ACC and state schools... | Syracusefan.com

ACC and state schools...

orangefan13

Hall of Fame
One thing I find interesting about the ACC is the lack of state schools.
correct me if I am wrong but...

Florida state unc, nc state, virginia, and Maryland are the only state schools of the ACC.
If Florida State was to leave the ACC would have no football powerhouse as a state school.

While it might not mean much when you compare it to other conferences its interesting especially from a football perspective.

Big 10 has Michigan, Michigan State, OSU, Penn State, Nebraska, Wisconsin, Minnesota,
Big 12 has Kansas, Kansas State, Okie, Okla State, Texas, Missouri, Iowa State, WVU.
SEC has Florida, Alabama, LSU, Georgia, Tenn, Arkansas, South Carolina,
Pac 12 has Utah, Utah State, California, Washington, Washington State, Arizona, Arizona State, Colorado leaving out USC, UCLA and Stanford some big names.

On a side note the big east will be pretty much stuck with Uconn.
I really wish to this day we had a chance to become a state school. Its never a minus being a state school.

If you are calling state schools those that simply have the state's name as a part of their name, what is the point? If you want to talk about state schools as being those that are land grant colleges, then that would be a different story. :noidea:

Georgia Tech, Virginia Tech, Clemson and Pitt should be added to your list.

You're also missing 4+2 state schools in the SEC. You may have heard of Kentucky, Auburn, Mississippi, Mississippi State, Missouri and Texas A&M.

What happened to Iowa, Illinois, Indiana and Purdue in the B1G?

Oh, and UCLA is a state school. The initials stand for University of California at Los Angeles.

You mention football... there are only 17 private schools that field an FBS team. 2 of those are independents.

Check the link in my signature for a few items related to that subject.

To make it easy for you, here are the 17:

ACC: Syracuse, BCU, Duke, Miami, Wake Forest
B1G: Northwestern
Big Math: Baylor, TCU
PAC: USC, Stanford
SEC: Vanderbilt
Independent: BYU, ND
C-USA: Rice, Tulane, Tulsa
NNBE: SMU

One thing I find interesting about the ACC is the lack of state schools.
correct me if I am wrong but...

Florida state unc, nc state, virginia, and Maryland are the only state schools of the ACC.
If Florida State was to leave the ACC would have no football powerhouse as a state school.

While it might not mean much when you compare it to other conferences its interesting especially from a football perspective.

Big 10 has Michigan, Michigan State, OSU, Penn State, Nebraska, Wisconsin, Minnesota,
Big 12 has Kansas, Kansas State, Okie, Okla State, Texas, Missouri, Iowa State, WVU.
SEC has Florida, Alabama, LSU, Georgia, Tenn, Arkansas, South Carolina,
Pac 12 has Utah, Utah State, California, Washington, Washington State, Arizona, Arizona State, Colorado leaving out USC, UCLA and Stanford some big names.

On a side note the big east will be pretty much stuck with Uconn.
I really wish to this day we had a chance to become a state school. Its never a minus being a state school.
Unless its Rutgers of course.

Never a minus being a state school? You must not have ever worked for one.

I really wish to this day we had a chance to become a state school.
I just do not understand this comment. Why would you want Syracuse University to be SUNY - Syracuse?

From a sports standpoint, that affiliation has really made the school in Buffalo a household name and all-around strong performer.

From a football standpoint, Syracuse is fortunate that New York set up the SUNY program with distributed campuses. Had NY followed the model of many other states (one main campus, several satellite campuses) there really would've been a "New York college team" to compete with.

Back to your public vs. private school comparisons within the conferences...
You do realize that all of the remaining and incoming football playing members, but one (SMU), of the NNBE will be public schools, right?

I just do not understand this comment. Why would you want Syracuse University to be SUNY - Syracuse?

Less student loans? (actually I was from out of state, so probably would not have mattered for me)

From a football standpoint, Syracuse is fortunate that New York set up the SUNY program with distributed campuses. Had NY followed the model of many other states (one main campus, several satellite campuses) there really would've been a "New York college team" to compete with.

Most of the midwest states and California are more similar to the NY model with a state university system. What has helped Syracuse is that NY lacks a flagship state university for people to rally behind.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
newmom4503

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom