A Few Thoughts... | Syracusefan.com

A Few Thoughts...

newmexicuse

All Conference
The biggies are the new coach and the new QB.

I liked our D and how well they were coached. It reflected HCSS's roots. There was no quit in the D. PSU upset us with Robinson getting into the game at the start of the 2nd half, maybe we would have been better off if he played the entire game and we could have made adjustments. That kid was terrific.

I did not like our O at all. Admittedly our opponent was tough and more athletic than we were, but the play calling and the O rhythm were atrocious. That is on the HC. I was ready to throw my remote at my TV if I saw another first down between the tackles run for two yards or less. It immediately put the QB and the O behind the eight ball. That is not to mention slow play calling and a total inability to go uptempo...something every other college team seems able to do.

As to the QB, I personally had high expectations for Drew partially based upon glimpses from watching OU games. However, I must say I was disappointed. He showed some glimpses, but he also just flat out missed a lot of throws. Add in some drops & he ended up throwing for less than 200 yards & less than 50%. My biggest criticism of Drew; however, was not the arm. It was his total inability to sense the the rush and even try to sidestep it. If he is going to be a statue whenever he fades back he will need to be replaced. Yes, it was his first game and it was against a very good foe, so it is way too early to write him off. But, that said, I was disappointed and unimpressed. The last drive, with the game on the line, was terrible. The drop put us behind the down and distance tempo, and Drew really seemed flustered by it. Instead of rallying the guys to overcome a drop, he let it get into his head. Don't know if the play calling was on the QB or the HC, but throwing downfield wo trying to first come underneath so that there was a makable first down of 5 yds or less was terrible.

Other thoughts:

1. Not a lot of holes for the running game. I am hoping it will turn out to be that they are very talented and not that our O line can't block.

2. I loved the D's being able to create TOs - that was what kept it close. We should have capitalized better.

3. Special teams kicking game was a killer. If our guy makes 1 & their guy misses just one- voila - tied game.

4. Biggest need - other than improved QB play - is finding a big-time playmaker. Look at what Robinson did for them, it looks like we are hoping Broyold will be our guy for that role - hopefully he can become what we need.

Our offensive line was totally outplayed, out muscled by the Penn St. defensive front. Not totally surprising. Thus no running game. Calling 85% of the runs up the gut didn't help. If it ain't working try something else. Play calling was so predictable. Run, run, pass. Allen was surprisingly unathletic, not mobile at all. Not what I expected from an Oklahoma QB.

Our offensive line was totally outplayed, out muscled by the Penn St. defensive front. Not totally surprising. Thus no running game. Calling 85% of the runs up the gut didn't help. If it ain't working try something else. Play calling was so predictable. Run, run, pass. Allen was surprisingly unathletic, not mobile at all. Not what I expected from an Oklahoma QB.

Who was more immobile than Landry Jones ? And Bradford was not exactly Donovon McNabb in his prime. It has been a long time since OU has had a running QB, though I think they have one this season.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseVegas

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom