ACC Backcourt Ranks | Syracusefan.com

ACC Backcourt Ranks

Consigliere

Co 2020 Cali Award Winner, Record Thru 5 Games
This post is not a refutation of the "Kadary should play more" posts. My opinion is he probably should take a few of Buddy's team leading 35.9 mpg, and maybe a couple more of Joe's 29.5. So let's not go there.

Rather, there have been numerous comments that have questioned our starting backcourt and whether or not our guards were an "ACC-level" starting backcourt. Take a look at the numbers. Joe and Buddy play the fourth most minutes on average of the 15 starting backcourts in the conference. ( I used ESPN.com for statistics and chose the top two guards who have appeared in most of their teams' games and play the most minutes.). The 65.4 minutes they average is about 3 minutes more than the league average of 62.

Looking at the two most relevant statistics for guards, points and assists and using Per 40 numbers to normalize based on playing time:

Syracuse has the sixth highest scoring backcourt in the league at 30.5. Notre Dame is fifth at 30.6. Syracuse is tenth in assists at 21.2.

Overall I'd place us roughly middle of the pack. Not All-ACC level, but certainly average to slightly above average, at least in the two key offensive categories.

1613153337418.png

Good breakdown.
When the starting guards play well we compete. The problem is one the ACC as a conference is down big time this season.
The conference has one team IMO that I expect to be in the sweet 16 in Virginia.
That helps a lot.

I don’t think Buddy and Joe are terrible players.
I just wish we didn’t have a lot of players out of position AND ask players to do more than they should out of need.

We are just stuck in the mud of mediocrity. I don’t see changing next year with the roster we have and only recruit we have coming in.

Good breakdown.
When the starting guards play well we compete. The problem is one the ACC as a conference is down big time this season.
The conference has one team IMO that I expect to be in the sweet 16 in Virginia.
That helps a lot.

I don’t think Buddy and Joe are terrible players.
I just wish we didn’t have a lot of players out of position AND ask players to do more than they should out of need.

We are just stuck in the mud of mediocrity. I don’t see changing next year with the roster we have and only recruit we have coming in.
I think the key is to bring in a serviceable true big to compete. With some combination of Quincy, Griff, Braswell, Newton and Marek returning and Bennie arriving I think we will be good at forward. I expect to see Kadary continue to improve and earn more and more minutes and if he develops a perimeter game the sky is the limit. If the roster is indeed stacked at forward, maybe the staff will invest some time working with Griff on front court zone rotations and to improve his handle. The 5, though, is the key. As optimistic as I usually am I fear Sidibe has played his last meaningful minutes. Anselem is intriguing from an athleticism perspective, but no evidence that he can be the answer. Need a big, ACC ready center likely from the portal.

Center, Center, Center.

I don’t even click on any recruiting threads unless it’s a Center because that is the only position that matters right now. Until we get one who can play all game, nothing else matters.

This post is not a refutation of the "Kadary should play more" posts. My opinion is he probably should take a few of Buddy's team leading 35.9 mpg, and maybe a couple more of Joe's 29.5. So let's not go there.

Rather, there have been numerous comments that have questioned our starting backcourt and whether or not our guards were an "ACC-level" starting backcourt. Take a look at the numbers. Joe and Buddy play the fourth most minutes on average of the 15 starting backcourts in the conference. ( I used ESPN.com for statistics and chose the top two guards who have appeared in most of their teams' games and play the most minutes.). The 65.4 minutes they average is about 3 minutes more than the league average of 62.

Looking at the two most relevant statistics for guards, points and assists and using Per 40 numbers to normalize based on playing time:

Syracuse has the sixth highest scoring backcourt in the league at 30.5. Notre Dame is fifth at 30.6. Syracuse is tenth in assists at 21.2.

Overall I'd place us roughly middle of the pack. Not All-ACC level, but certainly average to slightly above average, at least in the two key offensive categories.

View attachment 196374
I would guess our starting backcourt might rank towards the bottom of offensive efficiency.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom