A few thoughts on the Wake game | Syracusefan.com

A few thoughts on the Wake game

billsin01

All American
Only got to watch the game today and figured I'd throw a couple thoughts out there on this group:

Still need to learn how to play 40 mins
It's obviously an old cliche but in this case I'm not talking about effort. This team works and plays hard for 40, which is part of the reason we've improved. But we have trouble sustaining flow and concentration for 40.
Had so many chances to put Wake in a deep hole and really the only reason we didn't do it was our own miscues. Up 30-19, Dolezaj misses a bunny and then is in position to draw the charge but falls away from the offensive player and is correctly called for the block. Then we missed another easy look and guerrier gets called for a pointless foul 75 feet from the basket, which results in free throws. We make those two, draw the charge and just get Guerrier back on defense we have a chance to close that half at plus 14 or so. Happened a bunch in the second half too with plays like Girard firing that pass at buddy (think that was second half) and taking that long three after a pass fake with 25 left on the shot clock and Guerrier not giving the ball up to a wide open hughes on that fast break. Then we had that stretch where Joe took a bad jumper, followed by a bad j from buddy and Hughes had a questionable three in that stretch too -- early in the shot clock on all three.
Now, no team is going to be perfect, we made a bunch of tough shots too, and Wake made a bunch of plays in that game, but just felt like we never should have been up less than 5 or 6, let alone down 4.

Nice to see this team gut out a win and get some contributions from Edwards/Goodine
Sometimes winning ugly can be as impressive as winning going away. In this case, as frustrating as our continued penchant for bad fouls is, getting Edwards and Goodine meaningful minutes and seeing them play pretty decently is a good thing, especially when it comes in a victory.

Edwards had two steals, his FT was big and he played 10 minutes with just 2 fouls, far below the going rate for Guerrier and Sidibe in this one. Goodine had some really nice plays. Actually thought the blocking foul he got called for a was a pretty good defensive play and could easily have been called a charge. He cleared the glass on the defensive end at one point, which showed pretty good instincts and then obviously hit the biggest shot of the night. The one thing he didn't do was knock down a wide open look from 3. There's a bunch of discussion about how he should be playing more but I think he's a guy who's trying to figure out who he is and how he needs to play on offense. More minutes would help but I can't crush JB for this -- I like Goodine and think he'll be a nice player for us, but I think it's next year. He's just too uncomfortable on the offensive end. Hopefully though he can build on this and at least snag a few more minutes the rest of the way.

Dolezaj had the best 1-for-7 game I think I can remember
The silly fouls continue to be an issue but Dolezaj does so many things to help your team win. The rebounds, passes, defense, screens, pushing the ball after rebounds. Love the kid.

Girard struggled but I still am impressed with his play
Girard's struggles from the field continued, he had a couple careless turnovers (thought the one travel/double dribble should have been a foul) and he made some bad decisions late. But he continues to handle the ball well, he's getting a few more looks inside the 3-point line and his threes were largely on line but just didn't go down. He plays hard (his dive that led to a wake turnover after a girard deflection was pure hustle), pushes tempo, plays with passion, isn't afraid to take a big shot. He's had a really nice freshman season. I'd guess he's dealing with some fatigue but still a tough player.

Thought bonner called a good game
I make fun of play-by-play guys all the time and I'm sure people don't like him, but I thought he did a nice job calling things before they happened and making good observations.

Really hope our S&C program can do some things this offseason
Girard, Edwards, Sidibe, Dolezaj (obviously), JBA (he got a head start) -- Don't think any of these guys need major makeovers but a stronger edwards combined with Dolezaj and Sidibe at least making slight gains in strength would be a huge lift. Girard will probably never be completely cut and he's already in good shape, but feel like he could stand to make some gains as well.

Regardless, nice to get the W. Really hope we can sneak past NC State and get one of L'ville/FSU to give ourselves a solid chance down the stretch.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SyraFreed

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom