After reading the football board today | Syracusefan.com

After reading the football board today

Gabjon

All American
I want to give James Arthur Boeheim a huge shout out! We haven't seriously had to worry about our coaching leaving in my lifetime and when JB retires we already have a coach in place who is already a lifer.

I am a fan of the football team and am very concerned about the future of the program, but I have NEVER in life been concerned about the future of the program in basketball. I've been concerned about a team here or there that wasn't very good or player that is underachieving or being on the bubble, but the program as whole?, the direct of the program?, the future of the program?..No. The present is JB and the future is Mike Hopkins who is 26 years younger than JB and there are no signs that this is a stepping stone job for him quite the opposite really. Mike will probably be the head coach for 20 years after JB. Stability is so key is sports and that's what we have and will have for the foreseeable future and it feels good!

Happy New Year!

It will be interesting to see if Jb gets a pay raise if the university is forced to pay marrone a higher salary.

Yes to that. SU also got spoiled by JB not demanding a market salary.

But in fairness I think JB traded a little money for a lot of power...the man is no dummy

I want to give James Arthur Boeheim a huge shout out! We haven't seriously had to worry about our coaching leaving in my lifetime and when JB retires we already have a coach in place who is already a lifer.

I am a fan of the football team and am very concerned about the future of the program, but I have NEVER in life been concerned about the future of the program in basketball. I've been concerned about a team here or there that wasn't very good or player that is underachieving or being on the bubble, but the program as whole?, the direct of the program?, the future of the program?..No. The present is JB and the future is Mike Hopkins who is 26 years younger than JB and there are no signs that this is a stepping stone job for him quite the opposite really. Mike will probably be the head coach for 20 years after JB. Stability is so key is sports and that's what we have and will have for the foreseeable future and it feels good!

Happy New Year!
Speaking of all of that, Siena will probably be looking for a new coach after this season. I wonder if Red Autry would be considered experienced enough for that job. I'm not close enough to his situation, but he seems like he has a huge upside.

Speaking of all of that, Siena will probably be looking for a new coach after this season. I wonder if Red Autry would be considered experienced enough for that job. I'm not close enough to his situation, but he seems like he has a huge upside.

I hope not but if Red leaves Allen Griffin steps right in. The program is a machine!

Experience isn't necessary for that job IMO, but Red would jump at that I'd imagine.

Yeah that job should definitely open up.

Experience isn't necessary for that job IMO, but Red would jump at that I'd imagine.
I just think Siena is going to be real careful on who they hire since the program has gone downhill since McCaffery left. As good is Autry is or should be, they might be holding out for someone with a winning track record.

I just think Siena is going to be real careful on who they hire since the program has gone downhill since McCaffery left. As good is Autry is or should be, they might be holding out for someone with a winning track record.

As a Siena alum, they are very limited in how picky they can be. I'll leave it at that. ;)

Red can recruit that is more important than coaching experience.

All the money the University saved on JB's contract over the years, they should invest it in everything that Doug and Darryl want.

If Hopkins coaches at SU for the next 20 years, that is about best case scenario for the program--because it would mean that he does well to warrant sticking around that long.

I love Hopkins, but I'll confess that I'm a bit nervous about the transition when it eventually happens. Following an icon is never easy, and there are recent historical examples to suggest that the guy who takes over even established programs doesn't always sustain the success of the legendary coach they succeed [see: UNC, Indiana, Arizona, etc.].

As a Siena alum, they are very limited in how picky they can be. I'll leave it at that. ;)
Look at Canisius getting Jim Baron. Siena fans and alum would drool to have him on the sidelines. Bottom line is that Siena is still the best program in the MAAC due to their facilities. No MAAC program is going to be able to pay a king's ransom but if Canisius can get Baron and Iona can do great with a former D-2 coach, there is no question that that coaches will be lining up to interview for this opening.

If Hopkins coaches at SU for the next 20 years, that is about best case scenario for the program--because it would mean that he does well to warrant sticking around that long.

I love Hopkins, but I'll confess that I'm a bit nervous about the transition when it eventually happens. Following an icon is never easy, and there are recent historical examples to suggest that the guy who takes over even established programs doesn't always sustain the success of the legendary coach they succeed [see: UNC, Indiana, Arizona, etc.].

It all depends on how full the pipeline is. It worked short term for Bill Gutheridge

Happy New Year!
HCDM should have a little talk with HCJB.

Hahahaha. Agreed. As a Siena alum, they would take GMAC at this point. It would be cheap and make national news.

HCDM should have a little talk with HCJB.

Doug is entitled to do what he feels is best for him and his family, but what JB has been is truly special a coaching rock.

It all depends on how full the pipeline is. It worked short term for Bill Gutheridge

Short term, Gut had all of Dean Smith's players at his disposal, including Antawn Jamison / Jerry Stackhouse. By year 3, tar heel fans were chanting "Gut must go"

Short term, Gut had all of Dean Smith's players at his disposal, including Antawn Jamison / Jerry Stackhouse. By year 3, tar heel fans were chanting "Gut must go"

Thats what I mean. He rode the coattails of what Deano brought in and then poof it was gone. I hope that doesnt happen with us.

Thats what I mean. He rode the coattails of what Deano brought in and then poof it was gone. I hope that doesnt happen with us.
I don't think so. Hop has recruited and runs half the practice. He is ready.

Guthridge was old and was only planning on coaching a few years. This was used against them in recruiting. Other staffs would say you don't know who your head coach will be in 3 years. They should never have given him the job but it's what Smith wanted. Hop is young and a long term guy. Totally different.

I think there will be a learn curve as it relates to in games adjustments, but I think he will pick that up pretty quickly (within the first 3-4 years). I'm concerned that Hop might be too nice of a guy there is a reason most good coaches are hard asses.

I really don't understand these types of threads. So we know what SU hoops would be like today
if Jim Boeheim left in 1980? Was anyone worried about Jim leaving after 1980? Interesting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CB277777

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom