ACC and Syracuse have been a good marriage | Syracusefan.com

ACC and Syracuse have been a good marriage

Orangeyes

R.I.P Dan
Long ago when the news first surfaced that Syracuse was considering a move to the Atlantic Coast Conference there was a lot of concern about how we would be treated. Many expressed the opinion that any one outside of the 'Tobacco Road Mafia' would be treated like second class citizens. Maryland was often cited as an example.

The first sign that things were not going to be slanted against us was the naming of CJ Fair as the preseason ACC Player of the Year. If things were indeed slanted to the TRM and their 'darling' Dukies then wouldn't they have chosen Jabari Parker?

Just the other day Syracuse lacrosse was shown the ultimate respect by being selected as preseason number one in the toughest conference in America. Sure no Orangeman was named to the first team but the respect was there for our program.

Yesterday five SU footballers were named to the All-ACC team after a 6-6 regular season and 4-4 conference record finishing third in it's division. Behind the scenes ACC officials worked to get the best possible bowl for us. They did just that, landing us in warm weather on ESPN against BIG opponent Minnesota in a pro stadium in Houston, Texas in a bowl that pays $1.7 million.

Our men's and women's basketball teams have started out great. Field Hockey was at the head of the class, track and field won the ACC championship. Coach Chris Fox was just named ACC coach of the year yesterday. The men's cross country team finished 10th in the nation, it's best finish ever and the women placed 22nd.

After a rough start women's volleyball finished strong to cement a 500 record winning six of their last nine matches.

Women's lacrosse will be as strong as usual. It wouldn't surprise me to see them installed as preseason favorites.

SU Soccer landed three players on the All-ACC team, had a 10-7-1 record but struggled in conference going 3-7-1. Women's soccer had a 7-11-1 record and was 3-9-1 in conference play. Both programs need to elevate their play if they want to compete in this tough conference.

Men's Rowing landed some top 10 finishes at the Princeton Chase in September and the women won two races at the Foot of the Charles in Boston.

Women's Ice Hockey doesn't exist in the ACC, our squad is currently 8-8-2. Tennis doesn't get underway until January 11. Softball will be on the road for five weeks stating in February, they should be very good and just might be at or near the top of the ACC.

Track & Field are just getting under way for both the men & women.

All in all these have been exciting times to be an Orange fan. Men's basketball is ranked #2 in the nation. The women are in the top 25.

The new indoor football practice facility is scheduled for construction.

The new ACC money has rescued Syracuse and our new conference has shown us a lot of respect.

On Friday a five star basketball player is going to announce his destination, most think the young man will be choosing Syracuse.

As far as our new conference goes, it will be playing for the national championship in football against SEC foe Auburn. Hopefully, Florida State wins, which will raise the profile of the whole conference and only help us in recruiting.

I think that the ACC is as proud of having Syracuse in it's family as Syracuse is proud of being a member of the ACC family.

It's all good!

Last edited:
Amen. But IMO the first sign of the excellent treatment we have received was the home basketball schedule...giving SU both Duke and UNC at home plus a home game in the B1G/ACC Challenge vs IU. That was a statement right there. The whole ACC experience has been great.

I honestly believe the ACC has done right by SU....no doubt about it.

Question: Does anyone think the "good feelings" may be due to how we were jobbed by the ACC during Conference Expansion 1.0? Maybe Duke/UNC at home was a "mea culpa" from the ACC to SU...

It is pretty obvious that the ACC wanted to solidify its fball (increasing the ridiculously high buy out when adding new teams and starting an ACC network for additional $$$$ and securing ND as an eventual member when they must join a conference) and stop the back word slide of its bball which of late has been held up by Duke and UNC plus a rotationally good 3rd school. In the end adding SU, Pitt, Lville and ND will be very good for both the ACC and these schools especially when ND becomes a full member in fball which may be sooner than some think with their lack of on field success, the increase of $$$er's from the ACC and a possible NC from FSU as well as them returning as a national power for the forseeable future.

I don't think the ACC is doing us any favors because its just the right thing to do...I think it's all about the money. We have a premiere BBall program and they want to showcase it.

I don't think the ACC is doing us any favors because its just the right thing to do...I think it's all about the money. We have a premiere BBall program and they want to showcase it.
Well put. And I'm fine with them doing that, if it means more games against Duke and UNC.

The ACC has treated us well.. so far.

I'm not sure who deserves the credit, but I'm amazed that we, as a relatively small university, have achieved as much as we have recently in so many different sports. Gross?

We've got a pretty darn good athletic department. I do wish they'd straighten out their crappy website though.

Last edited:
Nice post, OY, but the marriage is just starting. Marriages in general tend to start well. If they stay that way, then it's a bit more admirable. Hopefully this marriage doesnt produce kids like they used to show if 2 celebrities mated on Conan.

This should be pinned on the Boneyard so those douche bags can read.
Marsh, I'm shocked that you would suggest something so clearly antagonistic towards UCONN.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sturner5150

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom