A lot of talk about cancer here last night... some serious, some mocking... | Syracusefan.com

A lot of talk about cancer here last night... some serious, some mocking...

cto

Administrator
...as some folks treated UConn's win like it was the end of the world.

Anyhow, precisely when this was occurring, my friend Susan Wynkoop died last night after a heroic battle with pancreatic cancer. She was one of the nicest, smartest, best all-around people I have ever known and was also one of the nation's first women FBI agents. More importantly, she was a wonderful wife, mother, friend and community leader. I hope this helps put a "game" into perspective for some folks. http://06880danwoog.com/2012/08/03/susan-wynkoop-westports-pioneering-g-woman-photos-tk/

Last edited:

Anyhow, precisely when this was occurring, my friend Susan Wynkoop died last night after a heroic battle with pancreatic cancer. She was one of the nicest, smartest, best all-around people I have ever known and was also one of the nation's first women FBI agents. More importantly, she was a wonderful wife, mother, friend and community leader. I hope this puts a "game" into perspective for some folks. http://06880danwoog.com/2012/08/03/susan-wynkoop-westports-pioneering-g-woman-photos-tk/
CTO, sorry for your loss. But I doubt there is a person here that doesn't know the difference between a game and real life. The games are important while we are watching them. It's why you go all over the country watching the orange. It's why when one of your parents died, you made sure to watch a Syracuse game. They mean something to us. And what you fail to understand is that the hatred for UConn is not pulled out of thin air. They hate us. When they won on saturday, that great guy friend of yours zls, came here and rubbed it in. We can't do that on their board. We wouldn't if we could. That is the type of behavior that brings about hate. Maybe you should post something in his direction. Once again, I'm sorry for your friend.

Anyhow, precisely when this was occurring, my friend Susan Wynkoop died last night after a heroic battle with pancreatic cancer. She was one of the nicest, smartest, best all-around people I have ever known and was also one of the nation's first women FBI agents. More importantly, she was a wonderful wife, mother, friend and community leader. I hope this puts a "game" into perspective for some folks. http://06880danwoog.com/2012/08/03/susan-wynkoop-westports-pioneering-g-woman-photos-tk/
I'm sorry for your loss. If we want to really have perspective about cancer though, maybe everyone should stop donating to sports programs. If you really truly put sports into perspective, all of it is crazy. People close to me are dying of cancer. I also hate UConn and their fans. When I was in high school, I came home from my grandmother's wake, watched Richmond win, lost my , then the next day i went to the funeral. I'm still pissed about richmond.

Last night sucked. Was it a matter of human mortality? Not even close. The context of sport vs. real-life is totally inherent for me, which is why it never needs to be mentioned. But yes, as a Syracuse sports fan, last night sucked.

Sorry for your loss cto... seems several posters here and some of my friends recently had cancer deaths. I don't post often and lately the board a little crazy...but your post does put it into perspective. again, sorry for the loss of your friend.

Condolences for your loss, Joyce. I hope you, her other friends, and her family can find strength in remembering the good times you spent with Susan.

Sorry for your loss! It does bring things in perspective. Life and the enjoyment of living is one of the reasons that I try not to judge, bash or criticize others. Once in awhile, a nerve is struck and I make a comment. Life is simply too short to be miserable.

I'm sorry for your loss Joyce. Your friend sounds like a wonderful woman. I lost my mom on the day the season started this year to a massive stroke. Theres a big difference between the dissappointment of sports and the sadness of losing a loved one, that said my mom would not of been happy if i was rooting for Uconn last night.

The Cancer talk last night made me log off the boards. Couldn't deal with it, with what my daughter is currently going through so I had to step away for the night. People throw that cancer word out far to often to talk about silly stuff. There are tons of people dealing with this at a fatal level to be a joke or a label you throw on someone. My family deals with the struggle of a loved one with cancer on a daily basis with our 4 year old daughter.

Joyce sorry for your loss it is sad to hear. We lose too many good people to cancer.

Anyhow, precisely when this was occurring, my friend Susan Wynkoop died last night after a heroic battle with pancreatic cancer. She was one of the nicest, smartest, best all-around people I have ever known and was also one of the nation's first women FBI agents. More importantly, she was a wonderful wife, mother, friend and community leader. I hope this helps put a "game" into perspective for some folks. http://06880danwoog.com/2012/08/03/susan-wynkoop-westports-pioneering-g-woman-photos-tk/
Sorry for your loss, Cto. Seemed like a very special lady.

I'm very sorry to hear of the loss of your friend cto. My condolences to you and her family and friends.

The Cancer talk last night made me log off the boards. Couldn't deal with it, with what my daughter is currently going through so I had to step away for the night. People throw that cancer word out far to often to talk about silly stuff. There are tons of people dealing with this at a fatal level to be a joke or a label you throw on someone. My family deals with the struggle of a loved one with cancer on a daily basis with our 4 year old daughter.

Joyce sorry for your loss it is sad to hear. We lose too many good people to cancer.

Just out of curiosity--what was all this "cancer talk?" I stayed away from the boards last night due to the inevitable meltdown, but haven't seen any of the posts you are referring to. What were people saying?

Doesn't seem like a topic to joke about.

Like RF2044, I didn't see any of the cancer talk last night, so I don't know the story. What I do know is that three years ago, I lost a dear friend and mentor to pancreatic cancer, and that you have my deepest sympathies. I also think people with even halfway-decent vocabularies ought to have about 25+ words or phrases readily at hand that would be much better than "cancer" in its usual metaphorical usage. Come on, folks.

Just out of curiosity--what was all this "cancer talk?" I stayed away from the boards last night due to the inevitable meltdown, but haven't seen any of the posts you are referring to. What were people saying?

Doesn't seem like a topic to joke about.
unless you're norm macdonald who did the funniest bit in the world comparing alcoholism to cancer

CTO, sorry for your loss. But I doubt there is a person here that doesn't know the difference between a game and real life. The games are important while we are watching them. It's why you go all over the country watching the orange. It's why when one of your parents died, you made sure to watch a Syracuse game. They mean something to us. And what you fail to understand is that the hatred for UConn is not pulled out of thin air. They hate us. When they won on saturday, that great guy friend of yours zls, came here and rubbed it in. We can't do that on their board. We wouldn't if we could. That is the type of behavior that brings about hate. Maybe you should post something in his direction. Once again, I'm sorry for your friend.

Don't see why we can't permanently ban trolls like zls. I've caught his act for years and it wears thin.

I missed it, what did he do?

Several others have commented on how he was rubbing it in. Why would he feel the need to come on our board to gloat? They probably are sick of him on the Boneyard.

Watching a loved one struggle through a long illness is something we never get used to. All we can hope for in death is to be remembered fondly by those who knew us. It seems your friend has touched many lives and will be remembered for many years to come. I'm sorry for your loss.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom