ACC-Big 10 Challenge 2013 | Syracusefan.com

ACC-Big 10 Challenge 2013

Ragman2000

Pee-Trough Advocate
Yeah yeah, looking ahead just a bit.

Next year, who would your desired opponent in the ACC-Big 10 challenge be? I would sacrifice my left testicle (who needs it) for a road game at Indiana, given I'm 5 minutes from Assembly Hall.

I say we'll get paired up with either IU or Michigan State.

Thoughts?

Probably get Nebraska or some damn team. We'll be fourth in line at best, UNC, Duke, then NC State will get the top three matchups. I'll guess we get Wisconsin. Would of course prefer Indiana.

Probably get Nebraska or some damn team. We'll be fourth in line at best, UNC, Duke, then NC State will get the top three matchups. I'll guess we get Wisconsin. Would of course prefer Indiana.

Tend to agree. We aren't getting any of the gravy match-ups our first year out. While I'd like to see Ohio State, Indiana or Michigan State, I realistically see Illinois, Minnesota or Wisconsin as well.

Wow, it really will be a whole new world for us won't it. At first it will seem strange to see these new teams but after all of the carnage of the big east I welcome it.

A couple points.
  1. I wouldn't worry about being 4th in line. Certainly, the BE has done us NO favors in recent years with regard to scheduling. I'm used to it at this point.
  2. I would think, if we were even asked if we had a preference, that Michigan St would not be on the list, given that we have played them so recently.
  3. Agreed, I would love Indiana. Ohio State would be good too. Wisconsin? Meh.

(Note: the assumption used in this post was incorrect. See subsequent posts for the correct information. In short: Syracuse should be part of the Challenge when they join the ACC.)

We'll have to see if the ACC even sends the newcomers.

I believe that the intent is to send the previous year's 12 highest finishing teams (based on ACC standings) to the Challenge. Perhaps there'll be an exception for the 3 new comers as they enter the league such that an NCAA (or even NIT) invitation for the previous year would leapfrog any ACC teams that did not participate in those tournaments.

We'll have to see if the ACC even sends the newcomers.

I believe that the intent is to send the previous year's 12 highest finishing teams (based on ACC standings) to the Challenge. Perhaps there'll be an exception for the 3 new comers as they enter the league such that an NCAA (or even NIT) invitation for the previous year would leapfrog any ACC teams that did not participate in those tournaments.
Incorrect, at the ACC AD meetings in August they ratified a proposal to send the 12 top RPI teams each year and Andy Katz reported the ACC expects Pitt and Syracuse to compete in the ACC-B1G challenge next year. I believe we will probably draw Michigan or Wisconsin not the cream of the crop but good secondary opponents.

Michigan at the Dome.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

Incorrect, at the ACC AD meetings in August they ratified a proposal to send the 12 top RPI teams each year
You're right... I went from memory (which clearly failed me in this instance) and just verified that the RPI will be used.

Yep ... I think ACC lost last year ... They'll want the best teams they
got representing.

Are the matchups automatic and assigned by RPI or standing? Or do the teams suss them out somehow?

ACC=Big 10 does the best job of matching talent evenly. But they also try somewhat to avoid repeat matchups.

Right now, the only team we won't play, imo, would be Minnesota, who's also in Maui.

Preference would be at Indiana or OSU.

I would have thought we'd play Kentucky at least once in the BE-SEC Challenge. Instead we play Florida multiple times and then get kicked in the nuts by playing at Arkansas this year.

No OSU/Michigan State/Wisconsin, please. We just got through a dull stretch of whipping Florida in far too many consecutive seasons, I don't want to see repeats in another conference.

Indiana would be my top choice. Purdue would be cool. Illinois, Minnesota, both good. Iowa stinks, but Iowa City is a fun town and Carver-Hawkeye is a good place to see a game.

Penn State/Nebraska, no thanks.

I would have thought we'd play Kentucky at least once in the BE-SEC Challenge. Instead we play Florida multiple times and then get kicked in the nuts by playing at Arkansas this year.

The two leagues did a lousy job getting that challenge started. Wasted too many years with limited participation and neutral sites. They finally got it underway last year, but UK and SU both got home games, assuring that we'd both get road games in 2012 and not face one another.