ACC's future | Syracusefan.com

ACC's future

AlaskaSU

Build a dorm, burn the locker rm. upgrade the dome
Reading this North Carolina thread
http://mbd.At their request, this n...rom this site./mb.aspx?s=78&f=1410&t=10508159
makes it clear that the conference is unstable. FSU, Clemson and Miami would all jump if given the opportunity. It is crucial that the ACC attract a solid football school. They would have to raid another power conference, not the Big East. There is even speculation among NC fans that they will leave for another conf as the ACC implodes over the next decade or sooner.

Stronger football conferences offer better money overall but if a new team can dominate the ACC in football with some frequency, it would more than make up for the money it would get by being a mediocre team in their former conf. Its our only argument to get what we need to keep our new conference from going the way of the Big East, fodder for football player biggies. The ACC is not as stable as we assumed. Consolidation has not run its course.

For us to land on our feet if the ACC implodes it is crucial that our football team claw its way back into relevancy. We need to be able to attract crowds for home and away games. Within the rules of the NCAA, no expense or effort should be spared to help our football team. Our future depends on it.

Reading this North Carolina thread
http://mbd.*********/mb.aspx?s=78&f=1410&t=10508159
makes it clear that the conference is unstable. FSU, Clemson and Miami would all jump if given the opportunity. It is crucial that the ACC attract a solid football school. They would have to raid another power conference, not the Big East. There is even speculation among NC fans that they will leave for another conf as the ACC implodes over the next decade or sooner.

Stronger football conferences offer better money overall but if a new team can dominate the ACC in football with some frequency, it would more than make up for the money it would get by being a mediocre team in their former conf. Its our only argument to get what we need to keep our new conference from going the way of the Big East, fodder for football player biggies. The ACC is not as stable as we assumed. Consolidation has not run its course.

For us to land on our feet if the ACC implodes it is crucial that our football team claw its way back into relevancy. We need to be able to attract crowds for home and away games. Within the rules of the NCAA, no expense or effort should be spared to help our football team. Our future depends on it.
The fan in me believes all this to be true, but the fact that the B1G grabbed Maryland and Rutgers at this point tells me that all of this is about TV sets, not even the promise of anyone turning them on. The product has been diluted in the B1G, but it will likely be a huge financial success. We don't need to be better in football or basketball, we need to promise a larger market than the next guy.

This is all maddenning, and my guess is that in 10 years we will be left shaking our heads at what we let college athletics do to change the face of College BB and FB.

We need to stay in position to remain RELEVANT. Big time schools like FSU and Clemson can flirt with the SEC all they want. If they go, the teams will beat each other up. I know it is a hoops analogy but did no one learn from the years of when the Big East BB were left out of the Big Dance since they had too many conference losses? It is not like most SEC teams remotely challenge themselves out of conference. The road to the NC and BCS games will be more difficult in the SEC and they have not exactly been lighting up the ACC. These megaconferences need to add teams that their own teams can beat just as much as they need the heavy hitters. It is mathmatically impossible to play 100 games and have more than 50 winners. Recruits want to go to schools that are winning and have big time atmospheres. We have a chance to continue to upgrade ours. Again this is matter of staying relevant to survive - be one of the top 60 most relevant programs in FB and hoops. I think we are in pretty good shape.

PS just beacuse Rutgers vs. Iowa is on TV will not mean I will watch it.

I can tell you right now that I WON'T watch that game. And I doubt anyone in NYC, not Jersey, NYC will care much about it either.

I can tell you right now that I WON'T watch that game. And I doubt anyone in NYC, not Jersey, NYC will care much about it either.
That's ok, the people in New Jersey, NYC and Maryland will all be paying for the Big Ten Network to be there in case they do want to watch it.

Yeah it's all about cable packages that are forced on us by the cable monopolies. BigTen lobbies providers to add BT network to their basic packages which means everyone well be paying for it even if they don't care.

The fan in me believes all this to be true, but the fact that the B1G grabbed Maryland and Rutgers at this point tells me that all of this is about TV sets, not even the promise of anyone turning them on. The product has been diluted in the B1G, but it will likely be a huge financial success. We don't need to be better in football or basketball, we need to promise a larger market than the next guy.

so give up the Notre Dame pipe dream. Add UConn, Temple and Navy to get to 16. That puts Boston (BC), the tri-state area (UConn and SU), Philly (Temple) and Baltimore/DC (Navy) in your television footprint - the entire northeastern megalopolis - to go with the existing southeastern footprint.

Won't matter as long as its on a TV schedule. If it's picked up, it's money.

so give up the Notre Dame pipe dream. Add UConn, Temple and Navy to get to 16. That puts Boston (BC), the tri-state area (UConn and SU), Philly (Temple) and Baltimore/DC (Navy) in your television footprint - the entire northeastern megalopolis - to go with the existing southeastern footprint.
I am not pretending to know the answer to all of this, but it seems to be a delicate balance between TV sets and seats at the big boy table. IMO, we don't want to invite anyone else to the table at this point. Even cornering those markets won't make up the fiscal ground that the SEC, B1G and Pac 12 already have. They can afford to take on teams with market in mind only. The ACC has to be conscious of both market and product, it makes the next phase that much more important.

Wow, I think FSU & Clemson would eliminate their respective football programs before ever agreeing to be a part of that. Yikes! :bang:

it feels like we got off the Titanic just in time, and the rescue boat just sprung it's first leak.

Wow, I think FSU & Clemson would eliminate their respective football programs before ever agreeing to be a part of that. Yikes! :bang:

if it's about potential number of TV sets, I don't see a better solution.

and, if its about getting a nationally recognized football program, I don't see Notre Dame or Texas sitting down at the table. we are talking about replacing Maryland in a conference that already has Duke, Wake,and Syracuse

In that scenario, FSU and Clemson are as good as gone. The goal now is appeasement of the football schools. You can't add nothing football schools like Temple and Navy (and Uconn for that matter). They basically need to choose the next candidate ( Which would be Louisville if the only added 1)

Sad part is that these ridiculous conference moves are being made with cable television profits and business model in mind, a technology that will be replaced in the future with broader, more flexible distribution models over IP. How soon? Not sure, but it is not that far off that we will someday look back on this inanity for ruining college sports. If we are going to ruin everything, lets at least do it for a technology that is forward thinking not backwards...

Not so sure about that, this link seems to suggest otherwise. Link (Click on the the New York area).

Yeah it's all about cable packages that are forced on us by the cable monopolies. BigTen lobbies providers to add BT network to their basic packages which means everyone well be paying for it even if they don't care.

Tradition - Tradition!
628x471.jpg

We are all overestimating the power of the top conferences here. When all is said & done, it's the PROGRAMS that carry all the weight. Syracuse IS one of the top programs in athletics, & will never be left out of the loop when it comes to the big boy table.

We are also assuming there will only be 4 super conferences. Who made that rule? There are more than enough programs to support at least 5 super conferences, & the ACC will remain as one of them.

Rutgers will always be a crappy program in both football & basketball, despite their recent success. You can't use less than a decade of success to forecast future winning, just like you can't forecast doom based on short term failure. The Big Ten only wants Rutgers for the NY market, which is a mistake, because they will lose huge to the top programs in the B10 annually. The casual fan will not be interested in mediocrity or worse.

I don't see a reason to bolt so quickly for Md. Instead of splitting 288M between 12 teams (24/T), the B1G will be adding 2 teams and therefore splitting revenue 14 ways, 20.5 per team. That's 3.5 more than the ACC (about even with the SEC). But with a 50M exit fee, it'll take Md 14+ years to break even. Not exactly a gold mine if those assumptions are roughly correct.

BTN money alone will be $20 million a year for MD.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

We are all overestimating the power of the top conferences here. When all is said & done, it's the PROGRAMS that carry all the weight. Syracuse IS one of the top programs in athletics, & will never be left out of the loop when it comes to the big boy table.

We are also assuming there will only be 4 super conferences. Who made that rule? There are more than enough programs to support at least 5 super conferences, & the ACC will remain as one of them.

Rutgers will always be a crappy program in both football & basketball, despite their recent success. You can't use less than a decade of success to forecast future winning, just like you can't forecast doom based on short term failure. The Big Ten only wants Rutgers for the NY market, which is a mistake, because they will lose huge to the top programs in the B10 annually. The casual fan will not be interested in mediocrity or worse.

The key words are "super conferences". Name me any university beyond 64 that you would consider "super".

If the ACC can not attrach a bigger TV deal than it already has with the teams it already has, then they never will. Adding "nothing" teams in Boston, NY and Philly areas will not draw bigger TV money than on the table now. Given the choice of adding a package of mediocure teams in your area play other mediocure teams or watching big time, major college football (read SEC or Big 10), which package do you think will really win out? Yea alumni of those schools may want to watch them but they are a very, very small percentage of the viewing public. An without the money to share with it's members, who will stay around when given a choice like Maryland who was going broke.