A Look Into The Future - A Rivalry | Syracusefan.com

A Look Into The Future - A Rivalry

Senore2006

Walk On
The game today should be another exciting match between two proud and very-achieving programs. There has been no shortage of thrills in our last 6-8 years. I look at the mutual move to the ACC as a really killer extension of great basketball, played at the highest level between two respectful and truly competitive programs.

But there's a little more as well. Whereas, owing to our own past, Cincinnati, Marquette, even Memphis were Louisville's biggest rivals based on sheer competitive values, geography and Conferences, I see you guys as being our primary rivals among the admittedly tall trees of the ACC. Your history with Georgetown, UConn, the Johnnies and all that is tremendous, I'm wondering if you guys aren't feeling similarly.

To me, the magic of Pitt has been less than compelling. We may have our own take on that because I am really not sure you guys don't feel differently. After all, you've been beating heads for far longer. And it;s not that I detest or don't respect Pitt. I just don't feel the same energy.

Anyway, here's to another chapter today in what I believe can become one of America's maybe most unlikely but truly interesting rivalries. We're traveling together in a new adventure where I have to suspect we can jot down some names and kick some knees together. I have the very best feelings for your program in the strictest Platonic sense, lol. Of course, I always want to beat your butts, too, but you knew that.

I just want us to beat the crap out of you guys! Nothing more, nothing less. SUball

I'm in.

Geographics don't really matter as long as the teams have a history together. DC and Syracuse aren't exactly close, same with Connecticut.

Syracuse/Louisville is becoming something special.

Well said. I must admit that I was very excited when Louisville joined the ranks. Both football and hoops have been excellent games and it helps that we hate your basketball coach whose never had a good thing to say about our city. Stuff like that fuels a rivalry.

You want blasphemy?

I want to beat you guys more than i want to beat gtown.

Going forward, this is definitely our most meaningful rivalry game.

L'ville is always a game I have circled on the schedule. I think we may be able to have a friendly rivalry if such a thing exsists.

I want to kick l'ville's a$$ everytime we play but at the same time I actually respect your athletic programs. I root for you to kick the p*ss out of the UK kitties, am glad you're joining the ACC, and over all don't wish the same ill will towards the ville that I do for GTown, UConn, and Duke.

This all is subject to change with one more Terrence Jennings type incident.
images

My Louisville family and I feel as you do, Senore. It is not in my constitution to hate other teams (sorry, I can't help it!), but it IS in my constitution to love ours. And I want us to win! All the time, every game. But a rival game against a respected foe is what really gets everyone's juices flowing. When I heard you were coming to the ACC, my heart leapt for joy. Because we will definitely be the ugly step-sisters for a long time in that conference. But with ND, Pitt, and especially the Ville to play, I can now relish the prospect of being in the ACC.

Um, by the way, it is really crucial that we win the game today. I am sorry, but we need it much more than you do. HA HA HA HA! Go Cuse!

I don't see any special rivalry happening. UL will be just another team on the schedule ... like Pitt has been.

As the poster pointed out, we have been playing Pitt a long time with nothing particular emerging.

We have so may other possibilities for rivalries that are emerging. We will have to see what develops.

We have much more of a history with VT from the Big East football days. We have much more overall history with BC.

We have much more in common with the ACC private schools.

UL is more like FSU with whom they have some history.

Actually, Louisville's entry into the ACC was a complete surprise to many. It's a school that really doesn't fit with the any of the others in the ACC. It has much more in common with Memphis than it does any ACC school.

You want blasphemy?

I want to beat you guys more than i want to beat gtown.

Going forward, this is definitely our most meaningful rivalry game.

Whaaaat?

Time to turn in your SU hat and other spirit gear. UL bigger than Georgetown?

Do you even know who Michael Graham was?

Thats not "blasphemy" , that's absurdity.

People are entitled to their own opinions. But this one is on the edge.

Actually I tend to agree, this is going to be a good one moving forward.

Even Greg Robinson owned you bitches.

I agree that Louisville shapes up as SU's new arch-rival after this year. Series' with Gtown and Ucon sound like they may well still happen, will be interesting to see how they unfold without playing in the same league. But SU and Lville make sense, two programs with a lot of history who will enter the league as national powers, creating a new dynamic in what is currently a typically top-heavy league dominated by two premiere powers with their own long-standing rivalry. Nobody else in the current membership really leaps out as an exciting future opponent. Also helps that there's been some fierce competition built up over the last 7 years between the two schools.

I agree that Louisville shapes up as SU's new arch-rival after this year. Series' with Gtown and Ucon sound like they may well still happen, will be interesting to see how they unfold without playing in the same league. But SU and Lville make sense, two programs with a lot of history who will enter the league as national powers, creating a new dynamic in what is currently a typically top-heavy league dominated by two premiere powers with their own long-standing rivalry. Nobody else in the current membership really leaps out as an exciting future opponent. Also helps that there's been some fierce competition built up over the last 7 years between the two schools.

We'll be the new guys that the old ACC powers b*tch about, and we'll be fighting the same issues changing from the BE to the ACC. I think we'll be on the same side of arguements more than not for the forseeable future.

Also, F Duke

Whaaaat?

Time to turn in your SU hat and other spirit gear. UL bigger than Georgetown?

Do you even know who Michael Graham was?

Thats not "blasphemy" , that's absurdity.

People are entitled to their own opinions. But this one is on the edge.
Screw that.

I'm well aware about Georgetown and the history and everything. Growing up John Thompson was darth vader in my eyes.

But you know what, that was 20 years ago. Craig esherick turned Gtown into a patsy and killed the rivalry. They are still a huge game, but they are important because what they used to be, not because of what they are. Big difference to me.

Louisville is important because of what they are now, and what they will continue to be.

Georgetown was the 80s, uconn was the 90s and 00s. Right now Louisville looks like the next big rival.

My awe of Louisville began in the 70's and '80's. Denny Crum, UCLA of the East, pplus the fact that we could NEVER beat them. The one that sticks in my craw is '85-86. I think we were 15-0 going into that game and they brought us to earth. It was almost the thought at that time, if we could only beat them we would be "elite"

Actually, Louisville's entry into the ACC was a complete surprise to many. It's a school that really doesn't fit with the any of the others in the ACC. It has much more in common with Memphis than it does any ACC school.[/quote]

Sorry. If you somehow believe Cuse has more in common with Southern teams than Louisville does, your argument already stands out as at least partially absurd. And this is not some exclusionary thing made up to alienate anyone. Hopefully, all the verities and good things which the South has to offer can be had in this incarnation of ACC sports. With the academic profiles of the schools there, this seems imminently possible. In this regard, ironically, you can represent what is good about your section of the woods as well.

Memphis stayed in our rear view mirrors even when we were locked up, lol. It drove them nutzo in their absolute hatred of Louisville. They have nothing in common with Louisville and never have. In your mind, Memphis and Louisville exist side by side, perhaps. Make no mistake, however - there is a divergence in almost every way from graciousness to morality between the two.

You need to drink a craft beer down here on my dime to see it, lol. Not just one, either.

L'ville is always a game I have circled on the schedule. I think we may be able to have a friendly rivalry if such a thing exsists.

I want to kick l'ville's a$$ everytime we play but at the same time I actually respect your athletic programs. I root for you to kick the p*ss out of the UK kitties, am glad you're joining the ACC, and over all don't wish the same ill will towards the ville that I do for GTown, UConn, and Duke.

This all is subject to change with one more Terrence Jennings type incident.
images

I think this is a friendly rivalry, as I've said it before I think the Ville fan base is the best.

The game today should be another exciting match between two proud and very-achieving programs. There has been no shortage of thrills in our last 6-8 years. I look at the mutual move to the ACC as a really killer extension of great basketball, played at the highest level between two respectful and truly competitive programs.

But there's a little more as well. Whereas, owing to our own past, Cincinnati, Marquette, even Memphis were Louisville's biggest based on sheer competitive values, geography and Conferences, I see you guys as being our primary among the admittedly tall trees of the ACC. Your history with Georgetown, UConn, the Johnnies and all that is tremendous, I'm wondering if you guys aren't feeling similarly.

To me, the magic of Pitt has been less than compelling. We may have our own take on that because I am really not sure you guys don't feel differently. After all, you've been beating heads for far longer. And it;s not that I detest or don't respect Pitt. I just don't feel the same energy.

Anyway, here's to another chapter today in what I believe can become one of America's maybe most unlikely but truly interesting rivalries. We're traveling together in a new adventure where I have to suspect we can jot down some names and kick some knees together. I have the very best feelings for your program in the strictest Platonic sense, lol. Of course, I always want to beat your butts, too, but you knew that.
Obviously it's tough to predict just how the rivalries for SU and UL will play out as we transition to the ACC but my gut tells me that our primary rival will not be Louisville. In today's game, and media promotion, virtually any intra conference game can be billed as a "rivalry". Some rivalries mature a little quicker than others and are perceived differently depending upon the individual or even entire fan base you're asking. For example I don't, never have and (since we're now headed in different directions) never will consider UConn a chief rival. That pseudo rivalry is something created by a younger generation, born from a few epic games and the Huskies relatively recent success. The battle for NY has obviously been with St. Johns and the battle for pride and BE dominance has historically been with G'town. Going forward I am inclined to believe that proximity lends itself to a Pitt rivalry rather than one with UL. As for our primary rival in the ACC, I think there are story lines for potential rivalries with Duke, UNC, NC State as well as UL. My guess is that it will be the team that we battle with for our first few regular season and conference tournament ACC championships. However meeting us for a 3rd time this year, in MSG, for our final BE championship would be a step in the right direction if you'd like to see a SU/UL rivalry continue to develop and endure. LGO!!

Screw that.

I'm well aware about Georgetown and the history and everything. Growing up John Thompson was darth vader in my eyes.

But you know what, that was 20 years ago. Craig esherick turned Gtown into a patsy and killed the rivalry. They are still a huge game, but they are important because what they used to be, not because of what they are. Big difference to me.

Louisville is important because of what they are now, and what they will continue to be.

Georgetown was the 80s, uconn was the 90s and 00s. Right now Louisville looks like the next big rival.

Not to me, it doesn't.

Rivalries grow organically over a period of years base on meaningful games and infamous events. Look at the basis for our "rivalries" with GU and UConn.

Are you forecasting that SU and UL are going to be dueling for the ACC championship? Because that's what it will take.

I don't see Louisville ever approaching that status.

Nothing like that has occurred in the Big East over how many years? Why would things change in the ACC?

I think these UL fans are casting about for a rival feeling a little nervous about going into a Conference where their school is so radically different fundamentally from the others.

I think this is a friendly rivalry, as I've said it before I think the Ville fan base is the best.

What's a "friendly rivalry"?

We have been playing basketball in the Big East for 30+ years. Who are our "friendly rivals"?

Or is this some sort of new concept?

And the UL fan base, to me, reflects the type of school it is and their geographic location.

I almost popped a Louisville fan in the head with my beer at the end of the 09 BET final, as he was talking and taunting everyone around him as SU couldn't quite seal the deal in their memorable 09 run. Of course, every fanbase has a$sholes.

Actually, Louisville's entry into the ACC was a complete surprise to many. It's a school that really doesn't fit with the any of the others in the ACC. It has much more in common with Memphis than it does any ACC school.

Sorry. If you somehow believe Cuse has more in common with Southern teams than Louisville does, your argument already stands out as at least partially absurd. And this is not some exclusionary thing made up to alienate anyone. Hopefully, all the verities and good things which the South has to offer can be had in this incarnation of ACC sports. With the academic profiles of the schools there, this seems imminently possible. In this regard, ironically, you can represent what is good about your section of the woods as well.

Memphis stayed in our rear view mirrors even when we were locked up, lol. It drove them nutzo in their absolute hatred of Louisville. They have nothing in common with Louisville and never have. In your mind, Memphis and Louisville exist side by side, perhaps. Make no mistake, however - there is a divergence in almost every way from graciousness to morality between the two.

You need to drink a craft beer down here on my dime to see it, lol. Not just one, either.[/quote]

The "We are fellow Southerners" argument won't fly.

You may not be aware of this but many ACC schools have very large proportions of their student bodies from NY, NJ, PA, MA and the rest of the States from which SU draws its students. They do this so they can charge them out of State tuition and help keep resident tuitions low. And states like NC have a huge number of Northeastern transplants.

UVA and Maryland are good examples. These campuses are packed with student cars with NJ and NY and PA license plates. Duke has way more Northeastern students than Southern students.

These students and locals know Syracuse well.

To borrow the Dookies chant to Maryland, "You are not our rival!".

So using that logic, one would think that any rivalries that develop would be "New" vs. "Old" and not "New" vs. New".

If there is any kinship, we ought to be more aligned with PITT ... a school we have played in just about everything for 60+ years.

I just can't muster any real hatred for Louisville. I really respect their program and fan base far too much. Still moving to the ACC, we have to understand that Louisville, Pitt, Notre Dame and BC are the only schools who might consider us their primary conference rival. Of those, Louisville is by far the most attractive.

F Louisville. Go Orange

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom