wish you could bottle up for later in the season for sure. Rice and Donahue looked unguardable, I haven't seen them score so many one on one goals so effortlessly all year.

Only downside for me in that game was that the second mid line continues to be a major dissapointment. Westin had a nice goal on a All Americna Defender but other then that there wasn't much to show for it. Dejoe had a couple of rockets that were no where near the cage and Salcido and Evans continue to really struggle. Evans seems to be moving a little bit better but lacks that extra burst and is struggling to put good looks on cage. Not trying to get down on a player but the pre-season hype for Salcido hasn't materialized one iota. With mutliple openings next year on the starting mid field line I was hoping he would flash a little bit and then transition to a starter next fall. Unfortunately he looks light years away from that at this point. A little suprised Desko hasn't tried to mix and match a little bit more with so much talent on the bench. I though McGinley could have played a role there but obviously after this idiotic actions we wont be seeing him again this year. Once Staats comes back (hopefully soon) Barber will go back to the second mid line which will obviously elevate it significantly. I wonder if Simmons or Dejoe could be in line for more potential PT on the second line. Perhaps even one of the D mids like Gillis or Schmitt.

I thought Bobby Wardwell had the best game of his career on Sunday. He looked like a top end goalie making the routine saves look easy and also making multiple high end saves that in previous years probably would have been goals. Really hoping to see if he can follow it up on Saturday. Wardwell really struggled against ND in the ACC tourney last year when he got his first start and was ultimately pulled in the second half for Lamo. Wardwell has really played well against Duke his last two appearances so I am hoping his performance last Sunday is more then just a product of the opponent.

Lots of good potential D match ups this weekend that I will breakdown a bit in my preview. Another big game for the short stick d middies and McDermott on Sunday. If Staats is out again as expected will be interesting to see how much success the Syracuse offense will have against probably the best D they will see all year. Rice and Donahue will have there hands full so the starting Mids and Barber will need to produce. Would also be a nice time for Evans or another second mid guy to finally break out.

I think Desko and the AD's office did a much better job with this years schedule after last years absolute debacle. That said I really wish they had placed Hobart or another local lower end local team like Binghamton or Canisius for next Thursday instead of Albany. A five game gauntlet of JHU, Duke, ND, Albany and UNC is asking a lot of a team, especially being at ND and at UNC. The good news is that SU will have 9 days off between the Albany and UNC games which will be a nice little break especially if Staats is still out. Speaking of Staats if he hasn't back for Albany then I think we we have a problem on hour hands. A game against his fellow Native American friends is something I cant see Staats missing unless hes hurt more then the program is letting on.

Looking forward to Saturday.

Great post, as always. Looking forward to your OG game preview on the ND clash. Curious to your insight on their defense. Shutting down Ohio State last weekend was impressive, or at least looks it on paper as I did not see the game.

Would not mind seeing Forkin mixed in on a couple of middie runs with the second group while Staats is out. I have minimal confidence in Salcido at this point in time, just hasn't shown me much so far. Would also like to see Simmons get a look with that second line. Realistically, when it gets to may, the second kids should be getting every third run at most. Need to run the horses to the championship.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom