A team grows in Crooklyn | Syracusefan.com

A team grows in Crooklyn

Joe Johnson is terrible and won't be enough to make them a true contender. I understand, they needed to get off to a fast start and get people excited, so they took that anchor on... but, long term..that will look like a really bad move for them.

Joe Johnson is terrible and won't be enough to make them a true contender. I understand, they needed to get off to a fast start and get people excited, so they took that anchor on... but, long term..that will look like a really bad move for them.

Yeah, I'm not a big Joe fan. Deron Williams, on the other hand, is a special player, and Lopez's got game, not expecting them to be a contender (that's cool ... I'm a LeBron/Heat fan), but nice to see a second legit team and rivalry in New York.

Nice piece in The Times on Carmelo returning to the homeland...http://www.nytimes.com/2012/11/27/s...anthony-returns-to-brooklyn.html?ref=nyregion

The Joe Johnson deal is better than the Amare deal. The bar scene in brooklyn was crazy last night the Nets are taking fans from the knicks right and left...in brooklyn anyway. Melo played too many minutes last night (50+) and was gasses in the end. But if J. Kid would have played the knicks win by 10.

Iso Melo ball was back in full effect! He needs Jason Kidd there to calm him down and take the ball away from him at times.

Joe Johnson gets so much hate just because he was overpaid. The guy is still a borderline all-star. Good two way player. Versatile defender, versatile scorer, and he can handle the ball when Deron is resting.

His shot has been off for much of the season, but he seems to be slowly getting going again. If he does, the Nets probably have the best backcourt in the NBA.

Let's not go crazy here. The Nets held serve on their home court...in overtime. And the Knicks were without Kidd. A little perspective please
Just sayin', the Nets won 22 games last year, have won 9 already, and are tied with the Knicks at 9-4. No one would care if the Nets were still in Jersey. The Brooklyn buzz is for real, and good for hoops.

If I am knicks management, I am worried. Not just for the on the court stuff, but the total package in Brooklyn is superior.

msg already has trouble selling out the luxury suites and now it will be that much harder. I am long on the nets.

Iso Melo ball was back in full effect! He needs Jason Kidd there to calm him down and take the ball away from him at times.

J. Kidd was needed to reign in Felton who when 3-19 from the field. Iso ball is ugly basketball but Melo took 16FT the Nets only took 19. He put the Nets in the penalty by himself last night.

J. Kidd was needed to reign in Felton who when 3-19 from the field. Iso ball is ugly basketball but Melo took 16FT the Nets only took 19. He put the Nets in the penalty by himself last night.

JR Smith passing up a breakaway dunk to shoot a contested 3 also wasn't exactly a high IQ play lol.

The teams are very close which is a ton of fun. I think the Nets are only going to get better. Williams and Johnson haven't really clicked yet. Once JJ starts playing well and Deron gets his shot back, Brooklyn is gonna start rolling. I don't expect anyone to overtake the Heat, but the Nets and Knicks could definitely finish second and third in the east I think.

Was surprised at how well the Nets played defensively. This should be a fun rivalry; I think the Knicks are better but it's not a massive gap or anything like that.

I know..but his clutch gene seems to be dissapearing.. the late game heroics he was known for in Denver. Missed his last 7.

For real in what sense?

I don't think the Knicks or Nets are realistic contenders in the East because you have to play good TEAM defense in the playoffs to win a title, and each team has a few too many weak links on the defensive side to win a title. Their coaches? Avery Bradley and Woodson are two guys not too keen on defense. Just don't see it.

Realistically you have to be able to beat Miami and possibly Boston. And when push come to shove, I don't see either team doing that. Playoff basketball differs quite a bit from regular season. Players start caring, stop worrying about rest, and lock down in the half court.

For real in what sense?

I don't think the Knicks or Nets are realistic contenders in the East because you have to play good TEAM defense in the playoffs to win a title, and each team has a few too many weak links on the defensive side to win a title. Their coaches? Avery Bradley and Woodson are two guys not too keen on defense. Just don't see it.

Realistically you have to be able to beat Miami and possibly Boston. And when push come to shove, I don't see either team doing that. Playoff basketball differs quite a bit from regular season. Players start caring, stop worrying about rest, and lock down in the half court.

They are consider two of the best defensive coaches in the NBA. The Knicks D is night and day better than it was a week before he took the job. Since you even know the name of the Nets coach I will stop right there Oh Lord

The Nets might be better now..but by the end of the season, this Knicks team full of crafty vets will gel together and be at their peak. Imagine how good J Kidd, Rasheed, Melo, JR and Chandler will be gelling after 82 games?

I see no one in the East that can beat the Knicks 4 out of 7.

The Nets might be better now..but by the end of the season, this Knicks team full of crafty vets will gel together and be at their peak. Imagine how good J Kidd, Rasheed, Melo, JR and Chandler will be gelling after 82 games?

I see no one in the East that can beat the Knicks 4 out of 7.

Lebron James and the Heat, anyone?

Lebron James and the Heat, anyone?

With Lebron playing down low now, teams are just feasting on the perimeter against them. The new look 3 point shooting Knicks match up so well against the Heat's small lineup that tries to protect the paint at all costs. They give up the most 3's of any team in the league.

Lebron by himself is not enough. Wade is broken down.

They are consider two of the best defensive coaches in the NBA. The Knicks D is night and day better than it was a week before he took the job. Since you even know the name of the Nets coach I will stop right there Oh Lord

Haha I was thinking about the celtics, my apologies. But really those two are considered two of the best? Maybe top 15, but I'm not sure about top tier.

The Knicks defense is night and day with him compared to D'Antoni. Probably couldn't be worse, but that collection of players, isn't good enough as a unit to beat the top teams. They might make it far because the east isn't as good as it was initially thought to be (philly/chicago). But I don't buy them beating the Celtics or Heat in a 7 game series.

And to the person above who said LeBron isn't enough? He did quite a bit last year in the playoffs when Wade was sucking and Bosh was out. Not to mention they've only improved their bench and added Ray Allen as another shooter. I think Boston is the only team that can challenge Miami and possibly Philly if they figure out and Bynum somehow stays healthy.

I would have to disagree with you partly. The Knicks play very good defense, and Woodson was brought in specifically to be the defensive coordinator for D'Antoni last year. They are middle of the pack defensively right now, but that is mainly due to two horrible efforts recently. Last year they finished 5th, one spot behind the NBA champions, and 4 spots ahead of the runner ups.

But Miami is the team to beat, dont think there can be any question about that.

Haha I was thinking about the celtics, my apologies. But really those two are considered two of the best? Maybe top 15, but I'm not sure about top tier.

The Knicks defense is night and day with him compared to D'Antoni. Probably couldn't be worse, but that collection of players, isn't good enough as a unit to beat the top teams. They might make it far because the east isn't as good as it was initially thought to be (philly/chicago). But I don't buy them beating the Celtics or Heat in a 7 game series.

A couple thoughts on this discussion:
1. Who on the Knicks is bad defensively? The only two that have real been that bad in the past is Melo and Novak and possibly Felton. Everyone else is pretty good defensively, and Melo has improved a lot.
2. Not related to what you said, but I still think the Knicks are the better team right now, but I think the Nets will likely be better by the end of the year. I think the Knicks have basically already peaked. The Nets still have a ways to go chemistry wise.

I would have to disagree with you partly. The Knicks play very good defense, and Woodson was brought in specifically to be the defensive coordinator for D'Antoni last year. They are middle of the pack defensively right now, but that is mainly due to two horrible efforts recently. Last year they finished 5th, one spot behind the NBA champions, and 4 spots ahead of the runner ups.

But Miami is the team to beat, dont think there can be any question about that.

Agreed but this years Miami team is one of the smallest in NBA history and have not done well against size. I think both the knicks and the Nets will give them a bigger battle than most people realize.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
newmom4503

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom