ACC, ACC Chant at Game | Syracusefan.com

ACC, ACC Chant at Game

Townie72

All American
I am completely mystified as to why the Georgetown fans thought that chanting "ACC, ACC" would in any way upset the Syracuse faithful. Especially given the uncertainty attached to the New, New, New, New, New Big East (also known as the Catholic 7 plus Xavier and Butler).

There's a strong possibility that the new conference is their escalator to a Mid-Major status. They are almost certainly going to take an attendance hit. Who in the Catholic 7+2 is going to sell out the Verizon Center? All of these schools have small fan bases because they are small, private schools.

Meanwhile, we are going off to play UNC and Duke and a lot of schools with large fan bases. We will be the ones playing Notre Dame, and Georgetown won't be. We will be playing Maryland --- at least next year --- and Georgetown will not be.

If they had a brain they would be chanting, "Don't leave us behind. Don't leave us behind"

The ONLY thing I was glad about yesterday was that in spite of that ignominious defeat, our future is bright. We are just about in the ACC. Only a few more months and we are safe on the rescue boat.

So why did they think this chant was a good idea? How did they think this would irritate or offend us in any way?

I would imagine for the same reason they felt rushing the court after beating a lesser ranked opponent was a good idea. It's a good school, but they don't act like they are terribly bright...

Well when West Virginia fan's did it to BC and then Wake Forest on the same night in the NCAA tournament several years ago it was hilarious. It's not original but I say that chant was fair game.

Well when West Virginia fan's did it to BC and then Wake Forest on the same night in the NCAA tournament several years ago it was hilarious. It's not original but I say that chant was fair game.

Well, I doubt any West Virginia fans would appreciate anyone yelling "Big 12" at them these days. Both their football and basketball teams are being regularly crushed. WVU is one of the real losers in the conference expansion game. They got into a conference that exposed their real weaknesses. Remember, until VT and Miami left and we went into our football nosedive, WVU did little in the Big East.

WVU fans big problem with the ACC is that they wouldn't invite WVU even though it made geographic sense to the WVU people. WVU is now complaining loudly about the travel requirements in the Big 12. And they already had rivalries of a sort with Maryland and Virginia Tech and would like badly to have a rivalry with the blazer-wearing snobs at UVA.

I am completely mystified as to why the Georgetown fans thought that chanting "ACC, ACC" would in any way upset the Syracuse faithful. Especially given the uncertainty attached to the New, New, New, New, New Big East (also known as the Catholic 7 plus Xavier and Butler).

There's a strong possibility that the new conference is their escalator to a Mid-Major status. They are almost certainly going to take an attendance hit. Who in the Catholic 7+2 is going to sell out the Verizon Center? All of these schools have small fan bases because they are small, private schools.

Meanwhile, we are going off to play UNC and Duke and a lot of schools with large fan bases. We will be the ones playing Notre Dame, and Georgetown won't be. We will be playing Maryland --- at least next year --- and Georgetown will not be.

If they had a brain they would be chanting, "Don't leave us behind. Don't leave us behind"

The ONLY thing I was glad about yesterday was that in spite of that ignominious defeat, our future is bright. We are just about in the ACC. Only a few more months and we are safe on the rescue boat.

So why did they think this chant was a good idea? How did they think this would irritate or offend us in any way?

Well, this may be true. But, I vividly recall our fans back in the fall of '03 when we beat up BC in their last football game in the Dome/prior to them moving to the ACC. Our fans were quite emphatically chanting out the same thing. I remember just doing this.....Oh Lord :bang: !!!!!

WVU wasn't exposed by the B12, their team is just not very good this year. They lost to Duquesne, a team that carries an 8-22 (1-15 A10) record right now.

While the ACC will undoubtedly be the better overall conference, the Big East will still be very good basketball wise. Deeper than the schools they're leaving behind.

While the ACC will undoubtedly be the better overall conference, the Big East will still be very good basketball wise. Deeper than the schools they're leaving behind.

As of right now, the Catholic 7+ 2 is a good basketball conference. But all these current players were recruited into a conference with UConn and Pitt and Syracuse and WVU in it.

Even if its good, who will watch it? And if fewer people watch it, then what? They now have to compete for TV eyeballs with an ACC that has Syracuse and Louisville and Pitt. They got weaker. The competition got stronger.

Almost every conference is deeper than The Big Leftover Conference.

Well, this may be true. But, I vividly recall our fans back in the fall of '03 when we beat up BC in their last football game in the Dome/prior to them moving to the ACC. Our fans were quite emphatically chanting out the same thing. I remember just doing this.....Oh Lord :bang: !!!!!

