A Jersey Guy on BC job | Syracusefan.com

A Jersey Guy on BC job

Wasn't this guy notorious for being dead wrong on all conference realignment stuff?

sucks for us, but BC would be crazy not to take Hopkins if he was interested. With the recruiting ties he has in the area it would be a great hire for them.

Around the time of the Virginia game, I spoke with someone very close with Hopkins, and they said that Hopkins didn't want to have to wait much longer to be a head coach. I asked where he would go, if he would leave at all. The response I got was: Which school in the northeast is probably not going to have their coach for much longer? I said, Boston College, and the person just nodded.

It's hard to say for sure if Hopkins is leaving, but he has a lot of recruiting ties in the northeast. It would take a lot of work to turn that program around, but it's a head coaching position, and it's in the northeast where Hopkins can recruit. I believe there's a few others on this board who said that Hopkins was prepared to take the USC job until Florida Gulf Coast got hot and Andy Enfield got the job. I'm hopeful that Hopkins won't leave, but you never know.

Around the time of the Virginia game, I spoke with someone very close with Hopkins, and they said that Hopkins didn't want to have to wait much longer to be a head coach. I asked where he would go, if he would leave at all. The response I got was: Which school in the northeast is probably not going to have their coach for much longer? I said, Boston College, and the person just nodded.

It's hard to say for sure if Hopkins is leaving, but he has a lot of recruiting ties in the northeast. It would take a lot of work to turn that program around, but it's a head coaching position, and it's in the northeast where Hopkins can recruit. I believe there's a few others on this board who said that Hopkins was prepared to take the USC job until Florida Gulf Coast got hot and Andy Enfield got the job. I'm hopeful that Hopkins won't leave, but you never know.

I think he's gone if his number comes up this time. It would suck, though, to see him wind up at a rival school. Just shows you how much of a business it is.

sucks for us, but BC would be crazy not to take Hopkins if he was interested. With the recruiting ties he has in the area it would be a great hire for them.

I imagine he'd go after some the players he's been recruiting at SU. Or would he?

I think he's gone if his number comes up this time. It would suck, though, to see him wind up at a rival school. Just shows you how much of a business it is.
It's also living in Boston vs Syracuse.

Waters: Syracuse assistant Mike Hopkins could be in mix at Boston College if Eagles fail to get Tommy Amaker

A source confirmed to Syracuse.com that Hopkins could become a candidate at Boston College, but the school has yet to contact the long-time Syracuse assistant.
That line from the article does not exactly say that BC is hot on Hopkins.
He COULD become a candidate for just about any decent coaching job that opens up.

By the way...the ACC and the Big 10 used to be the only two conferences that were full of destination jobs.
How is it that BC wouldn't be interested in higher profile coaches if Amaker falls through?
Has the ACC fallen?
Is BC just cheap when it comes to paying coaches?
Or are they simply looking for solid guys with NE ties?

Wasn't this guy notorious for being dead wrong on all conference realignment stuff?

A.J Black ‏@BCHysteria 13m
don't read too much into this, Blauds is an ex BC beat writer who lost all his sources and is pulling this out of his ass

BC isn't going to hire Hop and risk him coming back to Cuse in under 5 years. Their program is struggling as it is and to get it going in a positive direction only for the HC to jump in-conference would look awful. I would expect that the AD Bates is going to go in another direction- keep hearing Skerry, maybe even one of the Hurleys.

Hop isnt getting any younger. JB isnt retiring any too soon. Being the "designated" coach in waiting is meaningless when the coach isnt planning on retiring. One doesnt get a name for themselves as an assistant coach (unless youre Bernie Fine) and you wont have many shots at big time schools unless you have that name. I think Hop would love to have the HC position at SU ... aint gonna happen in the foreseeable future. But I think that he would also love to return to the warm climes of Southern California eventually.
One also has to feel for him as he witnesses and sees all these young(er) guys at the helms of good basketball programs... he is over 40 now.
If we lose Hop it would be a great loss for us. But right now he is stuck. Boston is a great town. BC is in a conference that has national exposure. I think he would do a great job at BC with his coaching skills; his "player" mentality and personality; and his contacts. Wouldnt blame him in the least. Hop has to do what is best for him and his family.

A.J Black ‏@BCHysteria 13m
don't read too much into this, Blauds is an ex BC beat writer who lost all his sources and is pulling this out of his ass
but all of the candidates listed made sense.

all are better fits for bc than Hop too.

Schmidt would be 2nd Bonnies coach they have hired. first was Jim O'Brien who was also a BC alum they hired in '86.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom