ACC Network Promo Video Complaint | Syracusefan.com

ACC Network Promo Video Complaint

OrangePA

Living Legend
I have seen it a million times it seems.

I like most of it, but I have a real problem with the limited reference to Syracuse University.

All that is shown - for a millisecond - is a large "S" flag - that's it.

While watching the game last night I wondered how the producers of that video could ignore the majesty of 35,000 fans in the Carrier Dome watching an ACC basketball game.

Hey, I lilke the Ga Tech rambling wreck auto - it's great. But if you're going to promote the ACC, you need to include a shot of the Dome - the ultimate college basketball venue and one of the great college football venues.

Does the launch of ACC Network mean SU will have even fewer games on ESPN/ESPN2 in the future? We have so many games on Raycom now (small regional viewing area) that it seems we get less national exposure than a lot of non P5 teams (like Big East teams).

Syracuse is the gold standard for the acc network. We are way ahead of the pack, and other schools are scrambling. We are the only school who has students doing pregame and halftime analysis BECAUSE we have Newhouse. Quite an impressive operation.

Does the launch of ACC Network mean SU will have even fewer games on ESPN/ESPN2 in the future? We have so many games on Raycom now (small regional viewing area) that it seems we get less national exposure than a lot of non P5 teams (like Big East teams).
No.
ESPN/ESPN2 will want good games.
The ACCN will get all the Raycom games.
This deal is good for Syracuse as the ACCN will be national and Raycom is regional.
All games will be on National TV now.

I believe that's the Dome they show at the end of the promo but it's masked in faded blue.

Syracuse is the gold standard for the acc network. We are way ahead of the pack, and other schools are scrambling. We are the only school who has students doing pregame and halftime analysis BECAUSE we have Newhouse. Quite an impressive operation.
Actually, VT, Duke, and Louisville have studios that will be used for the ACC Network also, in addition to SU.

There may be others, and the end goal may be for each school to have one.
1551031201880.gif

Actually, VT, Duke, and Louisville have studios that will be used for the ACC Network also, in addition to SU.

There may be others, and the end goal may be for each school to have one. View attachment 154650
You are correct, and some hugely popular acc schools are way behind in regards to this.

No.
This deal is good for Syracuse as the ACCN will be national and Raycom is regional.
I believe Raycom will be out of our lives at that point.

You are correct, and some hugely popular acc schools are way behind in regards to this.

So there will be no studio show for these games? Or will each school be producing the studio show for halftime?

So there will be no studio show for these games? Or will each school be producing the studio show for halftime?
The ACCN is the same thing as the SECN and BTN.
The network is going to have a studio halftime for live programming for football and basketball.
The on campus production is for the non-revenue sports like soccer, baseball, lacrosse so each school has a Skeleton crew of student employees who can produce these games on campus and keep costs down.
These studios are mainly to keep costs down on ESPN and having union employees if you want the truth.

I'm praying this will the case, but many questions remain. What will Raycom's future with the conference (and ESPN) look like? You seem to be predicting that it will not survive the ACCN as a broker of regional games - and I hope that is the case even if student-produced coverage will take some getting used to.
sutomcat may have additional information as he has been following this issue.
From the last ACC-ESPN TV deal it included Raycom leasing games from ESPN that the network didn’t want.
To start the ACCN the ACC had to buy back these games from Raycom.
I am sure during negotiations the people at the top of Raycom were given new jobs at the ACCN or other stuff from the ACC to get these rights back for ESPN.
ESPN told the ACC it wouldn’t do anything to get those rights back from Raycom but if they did (and the ACC did) it would use its muscle to get the network as good a disruption it could and ESPN has done a good job with disruption.
Raycom is done as an ACC broadcaster now.
These student production events are for non revenue sports like volleyball, soccer, lacrosse, baseball.
The students will likely be working as the grunt production and will be cheap to pay.
ESPN doesn’t want to pay professionals to work camera/boombox/lighting for a men’s soccer game that will be on the ACCN.

From the last ACC-ESPN TV deal it included Raycom leasing games from ESPN that the network didn’t want.
To start the ACCN the ACC had to buy back these games from Raycom.
I am sure during negotiations the people at the top of Raycom were given new jobs at the ACCN or other stuff from the ACC to get these rights back for ESPN.
ESPN told the ACC it wouldn’t do anything to get those rights back from Raycom but if they did (and the ACC did) it would use its muscle to get the network as good a disruption it could and ESPN has done a good job with disruption.
Raycom is done as an ACC broadcaster now.
These student production events are for non revenue sports like volleyball, soccer, lacrosse, baseball.
The students will likely be working as the grunt production and will be cheap to pay.
ESPN doesn’t want to pay professionals to work camera/boombox/lighting for a men’s soccer game that will be on the ACCN.
I'm happily surprised. I didn't expect this because Raycom was just sold to Gray Media for over $3B (so I figured it had a secure place in the ACC). At any rate, following your post, I'm wondering - if students are involved only for NRS's and Raycom's done - what entity will take its place in the middle - producing SU BB and FB games that ESPN doesn't want? Who will provide the cameras, announcers, NW feeds, etc., the ACC schools?

Last edited:
I have seen it a million times it seems.

I like most of it, but I have a real problem with the limited reference to Syracuse University.

All that is shown - for a millisecond - is a large "S" flag - that's it.

While watching the game last night I wondered how the producers of that video could ignore the majesty of 35,000 fans in the Carrier Dome watching an ACC basketball game.

Hey, I lilke the Ga Tech rambling wreck auto - it's great. But if you're going to promote the ACC, you need to include a shot of the Dome - the ultimate college basketball venue and one of the great college football venues.

Bothers me too

No.

“National” to the extent the ACC network is picked up by your cable/satellite provider and put in a base tier and not a premium sports package.

I am behind on where that stands.

I'm happily surprised. And I didn't expect this .. since Raycom was just sold to Gray Media for over $3B. At any rate, following your post, I'm wondering - if students are involved only for NRS's and Raycom's done - what entity will take its place in the middle - producing SU BB and FB games that ESPN doesn't want? Who will provide the cameras, announcers, NW feeds, etc., the ACC schools?
I am sure the ACCN for BB and FB games will have some professionals especially for their high profile game each for football but they will rely on these students which campus will have in their studio on campus for cheap labor.
I have a colleague whose son works as a student for SECN at South Carolina.
He basically gets paid 100 bucks a game to help the SECN camera guy with his wires and it’s cheap labor for SECN.
The ACCN will likely do this as well.

“National” to the extent the ACC network is picked up by your cable/satellite provider and put in a base tier and not a premium sports package.

I am behind on where that stands.
It’s going to be on DirecTV and will have good disruption thanks to ESPN leveraging it with the Disney channel and other channels in the Disney portfolio.

ACCN has a deal with Verizon, Altice, Comcast, DirecTv to put the network on the same tier as the SECN and BTN.

I believe that's the Dome they show at the end of the promo but it's masked in faded blue.
I think it’s the Smith Center. They have a cool app that syncs their warmup music with cell phone flashlights. I have it on my phone, ready for Tuesday night.

It’s going to be on DirecTV and will have good disruption thanks to ESPN leveraging it with the Disney channel and other channels in the Disney portfolio.

ACCN has a deal with Verizon, Altice, Comcast, DirecTv to put the network on the same tier as the SECN and BTN.

Hopefully hear something with Charter-Spectrum soon. I already pay for an additional sports tier so I should be good. Even if I wasn't paying for an additional sports tier already, I sure as heck would for Syracuse games. Would seem crazy to me if I spent hours on this board chatting and then not pony up a little extra to actually watch the games.

What about Cox Communications? I have Verizon now, but will be moving to a Cox area next year.

What about Cox Communications? I have Verizon now, but will be moving to a Cox area next year.
Depends on when Cox-Disney channels deal is up. I wouldn’t be shocked if Cox is one of the next we hear from.

So, you’re asking about Cox?
Chip & Millhouse would be happy to fill you in.
;)

Have you seen an announcement where the ACC Network Linear Channel will be on Comcast Xfinity? I saw where they announced the ACC Network Extra. Comcast and ESPN Launch ESPN3, ACC Network Extra and SEC Network + on Xfinity X1 - ESPN MediaZone U.S.

But the Disney agreement with Comcast goes to the end of 2021. Comcast's 10-Year Deal With Disney Includes Out-of-Home Viewing
I haven't any doubt that Disney will get the ACC Network on Comcast, but I was thinking we may have to wait
until Disney can renew this agreement at end of 2021.

Now Disney and ATT are negotiating the renewal of their agreement, which I think will include DirectTV and ATT U-verse this June, 2019. And Disney and Charter Spectrum have their agreement renegotiation to do by December, 2019.

Part of why we had to wait until 2019 was so Disney could use its muscle to get the network distributed by these providers.