We were also doing it in the final Big East football game at Townie's favorite non Cuse school in 2004 aka the "Night Diamond Ferri stomped on the superfans' sombrero hats"

within 2 years, Gtown home games will close the 400 levels at Verizon.
This year, 20,972 for us, 17,474 for Lville (#2 crowd) and 13,011 for Pitt (#4 crowd). Gone. Under 10k for DPaul, SH and Prov. Last year one of their biggest crowds was ND. Gone. Don't forget they also (likely) lose games with UConn (another of their biggest crowds). Their games will be on a network that will be hard to find. And no more Big Monday. Kiss them good bye indeed.

Well, I doubt any West Virginia fans would appreciate anyone yelling "Big 12" at them these days. Both their football and basketball teams are being regularly crushed. WVU is one of the real losers in the conference expansion game. They got into a conference that exposed their real weaknesses. Remember, until VT and Miami left and we went into our football nosedive, WVU did little in the Big East.

WVU fans big problem with the ACC is that they wouldn't invite WVU even though it made geographic sense to the WVU people. WVU is now complaining loudly about the travel requirements in the Big 12. And they already had rivalries of a sort with Maryland and Virginia Tech and would like badly to have a rivalry with the blazer-wearing snobs at UVA.

If Louisville was all along identified as the clear next team to the ACC (uconns lucky bcs and nc runs clouded an obvious decision head to head between them) WVA becomes a better choice than Pitt head to head because Pitt isn't amazing academically and WVA and Lville are similar.

Compared to us and the rest of the ACC WVA comes up well short. But if the ACC knew it would be adding Lville then WVA becomes a good fit and a better one than Pitt. I'd rather have them in the league than Pitt, let Pitt be with Cincy and uconn. Pitt wouldn't have gotten a Big 12 invite either IMO if WVA went with us.

If Louisville was all along identified as the clear next team to the ACC (uconns lucky bcs and nc runs clouded an obvious decision head to head between them) WVA becomes a better choice than Pitt head to head because Pitt isn't amazing academically and WVA and Lville are similar.

Compared to us and the rest of the ACC WVA comes up well short. But if the ACC knew it would be adding Lville then WVA becomes a good fit and a better one than Pitt. I'd rather have them in the league than Pitt, let Pitt be with Cincy and uconn. Pitt wouldn't have gotten a Big 12 invite either IMO if WVA went with us.

Pitt is Oxford compared to West Virginia.

Pitt is Oxford compared to West Virginia.

I agree on Pitt being way better academically than WVU.

But the point remains that the ACC moved the academic goal posts for admission between the time they turned up their nose at WVU and they accepted Louisville.

WVU wasn't exposed by the B12, their team is just not very good this year. They lost to Duquesne, a team that carries an 8-22 (1-15 A10) record right now.
Does Huggins still pull northeast kids now that they are in B12?

I agree on Pitt being way better academically than WVU.

But the point remains that the ACC moved the academic goal posts for admission between the time they turned up their nose at WVU and they accepted Louisville.

I don't think the ACC wanted to take Louisville either. They were a backfiller for Maryland. If Maryland doesn't leave, I don't think Louisville gets an invite.

WVU was already gone - maybe if they were available they would have received an invite instead.

I don't think the ACC wanted to take Louisville either. They were a backfiller for Maryland. If Maryland doesn't leave, I don't think Louisville gets an invite.

WVU was already gone - maybe if they were available they would have received an invite instead.

That's exactly what I am saying. When WVU wanted to join the ACC --- and they did because it makes sense for them, especially from a geography standpoint --- the ACC said, "No, your academics are too bad for us to even consider you."

WVU goes to the Big 12 where things aren't working well for them including issues with the amount of travel they have to do, Maryland leaves the ACC, and the ACC then invites Louisville with even worse academics than WVU to backfill for MD leaving.

Lots of WVU fans are saying "What"? And understandably so. WVU isn't Duke, but at least its a real university. UL is a 4 years version of an urban community college.

WVU got screwed, assuming that they would have preferred the ACC. And I say they would have. They already had some rivals including some close geographical rivalries like Pitt and VT (and Maryland briefly)

That's exactly what I am saying. When WVU wanted to join the ACC --- and they did because it makes sense for them, especially from a geography standpoint --- the ACC said, "No, your academics are too bad for us to even consider you."

WVU goes to the Big 12 where things aren't working well for them including issues with the amount of travel they have to do, Maryland leaves the ACC, and the ACC then invites Louisville with even worse academics than WVU to backfill for MD leaving.

Lots of WVU fans are saying "What"? And understandably so. WVU isn't Duke, but at least its a real university. UL is a 4 years version of an urban community college.

WVU got screwed, assuming that they would have preferred the ACC. And I say they would have. They already had some including some close geographical rivalries like Pitt and VT (and Maryland briefly)

West Virginia getting screwed is fine by me. And fine by Marvin Graves.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom