A leap, a stay, and a get | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

A leap, a stay, and a get

Fair point. If it's just Joe and Cole shooting iso'd jump shots, we're toast. No doubt.
Most teams have a #1 offensive option/weapon, very, very few amateur teams have a bunch of guys that are interchangeable and putting up the same numbers. The key is to have weapons that can step up and make the defense pay, if the other team devotes too much attention to your #1 option.

Most teams have a #1 offensive option/weapon, very, very few amateur teams have a bunch of guys that are interchangeable and putting up the same numbers. The key is to have weapons that can step up and make the defense pay, if the other team devotes too much attention to your #1 option.

Yeah, but not at 16.5 shots a game at 41% from the floor. That's not a winning formula.

Jesse was shooting 10 FGA/game less than Buddy and was top five in FG% in the country, while actually having to play defense.

We need a more leveled offense because we will not have an offensive star on the floor that is a jump shooter.

Let's see what the makeup of the team is heading into the year, but right now there is no one that should have the disparity in shots that Buddy had this year over the other guys.

If we're promising that role to Cole or to Joe, we're toast.

There will be lots of moving parts for next year, new guys, portal guys, some moves may be interdependent.

But one thing that is on my mind is whether Joe will move to the 2. If JB is going to keep Joe at the 1 no matter what then I don't think next year will be any better. Even if JB plays a PG at the 1 (Symir or Copeland or Mintz) during November and December it wouldn't surprise me by January he moves Joe back to 1 because they are not ready.

I figured what position Joe will play at next year should be something JB should be able to answer.

Last edited:
Yeah, but not at 16.5 shots a game at 41% from the floor. That's not a winning formula.

Jesse was shooting 10 FGA/game less than Buddy and was top five in FG% in the country, while actually having to play defense.

We need a more leveled offense because we will not have an offensive star on the floor that is a jump shooter.

Let's see what the makeup of the team is heading into the year, but right now there is no one that should have the disparity in shots that Buddy had this year over the other guys.

If we're promising that role to Cole or to Joe, we're toast.

Lawrence Moten was probably one of the program’s top all time scorers, he shot 50% one of 4 years. Great Jump shooters don’t typically shoot 50%. A guy like Jesse shoots better than 50% because when he shoots, he’s typically shooting a layup or dunk. Those shots aren’t there to get every possession, hence his shots per game are lower than your true volume scorers. If you are a true space clearer inside like Seikaly, Coleman, Bouie etc. you may be a more dynamic inside scorer than Jesse and I might agree with you more.

There will be lots of moving parts for next year, new guys, portal guys, some moves may be interdependent.

But one thing that is on my mind is whether Joe will move to the 2. If JB is going to keep Joe at the 1 no matter what then I don't think next year will be any better. Even if JB plays a PG at the 1 (Symir or Copeland or Mintz) during November and December it wouldn't surprise me by January he moves Joe back to 1 because they are not ready.

I figured what position Joe will play at next year should be something JB should be able to answer.
Agree -Joe doing his best as starting PG yet again continues Roster Malpractice.
Joe is a 2. Also think that fewer minutes (at the 2) should actually help his overall game/effort.

Lawrence Moten was probably one of the program’s top all time scorers, he shot 50% one of 4 years. Great Jump shooters don’t typically shoot 50%. A guy like Jesse shoots better than 50% because when he shoots, he’s typically shooting a layup or dunk. Those shots aren’t there to get every possession, hence his shots per game are lower than your true volume scorers. If you are a true space clearer inside like Seikaly, Coleman, Bouie etc. you may be a more dynamic inside scorer than Jesse and I might agree with you more.

There is a huge gulf between 50% and 41%. Moten was a totally different player than Buddy (or a traditional perimeter jump shooter).

Regardless, I'm not sure what we're disagreeing on. Of course Jesse's shots are more high percentage being at the rim. And they aren't there if you don't work to make them appear. That's why you should work to get more shots at the rim.

Again, my original point was there is no one, as of now, on next year's team that should be shooting 16.5 FGA/game as a jump shooter/perimeter player and being 5 more shots a game higher than the next person. We need more balance and definitely more interior looks. We are 15-16 with this year's strategy. Let's try something different.

There is a huge gulf between 50% and 41%. Moten was a totally different player than Buddy (or a traditional perimeter jump shooter).

Regardless, I'm not sure what we're disagreeing on. Of course Jesse's shots are more high percentage being at the rim. And they aren't there if you don't work to make them appear. That's why you should work to get more shots at the rim.

Again, my original point was there is no one, as of now, on next year's team that should be shooting 16.5 FGA/game as a jump shooter/perimeter player and being 5 more shots a game higher than the next person. We need more balance and definitely more interior looks. We are 15-16 with this year's strategy. Let's try something different.

I guess what we’re disagreeing on is whether or not you can simply work to get Jesse that shot at the rim, or whether he occasionally gets those shots because the defense slacks off of him. If we were clearly working to get him shots, I don’t think he’d be getting the same shots that currently has him over 50%.

problem with swider coming back is that he basically will have to be promised a feature role and if so...

that may or may not be ideal

swider as an option? awesome

swider as the man? could go either way...

if he plays like he did vs unc all season...hes going to the NBA imo...but that is a huge IF

he does have it in him...

could see him following the elijah hughes pattern of year 1 decent, year 2 awesome.

The 2000 team had multiple leaders, multiple guys you could count on. All 5 starters averaged at least 10 PPG and we had a deep bench, with Shumpert, Allen Griffin Tony Bland and Kueth Duany.

I think this team could be that good, if you take away the paternal favoritism. If we can keep most everyone together.

If Joe Girard is your 2G, who is better - him or Tony Bland / young DeShaun Williams ?

Jesse is as dynamic as Etan, although his talents are different.

Swider is about as good as Blackwell - a better rebounder, better shooter, better FT shooter, but not quite the defender. But with another year in the zone, he might be ok?

If we get a stud PG, well, remember that Jason Hart was mostly a defensive PG, decent passer, not great. Decent offensively, but not a top 10 all time guard for us in terms of scoring threat.

Damone Browne as a junior vs. Benny? Browne only averaged 11 and 6 as a junior.

The 2000 team had Shump as the bench F - no rebounding, but a lethal 3 point shooter, even as a soph. But Maliq Brown could be a very good rebounder and defender for us, which would be our missing piece, not points from the F spot.

Of course, could Boeheim really play 9 or 10 guys for almost a whole season? That's what he did with the 2000 team. Lots of guys got serious run on that team.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlsbergMD

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom