ACC Stat Leaders | Syracusefan.com

ACC Stat Leaders

pfister1

2023-24 Iggy Winner ACC & OOC Record
I was looking at the ACC statistical leaders today and saw some interesting things.

1. Rebounding.

Despite popular belief that our bigs can't or don't rebound Marek and Bourama are currently tied with Jordan Nwora as the 11th best statistical rebounder in the ACC at 7.4 rpg. Maybe our biggest problem is that nobody else is rebounding?

Bourama's getting 7.4 rpg despite playing limited minutes because of his consistent foul trouble and/or being chained to the dog house.

2. Minutes Per Game.

In some ways this wasn't surprising, other than our top 2 are playing less minutes per game than I would have guessed and I guess that Girard is under 31.4 mpg and doesn't make the top 25 in the conference, which I guess is only mildly surprising.

1. Elijah 37.8 mpg
4. Buddy 35.4 mpg
7. Marek 34.1 mpg.

3. 3 Pt. Shooting.

Here the interesting stats were mostly good.

Buddy (.409) and Elijah (.390) are the second and third leading three point field goal shooters by percentage. Buddy (3.7) is first and Eli (2.9) is second by number made per game.

Buddy is one of only two players in the ACC shooting the 3 at a percentage higher than 40%.

I think Buddy is also out in front by a pretty wide margin in terms of total number of 3 pointers made at 67.

4. FG Shooting.

Eli (.437) and Buddy (.411) rank 12th and 14th respectively in the conference in field goal percentage. Surprised me that our outside shooting guys rank this highly. I think of them as volume shooters that aren't shooting a particularly great percentage...I guess that is not an accurate perception.

5. FT Shooting.

We all know that JGIII (.958) not only leads the ACC, but also the country. In addition to him, Eli comes in 9th at (.783) and Dolejaz is 22nd at (.674). Buddy (.773) doesn't appear on the leaderboard, presumably not enough attempts - only 22 on the season according to the SUAD website?

What is surprising to me here, is that as mediocre a free throw shooter as I feel like Marek is; even at 67% he ranks among the conference leaders...and yes I realize that his free throw percentage has been on the rise based on recent games.

Last edited:
Don't forget, Hughes is also 2nd in the ACC in PPG. Hughes is also 8th in APG and is the only non-guard in the top 15. And last I looked, Sidibe was something like 5th in rebs per 40.

With Buddy's amazing stroke, you'd think that his FT would be upper 80's to near 90% or in the same ballpark as Joe's. His misses I believe are typically long/back iron, so it doesn't appear that being tired/legs, is the issue as I think I read here somewhere? So, I wonder what the deal is? I don't think it's his nerves, but perhaps it may be and thinking too much when at the line vs. just letting it fly when he's shooting.

Now, with Hughes, one could argue that his 70's FT percentage vs. higher is related somewhat to fatigue due to all the minutes logged as I believe most of his misses typically seem to be of the front end type.

With Buddy's amazing stroke, you'd think that his FT would be upper 80's to near 90% or in the same ballpark as Joe's. His misses I believe are typically long/back iron, so it doesn't appear that being tired/legs, is the issue as I think I read here somewhere? So, I wonder what the deal is? I don't think it's his nerves, but perhaps it may be and thinking too much when at the line vs. just letting it fly when he's shooting.

Now, with Hughes, one could argue that his 70's FT percentage vs. higher is related somewhat to fatigue due to all the minutes logged as I believe most of his misses typically seem to be of the front end type.
Buddy has only attempted 22 free throws in 18 games, missing five times. That's too small a sample from which to draw any conclusions about anything.

Agree with br801 that with only 22 attempts, its hard to say much definitively about his percentage other than while it isn't perfect and isn't as high as JGIII, 77% is nothing to complain about in today's game.

I'd say the same for Eli. 78% isn't perfect, but its pretty darn good.

Short of perfect, what should we be satisfied with? Obviously 95% is spectacular, what warrants good enough?

Eli ranks 195th in all of Division I at .783. I think that's probably pretty good. I think there are something on order of 4,500 Division I players.

A 2009 NY Times Article said that between 1960 and 2009 the NCAA average free throw percentage has been as low as 67.1, but had never topped 70. In the NBA the average had been roughly 75% for over 50 years.

By the way, we are currently shooting 71.9% as a team.

Per OP Hughes is a top 10 free thrower in the conference and Buddy is not far behind. So there's no deal.

Everytime Buddy Miss's a FT I want to kick him in the patoot..

4. FG Shooting.

Eli (.437) and Buddy (.411) rank 12th and 14th respectively in the conference in field goal percentage. Surprised me that our outside shooting guys rank this highly. I think of them as volume shooters that aren't shooting a particularly great percentage...I guess that is not an accurate perception.

I think that is an accurate perception. Fortunately, all but 11 of their peers are so bad that those numbers look OK.

If there's ever a stat that suggests the league isn't so strong, this is the one. Wonder how that stacks up historically. I would think that .437 would be outside the top 20 a lot of years.

Don't forget, Hughes is also 2nd in the ACC in PPG. Hughes is also 8th in APG and is the only non-guard in the top 15. And last I looked, Sidibe was something like 5th in rebs per 40.

I'm not a huge fan of per 40 stats because if you can't stay on the floor that long and you're a big, it's most likely foul trouble that holds you back. He is averaging 3.8 Fouls per game and only playing 23 minutes. His Per40 stats are irrelevant IMO.

I'm not a huge fan of per 40 stats because if you can't stay on the floor that long and you're a big, it's most likely foul trouble that holds you back. He is averaging 3.8 Fouls per game and only playing 23 minutes. His Per40 stats are irrelevant IMO.

shows what he's capable of.

Agree with br801 that with only 22 attempts, its hard to say much definitively about his percentage other than while it isn't perfect and isn't as high as JGIII, 77% is nothing to complain about in today's game.

I'd say the same for Eli. 78% isn't perfect, but its pretty darn good.

Short of perfect, what should we be satisfied with? Obviously 95% is spectacular, what warrants good enough?

Eli ranks 195th in all of Division I at .783. I think that's probably pretty good. I think there are something on order of 4,500 Division I players.

A 2009 NY Times Article said that between 1960 and 2009 the NCAA average free throw percentage has been as low as 67.1, but had never topped 70. In the NBA the average had been roughly 75% for over 50 years.

By the way, we are currently shooting 71.9% as a team.

Interpretation can be, let's just say, interesting here at times. Did I imply perfection was the expectation? I didn't say 100%, I said upper 80's to near 90% with Buddy, and perhaps similar for Hughes due to their excellent shooting strokes. I didn't say it wasn't good enough, or along those lines/complaining, etc, but that in my opinion, especially with their strokes, it would be higher. When I was younger, shooting in the 70's% range was decent/slightly better than average, but not considered very good or excellent, that would be more in the 80's or 90's.

I wonder what Joe's FT's were for his first 22 attempts? I wasn't drawing any definitive conclusion, only that in those 22 attempts, I would think Buddy would've made say 20 of those, again, based upon his stellar shooting technique and stroke. We'll see how the season plays out and where he ends up at season's end. It's very likely he'll be in the mid 80's range or higher, which I bet if you were to ask him, he'd likely say was his minimal expectation. FWIW, I pulled his stats from last season and his FT percentage was .788. The chart I saw didn't have number of attempts. Interestingly, after 22 attempts to date this year, he's pretty much right at where he was percentage wise last season.

Last edited:
Interpretation can be, let's just say, interesting here at times. Did I imply perfection was the expectation? I didn't say 100%, I said upper 80's to near 90% with Buddy, and perhaps similar for Hughes due to their excellent shooting strokes. I didn't say it wasn't good enough, or along those lines/complaining, etc, but that in my opinion, especially with their strokes, it would be higher. When I was younger, shooting in the 70's% range was decent/slightly better than average, but not considered very good or excellent, that would be more in the 80's or 90's. Maybe it's different nowadays.

I wonder what Joe's FT's were for his first 22 attempts? I wasn't drawing any definitive conclusion, only that in those 22 attempts, I would think Buddy would've made say 20 of those, again, based upon his stellar shooting technique and stroke. We'll see how the season plays out and where he ends up at season's end. It's very likely he'll be in the mid 80's range or higher, which I bet if you were to ask him, he'd likely say was his minimal expectation. FWIW, I pulled his stats from last season and his FT percentage was .788. The chart I saw didn't have number of attempts. Interestingly, after 22 attempts to date this year, he's pretty much right at where he was percentage wise last season.
For his career (50 games), he's averaging about one free throw attempt per game (43 for 55, .782). I'll posit that he would be over 80% if he got to the line more frequently, but for someone who misses one free throw every four games, this all seems like much ado about nothing.

You should see Jesse Edwards's per 40 numbers.
Exactly. He's second on the team in PER, right behind Hughes. Braswell led the team last season by a wide margin.

I'm still going to argue that not allowing people that shoot 5-6+ three pointers A GAME onto the ACC leaderboard for 3PT%......is STUPID.

I mean, Joe Girard doesn't qualify......think about that.

You should see Jesse Edwards's per 40 numbers.

Never include stats anyone that rarely plays. But Edwards per 40 rebs numbers still isn’t close to Sid.

Never include stats anyone that rarely plays. But Edwards per 40 rebs numbers still isn’t close to Sid.
Well, hopefully the committee takes Sidibe’s rebounds per 40 into consideration on selection Sunday since it’s a such an important statistic.

Well, hopefully the committee takes Sidibe’s rebounds per 40 into consideration on selection Sunday since it’s a such an important statistic.

No it’s not. And that wasn’t the point.

There’s no way the 14th highest fg% in the conference is 0.411

Does seem hard to believe.

It wasn't so long ago that everyone in SU's starting lineup averaged much better than that.

There’s no way the 14th highest fg% in the conference is 0.411
It's not ... those basketball reference leader boards aren't accurate (e.g., Joe Girard not on the 3% leaders despite having the 5th most 3FGA in the ACC).

Using a minimum of 75 FGA, or 4 FGA per game, a 41.1% FG% is 58th. Increase it to 125 FGA, and a 41.1% FG% is 31st.

It's not ... those basketball reference leader boards aren't accurate (e.g., Joe Girard not on the 3% leaders despite having the 5th most 3FGA in the ACC).

Using a minimum of 75 FGA, or 4 FGA per game, a 41.1% FG% is 58th. Increase it to 125 FGA, and a 41.1% FG% is 31st.

ACC leaderboards are not the place to go for the leaderboards. :) It's pretty much a list of how the highest of the high volume shooters in each category are doing against each other!

Buddy has only attempted 22 free throws in 18 games, missing five times. That's too small a sample from which to draw any conclusions about anything.
The only conclusion is that Buddy needs to continue working on his driving game so that he can get fouled more often. I think.

Or take slower shots to allow the defenders time to hit him. That will increase his foul shooting opportunities.