After rewatching Marq vs Cuse from 2010 | Syracusefan.com

After rewatching Marq vs Cuse from 2010

Cuse1055

SU Video Maven
A few random musings:

1. I have said this multiple times and continue to wonder why we can’t get a big like AO or Rick Jackson again. Rick was a 4 star and AO was a 3 star so it’s not like they’re 5 star AA types in high school. Amazing to watch how dominant we were down low with the two of them. Solid and skilled big men who protected the lane and took up space as well as polished offensively.

2. Andy didn’t score a single point but he undoubtedly was our team leader. Loved his composure and leadership. I remember debating whether he or Wes would win Big East POY.

3. Speaking of Wes, he may have only played one year but he will forever be one of my favorite players in an orange uniform. He was always so fun to watch and was another ultimate team player although he was an Uber-talented star.

4. Buzz always has and always will be annoying, but a good coach. He got reminded a number of times to get back in the coaches box by... Jim Burr ha.

5. Burr got me wondering when did he and Higgins officially retire? I assume they both retired the same season, which is fitting considering how both of them tortured us as fans.

6. Lastly, I never would have thought that a young Jimmy Butler playing power forward would turn into an NBA All-Star. Really developed as a player. He, Lazar Hayward, Crowder and Johnson-Odom drove me nuts. For a few years (09-13) we had a nice little rivalry with Marquette going, obviously highlighted by NCAA tournament meetings in 2011 and 2013.

In my opinion Rautins should have been the league MVP his senior year. Rautins has more dagger plays in my memory bank than Wes. MU had very good talent - they sort of underachieved in hindsight.

wes was huge for that team.

The fact we haven't been able to find another Jackson or AO since Rak is mind boggling.
Lydon was a better shooter and not the same type of player.

Finding AO's and Rick Jackson's is how your team can be a complete team with shooters.

A few random musings:

1. I have said this multiple times and continue to wonder why we can’t get a big like AO or Rick Jackson again. Rick was a 4 star and AO was a 3 star so it’s not like they’re 5 star AA types in high school. Amazing to watch how dominant we were down low with the two of them. Solid and skilled big men who protected the lane and took up space as well as polished offensively.

Not sure when exactly, but i think Jimmy changed the zone rotations. Pitino used to overload and park a three point shooter in the corner who would torch us. I think that became the genesis of having "long" quick centers who can get out to the corner. It also effective killed center recruiting.

Last edited:
It's been said many times but that very well could be our best team ever. Unbelievable chemistry, threats all over the floor, a great zone that trapped more frequently and successfully than I ever remember. Andy was outstanding, ran the team to perfection

Marquette, Louisville and Cincy were such exciting additions to the Big East at the time. Those teams seemed to fit electrically in the conference from the get-go

It's been said many times but that very well could be our best team ever. Unbelievable chemistry, threats all over the floor, a great zone that trapped more frequently and successfully than I ever remember. Andy was outstanding, ran the team to perfection

Yep, my favorite SU team of all time. Such a complete team.

Not sure when exactly, but i think Jimmy changed the zone rotations. Pitino used to overload and park a three point shooter in the corner who would torch us. I think that became the genesis of having "long" quick centers who can get out to the corner. It also effective killed center recruiting.

For some reason Boeheim thinks making that change in philosophy would make us better, yet we are nowhere near the level of those teams with AO, Rick, and Fab.

In my opinion Rautins should have been the league MVP his senior year. Rautins has more dagger plays in my memory bank than Wes. MU had very good talent - they sort of underachieved in hindsight.
Thought I was the only one who had this opinion of rautins. His passing, unselfishness and defense were every bit as impressive as his shooting — which was lights out.

I dvred it. Good lord Dickie Simpkins is attrocious. My ears hurt.

It's been said many times but that very well could be our best team ever. Unbelievable chemistry, threats all over the floor, a great zone that trapped more frequently and successfully than I ever remember.
That zone was pretty good but nothing like the defense we rolled out 2 years later. And let's not forget, it was after Pitino kept shredding us from the corner that year that JB decided that the center should cover the entire baseline. It's amazing nobody has been killed or suffered a concussion in the bleachers yet.

That zone was pretty good but nothing like the defense we rolled out 2 years later. And let's not forget, it was after Pitino kept shredding us from the corner that year that JB decided that the center should cover the entire baseline. It's amazing nobody has been killed or suffered a concussion in the bleachers yet.

2012 was certainly great, but I've never seen us trap the short corner as well as we did in 09-10

The fact we haven't been able to find another Jackson or AO since Rak is mind boggling.
Lydon was a better shooter and not the same type of player.

Finding AO's and Rick Jackson's is how your team can be a complete team with shooters.

Exactly. Roy's UNC teams grow them on trees it seems.

I call 2010 our "Noah's Arc" team- we had two of everything. Two good inside scorers. Multiple outside shooters, multiple guys who could drive to the basket, two point guard, (and Andy was neither of them). Defensively, Andy was the best I've seen at the top of the zone. We didn't have a real shot blocker, (although Wes got a few), but Rick and AO held their ground very well and many a drive died in the paint.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RedSoxNat

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom