After the first turn, 2-1 | Syracusefan.com

After the first turn, 2-1

orangenauburn

2023 Cali Award Average Attendance
Ideally I think most hoped / expected us to be 3-0.

What grade do you give the team through three games?

Looking ahead to the next three, got to come out of those 2-1, though most might anticipate 1-2 or possibly 0-3.

I think we hang tough with LSU and pull one out in Raleigh, and then hang 50 on Pitt.

We end up 4-2 heading to the second half of the year.

Head says 1-2 with a win over Pitt. My heart says we get NC State.

Next week will be fun - want to see us compete and give it our best shot and leave with no injuries.

the D is trending up like we hoped, but now the competition gets way harder so we see if it is false hope

the O is not where we hoped it would be, was the 3rd quarter the sign or just playing an avg team.

Grade after the first 3 games?

Fail (edit: the site won't allow me to post the single letter. Admins, we're all adults here, do we really need a filter for not just the obscenity but also letters that may reference an obscenity?)

We had to start 3-0 to have a shot at a bowl. We didn't. We failed.

That's not to say we can't find a way to have a season that grades better than an F. But if the mission was to set ourselves up to have a bowl chance we flopped at it.

Now, grading the component pieces of things won't yield an F. But I'm talking macro.

Overall team grade C.
Overall offense team grade: D
Overall defense team grade: B+
QB- C- CCSU taught us nothing. Bad against MTSU and good in the 2nd and 3rd Qs against CMU.
RB: C: Not reading the holes correctly and lack missed tackle ability outside.
WR: C: Ishmael-A, Riley-B- the rest D-.
OL: F it needs to improve simple. Interior is all youth so they will with more reps. Tackles aren't doing well.
TE: D: Pierce has potential but too many penalties and mental mistakes.
Coach playing calling D+. The first quarter problems are alarming. These plays should be scripted and prepared to be executed and the team isn't.

DL: A. Best unit thus far on team. Getting pressuare and setting the edge on run support.
LB: B+: Most experience on team and making plays when blitzes are called.
DBs: C+ missing Cordy hurts but Butler and Frederick have made plays. Foster pick 6. They saved the team yesterday.
D.C.: B. Needs to call a few more blitzes but overall improved. The D has played well in 2.5 games. Only did they meltdown after a turnover in the 2nd half against MTSU.

hmm, we were all hoping for 3-0 but things happen. I'm not happy we lost the MTSU game but I understand how it happened. They wanted it for their coach and we played very sloppy. That was arguably their biggest game on the schedule do to the shafer situation. I think the NC state game is kind of a toss up, LSU is a loss (especially after that ass kicking they took this week, they will be ready to come out and play), and Pitt I am very optimistic about. that leaves us at 3-3 or 4-2.

Offensively- I think everyone would agree has not been as good as we anticipated. We miss etta twa's speed on the outside to stretch the field and strickland is too slow to get to the outside on off tackle runs.

Defensively- Not great, but a big improvement from last years defense so far. I hope as the season progress they start to tackle a little better. Too many missed tackles so far for my liking.

not sure how much more we can really blitz its already over 50% of the time it seems like

Offense: C.
  • Offensive line is young and it shows. They can't run the ball because they can't get any push.
  • The play calling has been surprising. Very conservative because they can't stretch the field due to the lack of home run threat.
Defense: B
  • The linebackers and defensive line are the anchors of this unit.
  • The secondary has some room for improvement. We'll see how far they've come along against LSU who has no passing game to speak of.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseEagle8

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom