A win is a win but my god that was Brutal to watch. | Syracusefan.com

A win is a win but my god that was Brutal to watch.

JeremyCuse

Renowned lacrosse analyst
Game played out as I feared, Syracuse played dis-interested in front of basically an empty dome and there was zero sense of urgency. Daddio was brutal in the first quarter but was 10-6 the rest of the game including four in a row in the third.

There were a few bright spots, I thought the close D guys for the most part were pretty good. Mullins completely shut down Bingo's best player, sort of a quiet game for Young didnt hear his name much but that usually means hes doing his job. Harris seemed to get burned on a goal early but after that I think he was OK, overall a good D performances where we probably let in 2 goals we shouldn't have. Thought the SSDM's were again fair at best, to much room for a couple of shooters though I thought we were pretty good in limiting there dodging attempts. I thought both Goalies played good, some nice saves from both. Though Bobby let in a couple he should have had to start the half but he was very good after that. Galasso again looked great, he needs to start. Rice and Donahue were both good as always though I thought they had a little to much one on one inverting going on. Schoonmaker must still be hurt just doesn't look himself out there.

Alright time to touch on the negative.

Rough game for Staats, needs to stop trying to be a bigger version of Lyle Thompson. He turns it over once a game trying to make the ESPN highlight pass versus a regular one, really needs to stop that. Second the 1 on 4 Mikey Powell impression needs to stop as well. A it doesn't work and B he doesn't draw a flag and usually ends up turning it over. He needs to play within the offense, when he did that he had a couple of great looks he buried. He may still be adjusting to Div 1, those types of moves may have worked at OCC vs Genesseo but against D1 defenses its almost a guaranteed turnover.

Speaking of turnovers does this team practice passing? Every pass seems like it 4 feet over the head of the intended target and 3 feet to one side. We had at least half a dozen unforced terrible turnovers including one late with about 3-4 minutes left that was horrific.

I hate to get on him because hes taking a beat here the past few years but Drew Jenkins had the worst turnover I have ever seen in a Syracuse lacrosse game ever and no im not exaggerating it. Thank god Bingo didn't score on that but my god.

Thought Desko and the staff made some mistakes offensively. To much invert from Rice and Donahue who would ran about 3 dozen question mark dodges and moves from behind the cage with one goal to show for it. We need to run more from up top with guys like Galasso. Lecky had a nice goal early but he seems to start his dodge and then peel off when a seem finally emerges. We need to get back to the off ball movement and crisp passing we saw earlier in the year. The last two games this great offense with all its depth and efficiency has been a little disappointing, left a lot of goals out there. The last few games it seems the offense is a Rice or Donahue invert, Lecky dodge to nowhere, Staats 1 on 3. Bingo seemed to be playing almost a matchup zone at times, surprised we didn't try Dejoe or Walters to get some shots from distance against a true frosh goalie making his first start.

Time to bump Galasso to first mid line to take Loy's spot. Loy missed a couple of point blank looks that were easily saved by the Bingo goalie and then dropped a great pass for a doorstep goal that he should have buried. Loy is supposed to be the shooter on the first mid line but hes not really bringing that and Galasso is really starting to come on. Tough to get to down on the offense overall but we left at least 5 goals out there including a couple of pipes. There is so much depth we cant get Dylan Maltz, Westin or even Evans any PT. By the way awful decision to not try to medically redshirt him after the ankle injury.

Good to have a week off. Hope we can continue to work on D and to try and get the offensive back to where it was. Would like to see us go back to running three mid lines and getting guys set in one place. Donahue was running some middie today which I thought was a bit odd. Also think Staats should go back to pure attack, he seems better suited there, he can rotate with Maltz who was MIA today.
With 6 days off hopefully Schoonmaker, Mcdermott, and the other guys banged up can get healthy, obviously next Wed is an enormous game that looks like it will be played in bad conditions (like it always is ) at cornell. Going to need a great D performance that game, really hope were working with Harris at close and with the SSDM's. With all the offensive depth really would like to see us take some bigger guys and see what they can do on D. Nothing against Jenkins, Grimm, Messina and others but those guys look tiny out there against D mids, and the size differential was clear going up against a guy like Jones at Duke.

All in all happy to get the win but this team still has a lot of work to do and still hasn't had a complete game this year.

IMO Ward takes some bad shots at the wrong time, He survived against Binghamton but .. The last 2 Games Rice has made critical turnovers in the last minute of the Game, but he made up for it by scoreing Goals. And my eyes were burning

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cusethunder

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom