A little off-topic, but I want to brag ... | Syracusefan.com

A little off-topic, but I want to brag ...

cto

Administrator
My nephew Kevin Decker, who was recruited by Syracuse as a "preferred walk-on" in 2007, has been named offensive coordinator at Brown University.

Kevin turned down the SU offer because he wanted a better certainty of playing time at quarterback. He went instead to the University of New Hampshire where he was, among other things, the Colonial Athletic Association "player of the year" in 2011 when he ranked 9th nationally in total yardage (among all players). He joined the Brown staff in 2016 as tight end coach, after having held various coaching positions at Montana State.

Kevin's promotion could not have come at a better time for our family. His older brother Billy (the two boys were extremely close) died last month of a heroin overdose, and the family really needed some happy news.

Congratulations, Kevin.

Last edited:
Congrats! Tell him not to run meathead offense. ;)

My nephew Kevin Decker, who was recruited by Syracuse as a "preferred walk-on" in 2007, has been named offensive coordinator at Brown University.

Kevin turned down the SU offer because he wanted a better certainty of playing time at quarterback. He went instead to the University of New Hampshire where he was, among other things, the Colonial Athletic Association "player of the year" in 2011 when he ranked 9th nationally in total yardage (among all players). He joined the Brown staff in 2016 as tight ends coach, after having held various coaching positions at Montana State.

Kevin's promotion could not have come at a better time for our family. His older brother Billy (the two boys were extremely close) died last month of a heroin overdose, and the family really needed some happy news.

Congratulations, Kevin.

So sorry for your family. And congratulations on the new job! Hoping Steven can get into coaching at the collegiate level. Think he'd have a bright future.

Awesome news cto. I'll have to catch a game. If you need restaurant or hotels recs in providence let me know- upstate ny transplant who has been here now 11 years. Thankfully I haven't started dropping r's on some words and adding them to others- yet.

Kevin turned down the SU offer because he wanted a better certainty of playing time at quarterback. He went instead to the University of New Hampshire where he was, among other things, the Colonial Athletic Association "player of the year" in 2011 when he ranked 9th nationally in total yardage (among all players). He joined the Brown staff in 2016 as tight ends coach, after having held various coaching positions at Montana State.

Congratulations, Kevin.
My best there...

I remember that, we had long discussions about what to do with you if you went all Perry Paterson’s ilovmygrands on us.

That would’ve been a tough sword to fall on...

Congratulations to your nephew, Kevin, ad may his success continue. Glad you and the family can share some happiness following the sorrow of the loss of his brother.

Congratulations, Kevin.
Awesome. Condolences and congratulations...

Reactions: 007

Congratulations, Kevin.
Yes, congrats and condolences. I know a local kid who is on the Brown roster. Doesn't look like he has played much but still has a few years of eligibility left. Brown has struggled but hopefully your nephew helps turn it around to help further his career. As you know football coaches move around a lot, especially at his age, so he should have a ton of opportunities in the future.

Congratulations, Kevin.
Condolences - Great news for you and your family about Kevin!

Kevin turned down the SU offer because he wanted a better certainty of playing time at quarterback. He went instead to the University of New Hampshire where he was, among other things, the Colonial Athletic Association "player of the year" in 2011 when he ranked 9th nationally in total yardage (among all players). He joined the Brown staff in 2016 as tight end coach, after having held various coaching positions at Montana State.

Congratulations, Kevin.

Sorry to hear about that connection - I don't know the brothers, but apparently Billy and I have a few mutual friends (Iona Prep and Byram Hills kids, I guess?) because I saw that news going around Facebook a couple weeks ago. Sad to see it.

Congratulations, Kevin.
You are allowed to brag on the success for Kevin! Glad things are going well for him. So sorry on the news about Billy. A life taken too soon is horrible. Prayers of peace to you and the rest of his family.

My mom is good friends with Phil Estes wife. Who is the Brown HC.
Tell your nephew to get ready for trips to Japan.
Estes goes to Japan about every 4 years to help expand the game over there. They have the Ivy-Samuari Bowl.
Estes loves that event.

So it's your nephews fault we had to play Dantley and lose to Akron. Got it. ;)

Reactions: cto

Congratulations, Kevin.
That is fantastic news.

Sorry to hear about that connection - I don't know the brothers, but apparently Billy and I have a few mutual friends (Iona Prep and Byram Hills kids, I guess?) because I saw that news going around Facebook a couple weeks ago. Sad to see it.
Not surprised that you saw something about it. Billy's death made a lot of news in the Westchester media because his mother (a high school teacher) was so honest and open about his struggles with opioids and heroin and because she has become such a crusader in the war against drugs.

Congratulations, Kevin.
Mixed emotions on this post. Nothing worse than losing a child. So happy for Kevin. Hope his success provides some small measure of heart balm. My second daughter was a Brown Bear so I will be rooting for him - and the family.

The opioid crisis has impacted far too many. Congratulations to Kevin. Hope he enjoyed his time in Bozeman.