A Post About the Game Tonight | Syracusefan.com

A Post About the Game Tonight

sutomcat

No recent Cali or Iggy awards; Mr Irrelevant
Hope no one minds if I make a post to talk about the game...

I think the game tonight is a really important one for this team, one that could determine if there will be a run in the post season or a quick fizzle to end the Syracuse Big East era.

Why in the world would you think this you might ask? Did you hit your head?

Actually, I did, but I think this thought is unrelated to that unfortunate accident.

I think that this game is muy importante porque it represents a golden opportunity for DaJuan Coleman to get some quality playing time, to build some confidence and prove himself someone who can be the low post presence we so desperately need right now.

He doesn't have to score a ton of points, doesn't have to finish every chance he gets.

He needs to go to the hoop with quick, strong moves, and consistently draw a foul or get a basket.

He needs to rebound well. This sould not be a problem; he is our best rebounder by a large margin.

And just as importantly, he needs to play solid defense. Can't give up uncontested drives to the basket without challenging them. Can't get beat down the floor for an easy layup. Can't let someone behind him for an easy basket.

These are the gaffes that have severely limited his playing time this season. I was hoping the extended stay on the bench recovering from his knee injury would open his eyes to his weaknesses and that he would be a changed defender upon his return. That has not been the case so far. I hope this all changes tonight.

If he plays well tonight, I could see him being a factor in the Gtown game in DC, and see him getting a lot of PT in the BET and beyond. If he bombs tonight, he will probably only get in as a last resort when BMK and RC are both in severe foul trouble.

So DaJuan, it is officially Go Time. Go DaJuan, go!

well put. not to beat a dead horse but also good time for cooney to get some quality min so if trish or mcw does struggle cooney gets a nod after the first half in games.

I think the game tonight is a really important one for this team, one that could determine if there will be a run in the post season or a quick fizzle to end the Syracuse Big East era.

Actually, I did, but I think this thought is unrelated to that unfortunate accident.

I think that this game is muy importante porque it represents a golden opportunity for DaJuan Coleman to get some quality playing time, to build some confidence and prove himself someone who can be the low post presence we so desperately need right now.

He doesn't have to score a ton of points, doesn't have to finish every chance he gets.

He needs to go to the hoop with quick, strong moves, and consistently draw a foul or get a basket.

He needs to rebound well. This sould not be a problem; he is our best rebounder by a large margin.

And just as importantly, he needs to play solid defense. Can't give up uncontested drives to the basket without challenging them. Can't get beat down the floor for an easy layup. Can't let someone behind him for an easy basket.

These are the gaffes that have severely limited his playing time this season. I was hoping the extended stay on the bench recovering from his knee injury would open his eyes to his weaknesses and that he would be a changed defender upon his return. That has not been the case so far. I hope this all changes tonight.

If he plays well tonight, I could see him being a factor in the Gtown game in DC, and see him getting a lot of PT in the BET and beyond. If he bombs tonight, he will probably only get in as a last resort when BMK and RC are both in severe foul trouble.

This more than anything:

I just hope that JB also has your vision and plays him at least 15-20 minutes (assuming we are winning).

Agree with this post but would like to add to it. This is the first year I can remember where I would not ne disappointed having to play the extra day in the BET. It may well give added time to get DC some quality minutes and an additional chance to get him back in the swing of things.

No excuses but for the greater portion of this semester the team has been without one or both of two of their top six in the rotation. If you are not playing well, at least being able to step on the court and work some kinks out seems like it may end up being advantageous.

SUOrange44

Tomcat, when I saw your post I thought you were going to talk about Triche. But I suppose his playing well goes without saying. I like your comments about DaJuan. He was so excited to play for us in the beginning of the year. If there is any way for him to come out of this year feeling hopeful and having more confidence, it is nothing but good for us.

Great post!

Great Post. Coleman's defense and rebounding is key to post season fate. He could make them elite.

By far most talented big offensively.

Also, play Grant more.

Also, play Grant more.

Problem with this is with teams now exclusively zoning we need that shooter on the floor and that is why his minutes have diminished post James returning. Its not as simple as just playing him more.

Tonight is a great game to get DC some extra PT. But stylistically, I expect this to be 100% an up-and-down the floor affair, which isn't a great fit for DC.

I am hoping this is a game where the whole team gets their mojo back. Everyone needs a little confidence boosting right now. This could be the game for it. Even though we were close in most of these losses, it has to affect the players, and they need a game where they remember basketball is fun.

Problem with this is with teams now exclusively zoning we need that shooter on the floor and that is why his minutes have diminished post James returning. Its not as simple as just playing him more.

Completely agree on your point.

I was just referring to tonight's game. DePaul is terrible on defense. I'm hoping we are able to get Grant some minutes tonight to get him going.

In tournament I don't think we will see as much zone. Grant could be a factor then.

IIRC this is right around the time Fab finally started showing some signs of life his freshman year. had a big game against St. John in the BET, for example. If nothing else, some decent minutes from Dajuan would give me hope for a big jump next year.

IIRC this is right around the time Fab finally started showing some signs of life his freshman year. had a big game against St. John in the BET, for example. If nothing else, some decent minutes from Dajuan would give me hope for a big jump next year.
Thought the exact same thing. Fab didn't miss a month in the middle of the season though.

I was just referring to tonight's game. DePaul is terrible on defense. I'm hoping we are able to get Grant some minutes tonight to get him going.

In tournament I don't think we will see as much zone. Grant could be a factor then.
i hope so too. Would be nice for everyone to click tonight

So you're saying DC needs to be everything he hasn't been for the first 29 games. As crazy as that is, I agree.

When I hear people suggesting that JB needs to shake up his line-up, I keep coming back to the fact (IMO) that we're not going anywhere unless BT snaps out of his slump. We may still not go far if we don't have the inside pieces we've been missing: scoring and rebounding. JB might as well play DC until he drops. If we end up losing because of it, we weren't going anywhere anyway.

So you're saying DC needs to be everything he hasn't been for the first 29 games. As crazy as that is, I agree.

When I hear people suggesting that JB needs to shake up his line-up, I keep coming back to the fact (IMO) that we're not going anywhere unless BT snaps out of his slump. We may still not go far if we don't have the inside pieces we've been missing: scoring and rebounding. JB might as well play DC until he drops. If we end up losing because of it, we weren't going anywhere anyway.

Yep.

Can't expect a dramatic improvement from the kid (while it was unlikely that he'd improve a lot during a month-long injury, it seems less likely after his brief appearance on Saturday), but it can only help him to get a ton of court time.

I still think tonight's going to move like the Arkansas game did, but hopefully Coleman can get a good chunk of minutes and gain some sort of comfort level.

The time to develop DC for this year was earlier in the year, not now. Any experience he'll get now will help towards next year.

If we are expecting DC to turn it around for the big dance, then we shouldn't even make the trip.

MCW and BT are going to continue to take 22 shots a game. If they get hot, we'll win. If not, we'll lose. Plain and simple.

In theory yes but I could see DePaul playing some junkyard 2-3 and giving us problems if our zone offense remains the same as in the recent past. But, I agree the teams in the tourney like OSU, MSU, Oklahoma St, etc. will stick to their M2M bread and butter.

I get the point of getting their 'mojo' back playing a team like DePaul but I thought they had their 'mojo' back after the Providence game...

The time to develop DC for this year was earlier in the year, not now. Any experience he'll get now will help towards next year.

If we are expecting DC to turn it around for the big dance, then we shouldn't even make the trip.

MCW and BT are going to continue to take 22 shots a game. If they get hot, we'll win. If not, we'll lose. Plain and simple.
Even this year DC2 gives us some value though. His presence and even small minutes in the first half are usually enough to eliminate any foul concerns at the 5. In some of those games without him there were times where SU was dangerously close to having to find out who goes in after Rak and BMK. I hope DC2 is able to get good minutes tonight, maybe even some second half run. And I hope JB sends the ball into DC2 in the post early.

I do agree with you about the overall point though, this team needs MCW and BT to break out for any NCAAT damage. But it would also be nice to see improvement now out of DC2 to help fuel the hopes for next year.

You're right - this is one last chance for him to get it going against "winnable" opposition. Same thing goes for Cooney, and even Grant, who has struggled a bit since James returned.

Good call, Tom, especially regarding defense. If he falters on D, he will watch the remainder of the season from the bench. On O, I just want him to DUNK it and forget the soft layups.

This is a great point.

Tonight is a great game to get DC some extra PT. But stylistically, I expect this to be 100% an up-and-down the floor affair, which isn't a great fit for DC.
In the general sense I agree but DePaul is the worst defensive team in the league so there should be some easy "feel good" moments out there, despite being an up tempo game. Like tomcat said, he doesn't need to score a ton of points, just maybe a dunk and a couple good post up moves. The key will be on the defensive end, with us playing zone, it will slow them down and give him the chance to show what he has on the inside. I'll take a 8 pts 8 rebound game all day long. Hope he gets the minutes to have a chance at that. I do think wee will see him at the first TV timeout or shortly thereafter.

Tonight is what's called a "get well" game. Just what the doctor ordered.

It would be nice.
But players generally don't develop by sitting on the bench and watching for a few weeks.
Changing someone's fundamental game instincts takes time and a lot of work.

I think we are who we are.
And if we're going to get on a run it will take players believing and maximizing their games.
At least one of the more experienced guys has to step up.
It's happened before.
Remember '06...'96...'75 (as a few may recall).
Look at UConn 2 years ago.
It can happen.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom