ACCT Back To Tobacco Road... | Syracusefan.com

ACCT Back To Tobacco Road...

I don't understand why they're going to Charlotte. There are some downtown hotels from which you can walk to the arena but most people will have to drive. Don't think that because it's a pro arena that it's better than Greensboro. It's not. It's got an incredible number of luxury boxes but for almost everyone not in a luxury box, seating sucks. The concourses aren't as wide or as nice as Greensboro. Concourses matter a lot when you're in an arena from noon until nearly midnight. There were many negative comment about the arena the only time the ACC tournament was in the current Charlotte arena. The tournament used to be in Charlotte a lot but in a different arena that's been torn down. That older arena was quite nice apart from the fact that it took forever to get in and out of the parking lots. Don't expect Charlotte to be some great cosmopolitan city. It's not.

Bummer, was curious what the press conference was going to be about. I was hoping that it had something to do with the rumored ACC network.

I don't understand why they're going to Charlotte. There are some downtown hotels from which you can walk to the arena but most people will have to drive. Don't think that because it's a pro arena that it's better than Greensboro. It's not. It's got an incredible number of luxury boxes but for almost everyone not in a luxury box, seating sucks. The concourses aren't as wide or as nice as Greensboro. Concourses matter a lot when you're in an arena from noon until nearly midnight. There were many negative comment about the arena the only time the ACC tournament was in the current Charlotte arena. The tournament used to be in Charlotte a lot but in a different arena that's been torn down. That older arena was quite nice apart from the fact that it took forever to get in and out of the parking lots. Don't expect Charlotte to be some great cosmopolitan city. It's not.

Agree.

If it has to be south of the Mason-Dixon, at least play in the giant arena with the tradition in Greensboro.

Still think alternating sites is bad for continuity. I don't think the BE at MSG would have been nearly as good if it moved around.

This is bush league. No league that calls itself the "premiere basketball conference" should be playing its conference tournament in Charlotte.

I bet Mr. Cannon was not at the presser.

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/03/27/u...-bribes-officials-say.html?smid=tw-share&_r=0

The mayor of Charlotte, N.C., resigned on Wednesday after he was arrested on public corruption charges, as federal law enforcement officials alleged that he accepted a trip to Las Vegas, use of a luxury apartment and more than $48,000 in cash in exchange for helping smooth out municipal obstacles for undercover agents posing as investors.

Patrick D. Cannon, a Democrat, had been in the mayor’s office only since early December, but he has been involved in city politics since he was elected to the City Council in 1993 at the age of 26.

At least all North Carolina jails and prisons will get the ACC Network.

Tradition demands it.

I think with the conference's first experience in NYC being at Barclays, followed by an immediate return to NC, it's more likely they end up alternating long-term than moving to MSG permanently, which may mean no MSG ever. The arena is fine at Barclays, although it obviously lacks the history - let's be fair here, that history matters way more to SU, Pitt, BC, ND and somewhat Louisville fans than it does to the rest of the conference.

The fan experience at Barclays will be good, but it won't hold a candle to MSG. Southerners aren't going to think it's cool to hang out in Brooklyn. They'll either whine about hipsters or being in the "hood" in Brooklyn, and there aren't enough places right around the arena to spill out into. I think anyone from Tobacco Road who spends one conference tournament at MSG would love it right away, but a lot of that is because they could spill out to the bars around the arena and enjoy the atmosphere. If their first experience doesn't include that, the resistance to a long-term agreement with MSG to have the tourney in NYC will go up significantly.

I think with the conference's first experience in NYC being at Barclays, followed by an immediate return to NC, it's more likely they end up alternating long-term than moving to MSG permanently, which may mean no MSG ever. The arena is fine at Barclays, although it obviously lacks the history - let's be fair here, that history matters way more to SU, Pitt, BC, ND and somewhat Louisville fans than it does to the rest of the conference.

The fan experience at Barclays will be good, but it won't hold a candle to MSG. Southerners aren't going to think it's cool to hang out in Brooklyn. They'll either whine about hipsters or being in the "hood" in Brooklyn, and there aren't enough places right around the arena to spill out into. I think anyone from Tobacco Road who spends one conference tournament at MSG would love it right away, but a lot of that is because they could spill out to the bars around the arena and enjoy the atmosphere. If their first experience doesn't include that, the resistance to a long-term agreement with MSG to have the tourney in NYC will go up significantly.

There's no place to spill out to in Greensboro.

With apologies to Mrs. Bayside, the only two things good about North Carolina are golf courses and flying over it to get to more golf courses in Hilton Head and Florida.

Jeepers said:
Still think alternating sites is bad for continuity. I don't think the BE at MSG would have been nearly as good if it moved around.

So true. As long as they keep moving it around, it will never be what they want it to be.

The ACC is trying to keep everyone happy, and by doing so, they're keeping no one happy.

Sigh.

This is nearly as depressing as the Ennis news.

Syracuse fans should not delude themselves into thinking that once ACC fans see a tournament in MSG that they'll be delighted to have the tournament there forever. I can get to Greensboro from my home in Raleigh in an hour and a quarter. How could I possibly be convinced that flying to NYC is better? NYC is a fine place but I go to the ACC tournament to watch hoops, not go to museums or plays. Greensboro is within easy driving distance of at least seven of the ACC schools, eight if you include Ga.Tech. There's no way that U.Va. fans can stream into NYC for an ACC championship game the way they streamed into Greensboro this year. MSG has many happy associations for Syracuse fans but not so much for most of the rest of the conference. The tournament will rotate through NYC but putting it there for good isn't going to happen. By the way, if you look on the Pitt board, you'll notice that their fans came away from Greensboro with somewhat altered opinions about having the tournament there, with some actually liking it. If I had to guess, I'd guess that Louisville fans won't mind Greensboro a bit.

This tournament is going to rotate. It's the only thing to do with a conference that sprawls from Boston to Miami. I can't expect it to be in NC every year. Syracuse fans can't expect it to be in NY every year.

hallcity said:
Syracuse fans should not delude themselves into thinking that once ACC fans see a tournament in MSG that they'll be delighted to have the tournament there forever. I can get to Greensboro from my home in Raleigh in an hour and a quarter. How could I possibly be convinced that flying to NYC is better? NYC is a fine place but I go to the ACC tournament to watch hoops, not go to museums or plays. Greensboro is within easy driving distance of at least seven of the ACC schools, eight if you include Ga.Tech. There's no way that U.Va. fans can stream into NYC for an ACC championship game the way they streamed into Greensboro this year. MSG has many happy associations for Syracuse fans but not so much for most of the rest of the conference. The tournament will rotate through NYC but putting it there for good isn't going to happen. By the way, if you look on the Pitt board, you'll notice that their fans came away from Greensboro with somewhat altered opinions about having the tournament there, with some actually liking it. If I had to guess, I'd guess that Louisville fans won't mind Greensboro a bit. This tournament is going to rotate. It's the only thing to do with a conference that sprawls from Boston to Miami. I can't expect it to be in NC every year. Syracuse fans can't expect it to be in NY every year.

You're right. One of the reasons I was opposed to the ACC.

But I didn't get a vote.

Thank God for the glory years.

There's no place to spill out to in Greensboro.

No, but if there's no place to spill out to and they don't have the enhanced atmosphere, they'll say why break tradition and why leave our back yard?

Syracuse fans should not delude themselves into thinking that once ACC fans see a tournament in MSG that they'll be delighted to have the tournament there forever. I can get to Greensboro from my home in Raleigh in an hour and a quarter. How could I possibly be convinced that flying to NYC is better? NYC is a fine place but I go to the ACC tournament to watch hoops, not go to museums or plays. Greensboro is within easy driving distance of at least seven of the ACC schools, eight if you include Ga.Tech. There's no way that U.Va. fans can stream into NYC for an ACC championship game the way they streamed into Greensboro this year. MSG has many happy associations for Syracuse fans but not so much for most of the rest of the conference. The tournament will rotate through NYC but putting it there for good isn't going to happen. By the way, if you look on the Pitt board, you'll notice that their fans came away from Greensboro with somewhat altered opinions about having the tournament there, with some actually liking it. If I had to guess, I'd guess that Louisville fans won't mind Greensboro a bit.

This tournament is going to rotate. It's the only thing to do with a conference that sprawls from Boston to Miami. I can't expect it to be in NC every year. Syracuse fans can't expect it to be in NY every year.

The drive from Syracuse to NYC is over 4 hours. The drive from Charlottesville to NYC is about 5.5 hours, and from Charlottesville to Greensboro is 3. Charlottesville to Charlotte is 4.5. None of that is really an "easy" drive. GT to Greensboro is 5 hours, so if that's within easy driving distance then UVA is within "easy" driving distance of NYC.

The atmosphere in NYC has nothing to do with plays and museums. Within 1-3 blocks of the Garden are TONS of great bars and restaurants, and fans of the different schools congregate in them. I know you're a Duke alum/fan, and I know you guys would have a huge presence there, so there would probably be a few designated Duke spots to drink, hang out and watch games. There would be a buzz all day long around the tourney, and you'd leave the bar for the games and walk a couple blocks and be there without having to worry about driving, parking, etc.

Meanwhile, the entire tournament becomes the talk of New York - the #1 media market in the country. This also makes it a bigger deal nationally. The entire thing becomes a huge recruiting tool. I know that fans of long-time ACC teams have no fond memories in MSG, but if they play there for a couple years, they will. My read on it is that there would be tons of Duke and UNC fans/alums there, both from having a strong presence there anyway and from making a trip out of it. I view those schools as the only ones that "really" matter in terms of getting it there long-term. I don't expect UVA, NC State, GT fans, etc to come around on it. If Duke, UNC and 'Cuse want it there, I think it might happen.

I live in Delaware, but I did live in NYC a few years. I'd go up to an ACCT in Brooklyn for the games, but I wouldn't expect it to compare at all to MSG. Quite frankly, if it is never at MSG, I think a rotation is in the best interest of the conference. If they can get MSG, I think that holding it there every year would be in the best interest of the conference. If you haven't watched Requiem for the Big East, watch it and see what that venue did for the conference. Right now people still view the ACC as a Southern conference, instead of what it should be seen as - an East coast conference that is by far the best hoops conference in the country. A tourney at MSG every year would cement it as such.

When the Big East was created, they too started with a rotational tournament site each year. The first year was in Providence at the new Providence Civic Center, the next year it was at the Carrier Dome, the year after at the Hartford Civic Center and the next year at MSG - never to leave. The Big East had great facilities and a wonderful array of prestigious cities to rotate to - Philly, NY, Washington DC, Providence, Boston etc but everyone agreed on NYC's MSG. There was obviously a reason for that agreement between so many universities in such great cities with great venues that chose MSG in New York City as their permanent site. It's something the ACC should think strongly about because the venue and setting is special.

The drive from Syracuse to NYC is over 4 hours. The drive from Charlottesville to NYC is about 5.5 hours, and from Charlottesville to Greensboro is 3. Charlottesville to Charlotte is 4.5. None of that is really an "easy" drive. GT to Greensboro is 5 hours, so if that's within easy driving distance then UVA is within "easy" driving distance of NYC.

The atmosphere in NYC has nothing to do with plays and museums. Within 1-3 blocks of the Garden are TONS of great bars and restaurants, and fans of the different schools congregate in them. I know you're a Duke alum/fan, and I know you guys would have a huge presence there, so there would probably be a few designated Duke spots to drink, hang out and watch games. There would be a buzz all day long around the tourney, and you'd leave the bar for the games and walk a couple blocks and be there without having to worry about driving, parking, etc.

Meanwhile, the entire tournament becomes the talk of New York - the #1 media market in the country. This also makes it a bigger deal nationally. The entire thing becomes a huge recruiting tool. I know that fans of long-time ACC teams have no fond memories in MSG, but if they play there for a couple years, they will. My read on it is that there would be tons of Duke and UNC fans/alums there, both from having a strong presence there anyway and from making a trip out of it. I view those schools as the only ones that "really" matter in terms of getting it there long-term. I don't expect UVA, NC State, GT fans, etc to come around on it. If Duke, UNC and 'Cuse want it there, I think it might happen.

I live in Delaware, but I did live in NYC a few years. I'd go up to an ACCT in Brooklyn for the games, but I wouldn't expect it to compare at all to MSG. Quite frankly, if it is never at MSG, I think a rotation is in the best interest of the conference. If they can get MSG, I think that holding it there every year would be in the best interest of the conference. If you haven't watched Requiem for the Big East, watch it and see what that venue did for the conference. Right now people still view the ACC as a Southern conference, instead of what it should be seen as - an East coast conference that is by far the best hoops conference in the country. A tourney at MSG every year would cement it as such.
My map program shows it to be a seven hour drive from Charlottesville to NYC, not five and a half. That's a long way to go on the spur of the moment.

My map program shows it to be a seven hour drive from Charlottesville to NYC, not five and a half. That's a long way to go on the spur of the moment.

It's 4 and a half from Northern Virginia. Our board has a bad habit about using the starting point being the college campus. State U school fans are coming from everywhere.

Greensboro is pretty minor league, nice arena and complex though. Would rather go through Charlotte. No problem with a rotation, the Garden would be great but Brooklyn is cool.

You are in error it is about 5.5 hrs drive time. You must have a very poor mapping program.
I do not really care where they hold the ACCT as I will probably never go, if it does not have some other attraction than the ball games.

I live in Atlanta now. I'm in driving distance to Charlotte and I don't give a ****. I'd rather drive or fly up to NYC then go to freakin Charlotte.

You won't understand until you actually go to a Conference Tourney in NYC.

longislandcuse said:
I live in Atlanta now. I'm in driving distance to Charlotte and I don't give a ****. I'd rather drive or fly up to NYC then go to freakin Charlotte. You won't understand until you actually go to a Conference Tourney in NYC.

After the Big East tourney at MSG, the ACC tourney will always be an afterthought. The tourney is trying to keep everyone happy. When that happens, no one is particularly happy and there's no tradition. The intimacy that was MSG has been lost forever.

I don't think MSG was available, and getting it in Barclay's for 2 years required concessions to the Atlantic 10. It's a positive that this Barclay's arrangement worked out. Hopefully they will create a good experience and the league fans from all the schools will want to return to New York. I wouldn't expect the league to drop consideration of places where the tournament has a long history of success to make a long term committment to a place it has never been yet. We know that the mix of teams in the Big East like the tournament at MSG. Will this mix of all of the ACC teams like it there, or close to there in Brooklyn. The good news is that we now will get the chance the find out, at least regarding Brooklyn.

This is a bit much. We have fans all over the place. So do a lot of ACC programs. My only gripe with the rotation is putting it in a minor league town, regardless of the fact the conference has offices there. The Garden made sense when the real Big East was the Amtrak conference. And when that changed it helped keep the league big.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom