Accountability | Syracusefan.com

Accountability

TheCusian

Living Legend
Didn't see anyone post about this yet, but thought it was really interesting:

"

“The kids are good,” Marrone said on the eve of the 40-10 Orange blowout. “They are (mad) but in a good way. They have started to take some accountability.”

For weeks Marrone had placed all the blame for the team’s record squarely on his own shoulders, so much so that it grew wearisome to hear. The players apparently thought so, too, and began to step up and take responsibility for the mistakes they had made that created the 2-4 mess they were in – a minus-10 turnover margin, untimely penalties, special-teams breakdowns and red-zone failures high on the list.

The standard “we just have to clean up the little things” was replaced by “I have to clean up my act,” a subtle but significant shift in the team’s psyche. Marrone liked what he was hearing and seeing in practice and forged his game plan for the Huskies with that in mind."

Seems like all that "I have to do a better job" stuff, while true - also was a way of modeling the kind of behavior he wanted to see in his team. Each component taking leadership and accountability for itself. This is not just good coaching - but great coaching.

It was annoying for us to hear him falling on his sword game after game, but if it results in each unit and player owning up to their mistakes? That's winning football.

I did read that. And ironically I thought I heard the same things coming out of the player's mouths leading up to the UConn game. I heard several players saying it's my fault. I have to do a better job. We have to hang on to the ball. Before that I hadn't heard as much of that. Again, it's another example of Doug's plan being long term and not a quick fix. He's building a program that will hopefully last, not just waving a wand for a quick fix until he can find a better job.

Usually that accountability is brought on by a team leader, telling the team they need to step up and that Coach is putting them in the right place to win, and that they just need to execute.

I follow a few players on Twitter, and they were saying the same thing. I hope they keep it up.

Usually that accountability is brought on by a team leader, telling the team they need to step up and that Coach is putting them in the right place to win, and that they just need to execute.

For sure. But that could have happened multiple times - eventually enough losses can make these leaders less effective.

That's why people shouldn't put too much stock in what coaches say publicly. Coaches say what they feel they have to say, whether it is to deflect blame, to motivate, or to direct attention in a specific area. They are politicians. People get too hung up on their words.

this is why we're going to miss Dave Rahme. That article was great and shows the insights he offers and digs for.

That's why people shouldn't put too much stock in what coaches say publicly. Coaches say what they feel they have to say, whether it is to deflect blame, to motivate, or to direct attention in a specific area. They are politicians. People get too hung up on their words.

For sure. But with Doug, I think it was a little of both. Getting the guys to take accountability and taking the heat is an admirable position to take. Lots of guys can't keep it up and start deflecting blame.

There is some truth to that. But coaches will tell you that when turnovers and penalties are systemic, it is a discipline problem and coaches are responsible for discipline. Great the players are taking personal responsibility, but it is on the staff to get it cleaned up.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

There is some truth to that. But coaches will tell you that when turnovers and penalties are systemic, it is a discipline problem and coaches are responsible for discipline. Great the players are taking personal responsibility, but it is on the staff to get it cleaned up.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

In my experience, you can emphasis something all you want - and get some results. But it really clicks when both the coaches and players are taking responsibility. Some coaches lead the players to water and then proceed to drown them in it (over emphasis gets into a players head, makes them tight).

That's why Marrone's approach is kind of different: taking it all on himself compelled the players to do the same.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseVegas

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom