acc money as it relates to facilities | Syracusefan.com

acc money as it relates to facilities

Millhouse

Living Legend
here are my assumptions because i'm no insider

1.Marrone wants more money for facilities
2.The ACC means SU gets a lot more money.
3.Gross is the one who actually asks for the money.
4.Gross loves spending other peoples money on sports no one cares about but himself
5.The BOT trusts the dapper drunken sailor less than as far as they could throw him.

This sounds like some boring managerial accounting mess to me, just like back in the Jake Buzz days. Back then, the school (not the athletic department) snagged all the concession revenue as if they were the ones that actually earned it

Who does the school think actually earned the spot in the ACC? Whatever percentage they assign to the football team, multiply that by the increase in revenue from that ACC spot, and the AD should be free to spend that on the football program

I suspect that the football program gets way less credit from the SU bigwigs for the school's inclusion in the big east (EDIT ACK ACC NOT BIG EAST ACK). I suspect they credit the basketball program first and then credit themselves (connective corridor!)

If they don't trust Gross, then sh!tcan him and get someone in here to spend that money. But Gross spending too much on women's quidditch doesn't mean that Marrone is wrong about football spending

If they're not going to spend ACC money on facilities, what are they going to spend it on?

I don't doubt that other colleges build facilities with donor money.

What do those schools do with the ACC TV money?

We have to do something with that money. If we don't do something with it now, we're just going to do it after another awful rebuild.

I can't believe that we're acting like we have no money to spend on football. Who cares where the money comes from. We have a big donor named ESPN.

We have to do something with that money. If we don't do something with it now, we're just going to do it after another awful rebuild.

I can't believe that we're acting like we have no money to spend on football. Who cares where the money comes from. We have a big donor named ESPN.

Well, I think it's obvious that whatever these ACC teams are spending that money on, it isn't practice facilities. But they are spending it. I'm sure SU will find things to spend that money on as well. If anything, I would think it's from that pool of money that salary increases to keep coaches will likely come.

Cheers,
Neil

That's right - folks just need to think of ESPN as a bigtime donor who comes through with an Annual Donation north of $15M. Done.

I've mentioned this before. If they're going to insist on ignoring the tens of millions of green bills that happen to come from a tv station instead of a donor, I'd like to see SU do a kickstarter campaign. Make it easy for people to donate to something specific and tangible. Something low risk where you'll get your money back if it doesn't happen. I am very wary of donating into black holes

this reminds me of Izzo at mich state few yrs ago flirting with the Cavs-- hope it turns out the same

florida state construction costs are estimated at 12.7 million? wow. how are they managing that?

then I read in the next article that UVA's projected costs are 14.5 million.

doesn't seem like much for a facility. but our target is 25 mil?

No unions in Fl?

sorry I just put an edit in and added UVA costs. My first thought was paying guys minimum wage in florida verus $30 an hour in NY but UVA's cost seems pretty cheap to.

This is oversimplistic and in no way will actually happen, but if it really is true that revenues from the athletic department used to go into the University's general fund, the Athletic Department should absolutely be able to pull from the University's general fund kitty now.

This is oversimplistic and in no way will actually happen, but if it really is true that revenues from the athletic department used to go into the University's general fund, the Athletic Department should absolutely be able to pull from the University's general fund kitty now.
That tidbit was buried in a Jake's Take (not the respected esteemed Jake from the board, the other one) on the SU site about 10 years ago. They rolled in the dome related revenue (concessions) into the bucket containing parking lots and parking garages.

If the schools Policy is to get a certain X% of a capital project through private donors before floating the rest of the financing, I am really not seeing why they couldnt take a one time charge to the books and use the first years new ACC TV money as a source of that donation. As has mentioned earlier, pretend ESPN is the donor.

I really fail to see how this could be a problem, provided A) the money has not been accounted for another use, or B) we were running the AD in the red, and need the ACC money to simply get back to black (see Rutgers AD). If we are neither, then run this/next years budget forecasting BE TV money while taking a portion of year 1's ACC surplus and applying it to LONG OVERDUE facilities upgrades.

Our facilities are a joke compared to our peers. Even with the latest upgrades.

Well, I think it's obvious that whatever these ACC teams are spending that money on, it isn't practice facilities. But they are spending it. I'm sure SU will find things to spend that money on as well. If anything, I would think it's from that pool of money that salary increases to keep coaches will likely come.

Cheers,
Neil

Lowering tuition of course! :bang:

I was having these same thoughts about the ACC $ yesterday. I mean, if you generally do the same thing, and someone gives you $20M per year to do it, instead of $5M, that has to be good right?

Then I was trying to think of some of the football factories and wondering where does all their money go? Understanding that costs increase for, say a 100k capacity stadium vs a 50k capacity stadium. These schools are filling all 100k of those seats, at least 7 times per year (some 8 times), and at much higher pricing than SU. Then you figure all the insanely rich die hards who would rather give $1M to the football program than any other charity (including their own bank account), and I just don't know where it all goes? You pay Saban what, $7M per year? His staff is paid well, not nearly as well as him. AD has a nice salary I'm sure, and a happy staff.

But seriously, it's not like any of the football factories are building state of the art modern stadiums. They all play in old stadiums that are supposed to be the big part of their charm. The indoor facilities that some have are obviously nice, but at what cost, maybe $25M? Seems like that kind of money could be made over the weekend.

I was having these same thoughts about the ACC $ yesterday. I mean, if you generally do the same thing, and someone gives you $20M per year to do it, instead of $5M, that has to be good right?

Then I was trying to think of some of the football factories and wondering where does all their money go? Understanding that costs increase for, say a 100k capacity stadium vs a 50k capacity stadium. These schools are filling all 100k of those seats, at least 7 times per year (some 8 times), and at much higher pricing than SU. Then you figure all the insanely rich die hards who would rather give $1M to the football program than any other charity (including their own bank account), and I just don't know where it all goes? You pay Saban what, $7M per year? His staff is paid well, not nearly as well as him. AD has a nice salary I'm sure, and a happy staff.

But seriously, it's not like any of the football factories are building state of the art modern stadiums. They all play in old stadiums that are supposed to be the big part of their charm. The indoor facilities that some have are obviously nice, but at what cost, maybe $25M? Seems like that kind of money could be made over the weekend.

they claim to break even every year and now they have a windfall but we can't spend that windfall? we'll never get the real financial picture.

they claim to break even every year and now they have a windfall but we can't spend that windfall? we'll never get the real financial picture.

So that's the real question. If we see facility improvements and happier coaches, then we don't need to see the details. But if we're being handed $15M per year and private donations continue to be listed as the problem, then yeah, you really have to wonder what the f is going on.

Maybe the smoke and mirrors will have been the reports that we were in the black in the first place.

So that's the real question. If we see facility improvements and happier coaches, then we don't need to see the details. But if we're being handed $15M per year and private donations continue to be listed as the problem, then yeah, you really have to wonder what the f is going on.

Maybe the smoke and mirrors will have been the reports that we were in the black in the first place.
that's my fear - that acc money is already set aside to pay for all of gross's stupid adventures (adventures that the BOT permitted)