According to Andy Katz | Syracusefan.com

According to Andy Katz

rrlbees

Have you donated to an SU NIL collective?
Staff member
Swofford told him that ACC can have SU and Pitt when they want.

Sent from my DROIDX

WOW! That is something I didn't expect at all. So what we need to do is win the BE regular season, win the BE Tourney, and win the Big Dance. By that time we should be all warmed up for our inaugural season in the ACC.

Then I really hope the ACC wants us next year. We shouldn't have to spend another minute is this dysfunctional league. Time to move on ASAP.

Then I really hope the ACC wants us next year. We shouldn't have to spend another minute is this dysfunctional league. Time to move on ASAP.

I would imagine that they will want us in asap. The new tv contract that the ACC is negotiating is contingent upon SU and Pitt being part of the package on offer. If they sign up starting next year, then we'll be ACC-bound.

That is awful...

The last time we got great news before a big game, it was the initial ACC announcement. We got smoked by USC and I didn't even care.

Now we learn that we may move at the end of this year, and we're playing WVU.

Swofford told him that ACC can have SU and Pitt when they want.

Sent from my DROIDX

-------------------

Yes but subject to the Big East letting SU and Pitt go early.

"But when will the two schools come to the ACC?
"I don't know,'' Swofford said. "We fully respect the Big East's bylaws, but we'll welcome Syracuse and Pitt whenever they come, and if it's 27 months, then that's fine. If it's sooner, then that will make us happier as well.''
Big East commissioner John Marinatto continues to insist that Pitt and Syracuse won't get out of the league early. But Swofford said the schools can come to the ACC next season -- if they can leave the Big East.
"We'll be ready for the two of them whenever they can join us,'' Swofford said. "

"ACC commish Swofford told me Wednesday that they can take Pitt/Syr whenever, 2012, too. It's not too late for all this shuffling to..."

ESPNAndyKatz Andy Katz

ACC commish Swofford told me Wednesday that they can take Pitt/Syr whenever, 2012, too. It's not too late for all this shuffling to...
56 minutes ago Favorite Retweet Reply

Oh - I take that to mean IF the Big East releases Syracuse and Pitt after this season then the ACC will take them as soon as next season. That's different than the ACC is calling all the shots.

...so the BE is forgoing the 27 months...wonder if that means the ACC does not raid for another year or two or WHAT IS THE CATCH?

-------------------

"I don't know,'' Swofford said. "We fully respect the Big East's bylaws, but we'll welcome Syracuse and Pitt whenever they come, and if it's 27 months, then that's fine. If it's sooner, then that will make us happier as well.''
Big East commissioner John Marinatto continues to insist that Pitt and Syracuse won't get out of the league early. But Swofford said the schools can come to the ACC next season -- if they can leave the Big East.
"We'll be ready for the two of them whenever they can join us,'' Swofford said. "

"ACC commish Swofford told me Wednesday that they can take Pitt/Syr whenever, 2012, too. It's not too late for all this shuffling to..."

Yeah, that's my concern. Marinatto sounds like he is still acting emotionally. If he was rational you'd think he'd at least want SU basketball out sooner rather than later. SU and Pitt both could grab a BE title or two if we linger in the BE too long.

this is pretty simple...

if the bigeast CAN get enough schools committed to play in it in 2012(ie: at least 8), they let pitt & SU go.

if the bigeast CANNOT get enough schools committed to play in it 2012, they will hold them to wenever they can get to the minimum 8 within the 27 month timeframe. otherwise they have 6, and are not a conf. they would lose everything...bcs, bowls and likely tv $$$.

Yeah, that's my concern. Marinatto sounds like he is still acting emotionally. If he was rational you'd think he'd at least want SU basketball out sooner rather than later. SU and Pitt both could grab a BE title or two if we linger in the BE too long.
----------------

The Big East can't let SU and Pitt go until they have 8 all sport teams; they may soon be losing 1-3 teams to the Big 12; the invited teams haven't yet accepted; once they accept, then they have to determine when these new teams begin play.

-------------------

Well that sucks. I didn't see the article just the tweet. The tweet being much shorter has a different context than the article.

----------------

The Big East can't let SU and Pitt go until they have 8 all sport teams; they may soon be losing 1-3 teams to the Big 12; the invited teams haven't yet accepted; once they accept, then they have to determine when these new teams begin play.

Even when they have 8 sports teams (or 10 or 12), they probably won't let us go.

Our only hope is for the Big East to crumble with the defections of WVU, Louisville, and Cincinnati and for the prospects to decline the invitation.

In other words, see ya in 2014, ACC!

Marinatto could probably have his two all-sports teams in a couple days if he really made that a priority. Both Houston and UCF appear to be eager beavers. Instead, it looks like he's setting his sights first on the academies and Boise. This approach makes sense since the AQ is the current priority. Just saying, though, there are teams out there that would take the BE in a heartbeat for all-sports (Temple is another one but that's another story).

Marinatto could probably have his two all-sports teams in a couple days if he really made that a priority. Both Houston and UCF appear to be eager beavers. Instead, it looks like he's setting his sights first on the academies and Boise. This approach makes sense since the AQ is the current priority. Just saying, though, there are teams out there that would take the BE in a heartbeat for all-sports (Temple is another one but that's another story).

Being stable should be the priority, and UCF and Houston would be a good start. Looking for stability from the teams waiting to see stability is just idiotic. But hey, should we expect anything less?

...so the BE is forgoing the 27 months...wonder if that means the ACC does not raid for another year or two or WHAT IS THE CATCH?
No.

Read the other posts above this one, or watch the Swofford interview. Katz' tweet is misleading.
Swofford only indicates that the ACC is able to include ("take") Syracuse and Pitt into their schedule whenever they're available. If the BE won't release the schools then it's another 2 years of BE play. I still expect it to be a single extra year.

Marinatto could probably have his two all-sports teams in a couple days if he really made that a priority. Both Houston and UCF appear to be eager beavers. Instead, it looks like he's setting his sights first on the academies and Boise. This approach makes sense since the AQ is the current priority.
At this point it's AQ or bust. If the Big XII invites WVU, UL & Cincy then there's nothing left to salvage. The hoops-only schools likely won't want to be "saddled" with UCF, UH & SMU. I just don't see the BE willing to host a non-AQ FB conference to please Yukon, Rutgers & USF.

...next year would be great...even Mizzou is saying '12 for their conference even if not Big 12

SU & Pitt's release to the ACC won't happen until the BE adds replacements to meet the requirement of having 8 conference FBS members AND those teams begin play (not just accept an invite). The BE can't let us leave before or they would lose their BCS AQ.

SU & Pitt's release to the ACC won't happen until the BE adds replacements to meet the requirement of having 8 conference FBS members AND those teams begin play (not just accept an invite). The BE can't let us leave before or they would lose their BCS AQ.

The Big East has not figured it out yet. Whether or not they keep their AQ status will be completely dependent on the other 5 conferences and the network who buys the BCS rights for the 2014-1015 season going forward. If they want the Big East out, they will just change the rules for AQ.

I believe that once the commissioner gets over his snit, that their are basketball only schools that would like to play us when we leave. I'm thinking of Georgetown, Villanova, St John's, Notre Dame and others, but if they make our Chancelor and AD think their being petty then those chances will disappear. A good idea would be for a yearly challenge of former Big East basketball schools against the football schools in a day night doubleheader at MSG on espn.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laxmom2317

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom