Ah, great memories | Syracusefan.com

Ah, great memories

DonLightfoot

All Conference
ESPNU has been showing our games from the 2006 Big East Basketball tournament this week. The first three games were real exciting nail biters. This was an incredible performance by the "overrated" GMAC. Back to back titles for the Orange. I assume the Championship Game vs Pitt will be airing sometime, possible Wednesday morning.

EDIT - just noted I had GMAC as "underrated". Change made.

Last edited:
Awesome run. The only Big East Tournament I made was the season before, which was a great run/experience in it's own right. But I can only imagine the stress and excitement of being in the Garden and the post game bars in 06.

The 2006 championship game vs Pitt is on ESPNU Wednesday morning at 9:00 Eastern.

The ACC tournament just doesn't fo it for me.

Sure ain't the Big East. But I meant all conference tournaments. All of them. The small guys. NEC, MAAC, MVC, the big guys. SEC, Pac 12, Big 10 and all the rest. Almost as fun as the dance for me. All going on at once, true madness.

In retrospect switch MVC/Pac 12 on my small guys/big guys..

you gotta at least beat up the kids on your own block before you declare yourself king of the city.

Ah, great memories indeed.

The 2006 tourney was my first ever trip to MSG. It also reminds me how GREAT the weather was that spring, I don't think there's been a nicer spring since.

Anyway, the future Mrs. CuseIsGodsTeam and I brought a #3 sign to the final game and hung out right at the edge of the court during warmups. When the ushers came by to make us leave GMAC's dad told them we were with him and we got to stay until the end. Needless to say he clearly appreciated the signage.

I have all those games on dvd and watched them countless times, I'll never forget Len Elmore saying "You telling me there's no magic in this house tonight!?" Who would've thought only 3 years later we would see something as magical as the 6OT game and a run that nearly surpassed the 2006 one.

Last edited:
I went to the first BET in MSG. I may have missed it 5 times over the years. One of the great joys in my life.
Then, my 2 best BET buddies died within 6 months of each other, and it was never the same.
Still, this time of year, I pine for those long NYC weekends. Basketball, beer, best friends catching up, and NYC acquaintances renewed, momentary friends discussing the day's action at the Blarney, the back page of the tabloids the next day, pizza slices at night, TomCat's ginger ale, NYC Fan's passion, Joyce getting me into the Miami event, watching games from the skybox, NYC bagels in the AM, all set to the soundtrack that is midtown Manhattan.
For me, for a large part of my life, this was the most wonderful time of the year.

Man, watching the 2006 final against Pitt, I just got a life slap. Coming out of the under 16 TO in the second half, they did a little piece and showed Maggie Dixon in the stands. A month later she would die from an undiagnosed heart condition. Every breath is a blessing. LGO.

Last edited: