ACC 15-team basketball, 3 pods? | Syracusefan.com

ACC 15-team basketball, 3 pods?

BlackKnight76

All American
Until ND mans up and joins all the way for football and the ACC adds a 16th team, I think 15 would work best in three, five team pods.

Syracuse/BC/ND/Pitt/Maryland
Duke/UNC/Wake/NCST/UVa
VT/GT/Miami/FSU/Clemson

or something along those lines. Play home and homes with your pod, and one game a year with everyone else. We'd (hopefully) get Duke or UNC at the Dome every year.

If they stay as one division you have 14 games against the other teams and then play 4 of them again to get to 18. (Basically the same as your pod format but the home and home series are rotated each year). Probably easier than having pods different than the football divisions.

Believe Swofford said they are not splitting basketball up.

I don't care what they've been reporting, I think they'll be adding another school - 15.5 FB schools, 16 BBall schools...and they'll keep the two divisions.

I don't care what they've been reporting, I think they'll be adding another school - 15.5 FB schools, 16 BBall schools...and they'll keep the two divisions.
They don't have two divisions for basketball now (or next year with us and Pitt).

They don't have two divisions for basketball now (or next year with us and Pitt).

you're right - they have that stupid Partner system where we get stuck playing BC twice a year. Well if they keep the partner system, they'll need to find ND someone to partner up with.

you're right - they have that stupid Partner system where we get stuck playing BC twice a year. Well if they keep the partner system, they'll need to find ND someone to partner up with.

Navy. Just throwing that out there.

Pods would make for a lousy home-and-home slate for SU. Notre Dame draws well. Beyond that, not so much. Then again, I think the opponent appeal of the ACC move for basketball is a bit overstated.

Until ND mans up and joins all the way for football and the ACC adds a 16th team, I think 15 would work best in three, five team pods.

Duke/UNC/Wake/NCST/UVa
VT/GT/Miami/FSU/Clemson

or something along those lines. Play home and homes with your pod, and one game a year with everyone else. We'd (hopefully) get Duke or UNC at the Dome every year.

I would want the pods to be fair competitively though. So I rather see something like:

ND, BC, Pitt, FSU, Miami
SU, MD, UVA, VT, Wake
UNC, Duke, NC St, Clemson, GA Tech

That is kinda geographically sound, keeps most rivalries, and is pretty even. I am sure UVA would love your pods but at the same time shouldn't they be playing VT twice a year? And the pod you have for us simply is not fair. We could go 10-8 and FSU 12-6 but be the better team. It will be difficult to make everyone happy though. As mine Wake would be pissed.

Another possibility is going to 16 games with 5 pods of 3 teams each. So play 14 like games and then your two pod mates a second time.

SU, Pitt, BC
MD, UVA, VT
UNC, Duke, NC St
GA Tech, Wake, Clemson
ND, FSU, Miami

That is a little more fair.

Or you could have permanent rivals but no pods.

For instance SU would have:

Everyone once (14 games)
ND, BC, Pitt, Miami a 2nd time every year

Other permanent rivals:

BC- SU, ND, Pitt, UVA
Pitt- SU, ND, BC, VT
ND- BC, Pitt, SU, Miami
UNC- Duke, NC St, UVA, Clemson
Duke- UNC, MD, Wake, GA Tech
NC St- UNC, Wake, Clemson, FSU
MD- Duke, UVA, Wake, VT
UVA- MD, VT, UNC, BC
VT- UVA, Wake, Pitt, MD
Wake- NC St, VT, Duke, MD
Clemson- GA Tech, FSU, NC St, UNC
GA Tech- Clemson, Miami, Duke, FSU
FSU- Miami, Clemson, NC St, GA Tech
Miami- FSU, GA Tech, SU, ND

That is a lot more complex but it would make everyone happy while being fair competitively.

Duke/UNC/Wake/NCST/UVa
VT/GT/Miami/FSU/Clemson

That last pod is a joke compared to the first two. They would have spread the weight out a little more...

I would want the pods to be fair competitively though. So I rather see something like:

ND, BC, Pitt, FSU, Miami
SU, MD, UVA, VT, Wake
UNC, Duke, NC St, Clemson, GA Tech

That is kinda geographically sound, keeps most rivalries, and is pretty even. I am sure UVA would love your pods but at the same time shouldn't they be playing VT twice a year? And the pod you have for us simply is not fair. We could go 10-8 and FSU 12-6 but be the better team. It will be difficult to make everyone happy though. As mine Wake would be pissed.
quote]
Wake is in North Carolina. Shouldn't they stay with UNC and Duke and NC St? Miami and FSU have to play the teams furthest North and West? Makes more sense to group them with GaTEch and Clemson and let the northern teams play each other (SU, Pitt, BC, Maryland and ND) It's one thing to have a conference spread out over huge distances but why force teams to travel farther than they have too.

Pods would make for a lousy home-and-home slate for SU. Notre Dame draws well. Beyond that, not so much. Then again, I think the opponent appeal of the ACC move for basketball is a bit overstated.

The opponent appeal of the ACC move pretty much comes down to 2 schools. So I agree with you.

The opponent appeal of the ACC move pretty much comes down to 2 schools. So I agree with you.

Yep. Beyond Duke and UNC, not a lot. We've seen what SU fans' interest in Carolina State is. And it drops off from there. Much of the league is going to be every bit the dogs South Florida and DePaul are.

It's a football-driven move with primarily football appeal. On the hoops side, I'm just interested to see if officials tighten it up and let us play more ACC-style games with scores in the 90s and less thuggery.

Also, a friend of mine pointed out yesterday that it's entirely possible the conference could split off into a north and south, if for scheduling if nothing else. North could be something like SU, Pitt, ND, BC, Va Tech, Virginia, Maryland, and fill in your additional school here, very possibly from the BE. So basically the old BE plus UVA and Maryland.

As someone who lives in NYC and doesn't go to a lot of games at the dome (usually one per year, and we try to make it against a good opponent; UConn or Gtown or Pitt) the move is a huge bummer in a number of ways. No more BET at MSG, fewer cool games at the Dome for me to go to, and fewer road games in the NYC area for me to go to.

Also, a friend of mine pointed out yesterday that it's entirely possible the conference could split off into a north and south, if for scheduling if nothing else. North could be something like SU, Pitt, ND, BC, Va Tech, Virginia, Maryland, and fill in your additional school here, very possibly from the BE. So basically the old BE plus UVA and Maryland.

As someone who lives in NYC and doesn't go to a lot of games at the dome (usually one per year, and we try to make it against a good opponent; UConn or Gtown or Pitt) the move is a huge bummer in a number of ways. No more BET at MSG, fewer cool games at the Dome for me to go to, and fewer road games in the NYC area for me to go to.
Maybe not. SU will want to maintain a presence there and will most likely continue to schedule against St. Johns, Villanova and UConn at the very least.

Maybe not. SU will want to maintain a presence there and will most likely continue to schedule against St. Johns, Villanova and UConn at the very least.

Hopefully you're right. I'll amend that to fewer mandatory road games.

Navy. Just throwing that out there.
I don't think Navy wants their bball team (or any non-fb team) in a major conference. Navy football would make a ton of sense, but not Navy bball (hence the Georgetown-Navy package idea, bc Gu makes the most sense form a purely bball/acedemic perspective, and Navy makes the most sense from a purely football perspective.)

Hopefully you're right. I'll amend that to fewer mandatory road games.
They've said that they are keeping SU-STJ, SU-UCONN (I am 90% sure), and SU-Georgetown, but I don't see us playing an ACC schedule plus those rivalries, plus more top-tier BIG EAST teams every year. I'll miss SU-'Nova. We recruit really well out of Philly, and we seem to pack the dome when they come to town.

They've said that they are keeping SU-STJ, SU-UCONN (I am 90% sure), and SU-Georgetown, but I don't see us playing an ACC schedule plus those rivalries, plus more top-tier BIG EAST teams every year. I'll miss SU-'Nova. We recruit really well out of Philly, and we seem to pack the dome when they come to town.
Where did you read that? I know they have said "We'd like to continue rivalries X, Y, Z" but I haven't seen anywhere a statement saying they are "keeping SU-STJ, SU-UCONN, and SU-Georgetown." Not sure this is a sure thing at all.

no way - they can get a much better name than that

The Naval Academy...does that sound better? ;)

As I said in the football thread about Navy and certainly about Georgetown, I have to wonder if Maryland would put their foot down and say no. I see no reason why they would allow GTown in the league they have been in for many years. If BC, who hasn't been there that long, can stop UConn, I'd have to think Maryland would have more pull then they do and stop this from ever going anywhere near the ACC.

Plus regarding pods, they are way too dependent on teams being consistent and with only 5 teams chances of an imbalance of good teams is too probable, just have 1 15 team conference and earn your way to the top.

What you proposed would work if Maryland and Virginia Tech were willing to give up some rivalries.

North
Boston College
Maryland
Notre Dame
Pitt
Syracuse

Atlantic
Duke
North Carolina
NC State
Virginia
Wake Forest

South
Clemson
Florida State
Georgia Tech
Miami
Virginia Tech

Having an 18 game schedule means you play everyone. Play your pod twice = 8 games. Play the other pods once = 10.

What you proposed would work if Maryland and Virginia Tech were willing to give up some rivalries.

North
Boston College
Maryland
Notre Dame
Pitt
Syracuse

Atlantic
Duke
North Carolina
NC State
Virginia
Wake Forest

South
Clemson
Florida State
Georgia Tech
Miami
Virginia Tech

Having an 18 game schedule means you play everyone. Play your pod twice = 8 games. Play the other pods once = 10.
That will be the breakdown--4 X 2 plus 10 X 1. But, there will be a single, 15-team league, and the 4 home-and-homes will not be the same every year.

North
Boston College
Maryland
Notre Dame
Pitt
Syracuse

Atlantic
Duke
North Carolina
NC State
Virginia
Wake Forest

South
Clemson
Florida State
Georgia Tech
Miami
Virginia Tech

Your Atlantic Division would have nothing but home games with the exception of Virginia. :D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
newmom4503

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom