ACC title game on ESPN got a higher rating than B1G title game on CBS | Syracusefan.com

ACC title game on ESPN got a higher rating than B1G title game on CBS

Alsacs

Living Legend
SKEDBALL: Weekend Sports TV Ratings 3.11-12.2017 | Showbuzz Daily

Weekend-Sports-Sat-Sun-2017-03-11.png

This is telling. The ACC also had the Raycom network broadcasting the game which took ratings from ESPN.

Isn't the B1G's 2.29 > the ACC's 2.03.
I am confused (happens a lot) by the listing. Why is the ACC listed atop?

Isn't the B1G's 2.29 > the ACC's 2.03.
I am confused (happens a lot) by the listing. Why is the ACC listed atop?
TV rating is the percentage of TVs watching.
Viewers is the amount of people watching.

Rating means more TVs were watching but multiple people can watch on 1 TV.

More people watched ESPN ACC than CBS B1G. Higher percentage of TVs on at the time were on CBS.

How about the fact that more people watched the AAC final on ESPN than the Big East final on Fox.

How about the fact that more people watched the AAC final on ESPN than the Big East final on Fox.

the AAC final had a lot less competition, at least college basketball wise. That had to help

The rating is higher for the B1G, the total number of viewers is slightly higher for the ACC.

I'm 99% sure this is how it works, been a couple years since I read about the methods...

The Household rating is based on TV households, not the number of viewers. So two people in one house count only once. The 2+ is total viewers that are 2 or older, and the Adults 18-49 is total viewers in that range. I'm pretty sure the real comparison that the conferences would care about would be men 18-34 and men 18-54 - the demographics your advertisers are trying to reach.

I'm not sure how they estimate/calculate the number of people per TV.

It's also interesting to compare to last year...

ACC: goes from 1,226 18-49 and a 1.66 (UVA vs UNC) to 1,400 and a 2.03 (Duke vs. ND)
B1G: 1,096 and a 2.18 (Mich St. vs Purdue) to 1,268 and a 2.29 (Michigan vs. Wisconsin)
SEC: goes from 1,118 and a 1.94 (Kentucky vs Texas A&M) to 1,021 and a 1.64 (Kentucky vs. Arkansas)
Big 12: 896 and a 1.53 (WVU vs. Kansas) to 851 and a 1.35 (Iowa St. vs WVU)

It's tough to draw conclusions off of a small sample, but in terms of prestige of the matchups, obviously the Big 12 saw a drop and the ratings went down slightly. The SEC saw a drop in the same way. Also the ACC may have gotten a bump from Duke/UNC playing in a semi-final and hooking people into the tournament to tune in the next day. They were the most-watched ACC semifinals ever.

I doubt the TV ratings have much of anything to do with being in Brooklyn, although you might figure it gets a slight bump among NYC households. You'd have to hold it there every year to build up an audience off of the prestige factor like the Big East at MSG.

I would like to know how many people watched the game on the Raycom feed as that had to eat into the ESPN rating by a couple hundred thousand atleast.
Fox isn't getting ratings for the Big East because none of the schools have huge national fanbases. Villanova/Georgetown are their only national brands.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom