A program spinning it's wheels | Syracusefan.com

A program spinning it's wheels

SWC75

Bored Historian
I never quite understood why Nebraska football was such a powerful thing for so many years. It's not a highly populated stated. The weather isn't wonderful. It's not a glamorous place. The one thing I heard about was an amazingly loyal fan base that filled the stadium for decades, giving the program the financial and emotional support it needed to excel. They obviously had some excellent coaches. Their story is something we can identify with the decline of our football, basketball and lacrosse programs. Some of the language in it are things we've heard around here.

“When you watch it, you see that the kids are playing hard,” said Joseph, the 54-year-old associate head coach under Scott Frost and first-year wide receivers coach, “one or two plays away. They came up short. They came up short a lot.”

It's a great mystery. There used to be some ugly rumors about cattle steroids and the AG school.

BTW: Why just pick on Nebraska. There's more programs in the dumper than there are winners.

Last edited:
I never quite understood why Nebraska football was such a powerful thing for so many years. It's not a highly populated stated. The weather isn't wonderful. It's not a glamorous place. The one thing I heard about was an amazingly loyal fan base that filled the stadium for decades, giving the program the financial and emotional support it needed to excel. They obviously had some excellent coaches. Their story is something we can identify with the decline of our football, basketball and lacrosse programs. Some of the language in it are things we've heard around here.

“When you watch it, you see that the kids are playing hard,” said Joseph, the 54-year-old associate head coach under Scott Frost and first-year wide receivers coach, “one or two plays away. They came up short. They came up short a lot.”

I'd imagine the stories the local pokies could tell about player behavior covered up would be legendary - especially during the 70s through early 90s.

I imagine there were many incentives for star players to go there.

Lincoln is a great college town. The whole State gets behind them. Osborne was loved and suffice to say the players were very well taken care of. In addition there were a lot of bad eggs in the program who were protected. Its a cult that rivals Pstate.

Lincoln is a great college town. The whole State gets behind them. Osborne was loved and suffice to say the players were very well taken care of. In addition there were a lot of bad eggs in the program who were protected. Its a cult that rivals Pstate.
lincolncuse would agree. :)

I'd imagine the stories the local pokies could tell about player behavior covered up would be legendary - especially during the 70s through early 90s.

I imagine there were many incentives for star players to go there.
They used to have unlimited gallons back in th 80's.

Nebraska will win the B1G this year, that article guarantees it.