A sign that you know you have done your job as a father | Syracusefan.com

A sign that you know you have done your job as a father

Marsh01

Living Legend
My 11 year old son who is completely obsessive about the sports teams I root for (Syracuse, Giants, Yankees) asks me a lot of questions about the 2003 championship season/game. Stuff like "Dad did you scream when Hakim blocked Lee's shot?"; "Dad how excited were you when they were all jumping on each other?" Stuff like that.

He was 2 and a half during that season and obviously had no interest (or the attention span) to watch or understand anything like this. He says to me last night:

"Dad, I really wish I was 11 years old in 2003 so I could appreciate how great that season was because I am way more a fan now. How come you and mom didnt have me earier?"

I've arrived.

In 1987, my oldest son was nearly 8 years old. The pain of losing the NC game was lessened because I was holding and consoling my son, who was crying his eyes out.

I am reminded of one of my favorite scenes from the movie Parenthood, where Jason Robards explains what it's like to be a parent.

It's like your Aunt Edna's ass, it goes on forever and it's just as frightening. There is no end zone...you never cross the goal line...spike the ball and do your touchdown dance. Ever.

My 11 year old son who is completely obsessive about the sports teams I root for (Syracuse, Giants, Yankees) asks me a lot of questions about the 2003 championship season/game. Stuff like "Dad did you scream when Hakim blocked Lee's shot?"; "Dad how excited were you when they were all jumping on each other?" Stuff like that.

He was 2 and a half during that season and obviously had no interest (or the attention span) to watch or understand anything like this. He says to me last night:

"Dad, I really wish I was 11 years old in 2003 so I could appreciate how great that season was because I am way more a fan now. How come you and mom didnt have me earier?"

I've arrived.
the world would be a better place if more people rooted for those teams.

Is it bad that when I ask my 2 year old son what he wants to watch all he says is Football or Basketball? The only tv the kid wants watch is sports. lol

"Dad, I really wish I was 11 years old in 2003 so I could appreciate how great that season was because I am way more a fan now. How come you and mom didn't have me earlier?"

So what was your answer?

I've arrived.

sounds like your on pace for a hall of fame parenting career.

my boys were 9 & 11 in 03 and they still have pics of Melo, Gmac and Hack on thier bedroom walls (even though the older one is away at school SU) i can't tell you how many times we watched the Orange Odessy and the other DVD that was out at the time. When we win it this year you and your son will have memories to share forever.

I've arrived.
This would be a great OT topic. Takes all the normal rules and constraints of society away and allow us all complete license to brag about our kids and their accomplishments - especially the athletic or sports related ones. I know I could write a couple of pages... :p -