A Theory Regarding Marrone | Syracusefan.com

A Theory Regarding Marrone

mlbball99

2nd String
In the light of all of this interviewing, I am trying to look for some positives that may come out of this. What if this was all a plan by Doc Gross and HCDM that Marrone will interview to show the nation he is an NFL worthy coach, but then announces he is 100% committed to staying with Syracuse. Marrone's name gets national attention and recruits see that he is committed to Cuse. Just a though in an ideal world.

I'd love that to be true and that the money starts flowing in to keep Marrone, the whole staff and upgrading the facilities. One can always hope.

Haha yes, Marrone is willing to piss off his NFL endorsers, throw away opportunities to interview for NFL HC positions and trick NFL teams all for a promoted image that will attract national recruits. If that's the case he can kiss goodbye any future career or opportunity again in the NFL.

Foolish post.

I am relatively certain, given what I know of Marrone, that he would not leverage the endorsement of Loomis, Payton and Parcells as well as waste the time of NFL execs/owners all to prove a point to Syracuse. That's not what Doug Marrone's about.

Not entirely foolish. Doing that, and SAYING that's what he's doing are two entirely different things. He could interview for exactly that reason, and simply SAY what everyone else has been saying "he would be an idiot not to at least hear the offers". Also, it wouldn't be a bad negotiating tactic for someone who wants upgraded facilities to interview with some pro teams when the interviews are there for the taking. Either way, he could absolutely be interviewing for leverage in some way, whether it be national attention, or negotiating with SU on funding for the program, and as long as he says and does the right things throughout the process, there's no reason bridges have to be burned.

Not buying this theory. Having your name out there as a candidate will effect recruiting. Saying it wont is being naive. Why shoot yourself in the foot if you plan on staying here.

I think the guy just wants to coach in the NFL. He's tired of begging 16/17 yr olds to play here, tired of begging for money, tired of luncheons and other smoozing, the guy just wants to coach football. If you suck, you get cut. If they want you, they throw money at you. Look at Marrones pics in his introductory press conference vs some more recent ones. The guy has aged at an alarming rate.

Full disclosure: All this is pure speculation on my part

So, the 2 teams I have heard Marrone's name attached to are Cleveland & Buffalo. He's got an interview setup with Cleveland, but one has to imagine that he might prefer the Buffalo job. Am I wrong?

So, the 2 teams I have heard Marrone's name attached to are Cleveland & Buffalo. He's got an interview setup with Cleveland, but one has to imagine that he might prefer the Buffalo job. Am I wrong?
also, interest from philly, kc and bears reported.

In the light of all of this interviewing, I am trying to look for some positives that may come out of this. What if this was all a plan by Doc Gross and HCDM that Marrone will interview to show the nation he is an NFL worthy coach, but then announces he is 100% committed to staying with Syracuse. Marrone's name gets national attention and recruits see that he is committed to Cuse. Just a though in an ideal world.
can't put the toothpaste back in the tube.

why? cleveland has new ownership and a pretty clear focus to up the organizational quality on all fronts (them being the front runner for Kelly is telling). is that evident at all in buffalo? they seem to be a mess of an organization.

also, interest from philly, kc and bears reported.

Yeah, I had only heard officially that he was interviewing with just Cleveland. Now, I hear he will interview with Cleveland, Buffalo, Philly.

why? cleveland has new ownership and a pretty clear focus to up the organizational quality on all fronts (them being the front runner for Kelly is telling). is that evident at all in buffalo? they seem to be a mess of an organization.

How are they any more of a mess than Cleveland? And who said Cleveland is the front runner for Kelly?

How are they any more of a mess than Cleveland? And who said Cleveland is the front runner for Kelly?

I heard they were outfront on him. Some NFL.com folks were talking about it. Might not mean anything, but they were apparently pretty aggressive about getting in touch with him...which says something.

Cle's ownership is stable and new. their defense is pretty good right now. they have the best young rb in the league. the bills might not even be in buffalo in 5 years and the folks who have run them horribly are still there.

Not buying this theory. Having your name out there as a candidate will effect recruiting. Saying it wont is being naive. Why shoot yourself in the foot if you plan on staying here.

I think the guy just wants to coach in the NFL. He's tired of begging 16/17 yr olds to play here, tired of begging for money, tired of luncheons and other smoozing, the guy just wants to coach football. If you suck, you get cut. If they want you, they throw money at you. Look at Marrones pics in his introductory press conference vs some more recent ones. The guy has aged at an alarming rate.

Full disclosure: All this is pure speculation on my part

Wait till he gets a load of the Philly fans and the press and multiple sports radio call-in shows that are on 24 hours a day.

When he pulls the old "I didn't do a good job coaching" stuff he will be roasted.

Believe me- its Nirvana in college at SU compared to the whacking that professional football coaches get in places like Philly or Chicago or Baltimore.

I would be very surprised if Cleveland were to go with Marrone as HC. Their next HC needs to be a top, proven name or they risk alienating an already edgy fanbase. HCDM just doesn't have the pedigree to accomplish this when there are so many more proven coaches out there. Yes, SU was horrible when he took over and he's made us respectable, but a .500 record in the BE will not impress any Browns fans.

I really don't see HCDM getting a HC position this time around. That doesn't mean he won't get offered an OC job, which might intrigue him if he's really that disappointed with SU.

Doug is in for a rude surprise if he goes to the NFL. The media is 100x rougher than in Syracuse. So are the fans.

Doug is in for a rude surprise if he goes to the NFL. The media is 100x rougher than in Syracuse. So are the fans.
It's not like he hasn't seen what it's like in the NFL. I think he has a pretty good idea what it would be like as a HC in terms of dealing with media and fans.

Unless they unload a brinks truck for Kelly, he ain't going there. Even then Oregon would do whatever it took to keep him as they are a national power and don't want to lose momentum. And I am not sure Cleveland is in a position to be picky here. They did the Holmgren route (vet coach with pedigree). They did the Butch Davis route (hot college coach with NFL background). They did the Shurmer route (Hot NFL coordinator). They need to pick a lane. Buffalo is all hot in the pants for Wisenhunt. So Buffalo is out IMO. Chicago and Philly want big names. Cleveland is either where he lands or not. Cleveland is not that far away from being competitive.

It's not like he hasn't seen what it's like in the NFL. I think he has a pretty good idea what it would be like as a HC in terms of dealing with media and fans.
There is a big, big difference when the bullets are being fired at you or at someone else.

Unless they unload a brinks truck for Kelly, he ain't going there. Even then Oregon would do whatever it took to keep him as they are a national power and don't want to lose momentum. And I am not sure Cleveland is in a position to be picky here. They did the Holmgren route (vet coach with pedigree). They did the Butch Davis route (hot college coach with NFL background). They did the Shurmer route (Hot NFL coordinator). They need to pick a lane. Buffalo is all hot in the pants for Wisenhunt. So Buffalo is out IMO. Chicago and Philly want big names. Cleveland is either where he lands or not. Cleveland is not that far away from being competitive.
Cleveland's new owner will be able to land a pretty good coach and they will make sure they do everything possible to make the right hire. He also has a lot more $$$ than the previous owner and comes from the Steelers organization. As you said, they are not that far away from being competitive, which puts them in a better position than KC, Buffalo, Arizona and Philly in terms of luring an established coach who won't want to completely start from scratch. They have the 2nd youngest roster in the NFL with 29 of their 53 players in their 1st or 2nd years.

I really don't see Cleveland hiring Marrone.

NFL assistants do not deal with the media week in and week out. He has a view of what it's like to deal with the media in a very small market as the HC of a college FB team. I think the point is that it's simply not at all close to dealing with the media as an NFL HC. Apples and oranges (no pun intended). I happen to agree BTW.

I hope this is true, because we're going on 3 days of interview reports with absolutely no denials coming from DM or SUAthletics.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
newmom4503

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom