ACC Bowls | Syracusefan.com

ACC Bowls

HRE Otto IV

All American
Since records do not matter this year it will be interesting to see who gets left out. The ACC could have 12 Bowl games this year. So who doesn't get in? SU will be one. Duke most likely gets left out. While FSU deserves to be left out will they be?

Since records do not matter this year it will be interesting to see who gets left out. The ACC could have 12 Bowl games this year. So who doesn't get in? SU will be one. Duke most likely gets left out. While FSU deserves to be left out will they be?
We know the Holiday Bowl and Fenway Bowl have already been canceled. It is being increasingly apparent that no crowds or greatly reduced crowds will be allowed. My understanding is that most of the bowls struggle to turn a profit and are staged mostly to boost tourism dollars during relatively slack periods.

A lot of people aren’t going to fly and a lot of people won’t even be willing to drive long distances to go to bowl games. I don’t see how a normal bowl season is going to work financially.

I expect a lot more bowls to announce they are sitting this year out. Kind of surprised we haven’t seen a lot of announcements yet. The Holiday and Fenway bowls were canceled in October.

If these bowls are going to be played, I think ESPN is going to have to step up with more television money. But the ratings for games on TV are awful and ESPN Is not exactly flush with cash (they just had another major layoff).

What am I missing here?

We know the Holiday Bowl and Fenway Bowl have already been canceled. It is being increasingly apparent that no crowds or greatly reduced crowds will be allowed. My understanding is that most of the bowls struggle to turn a profit and are staged mostly to boost tourism dollars during relatively slack periods.

A lot of people aren’t going to fly and a lot of people won’t even be willing to drive long distances to go to bowl games. I don’t see how a normal bowl season is going to work financially.

I expect a lot more bowls to announce they are sitting this year out. Kind of surprised we haven’t seen a lot of announcements yet. The Holiday and Fenway bowls were canceled in October.

If these bowls are going to be played, I think ESPN is going to have to step up with more television money. But the ratings for games on TV are awful and ESPN Is not exactly flush with cash (they just had another major layoff).

What am I missing here?

Didn't realize that Bowls were already canceled. Given the way the season keeps getting pushed deeper and deeper into December, I wonder if more will be forced to cancel.

I’m curious if the G5 groups like the Fun Belt and MAC can afford to go bowling

I’m curious if the G5 groups like the Fun Belt and MAC can afford to go bowling
These schools can barely afford road games of any kind. Plus they have no staffs. My son interned all last year at a MAC Athletic Department up until April. His real employment offer for this year 20/21 was withdrawn and many of the people responsible for hiring the support staff are still layed off themselves at many schools. Schools are getting by leaning more heavily on student interns than ever before. So I doubt many of them are even looking to go bowling. Survival of the Athletic Department as a whole is more important at this point. Plus they can't really sell tickets to the bowl games so that whole model collapses outside the CFP and maybe NY games. I'm surprised most of them have not been cancelled already.

These schools can barely afford road games of any kind. Plus they have no staffs. My son interned all last year at a MAC Athletic Department up until April. His real employment offer for this year 20/21 was withdrawn and many of the people responsible for hiring the support staff are still layed off themselves at many schools. Schools are getting by leaning more heavily on student interns than ever before. So I doubt many of them are even looking to go bowling. Survival of the Athletic Department as a whole is more important at this point. Plus they can't really sell tickets to the bowl games so that whole model collapses outside the CFP and maybe NY games. I'm surprised most of them have not been cancelled already.

Yeah, I don't get it. None of it works out. Schools that are financial strapped are going to pay the travel? Bowls with no fans aren't getting the ticket sales and tourism $. There are no activities that the team will be doing all week.

I bet they just bubble up the playoffs and call it a day.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom