Albany Game Preview (4/7/22, 7pm) | Syracusefan.com

Albany Game Preview (4/7/22, 7pm)

Powellfan

Renowned lacrosse analyst
The Orange are looking to bounce back from their worst game of the season. They get a favorable matchup against the Danes of Albany, who are just 3-5 on the season with an eight goal loss to Binghamton on their resume. They are coming off just a one goal victory over UMass-Lowell, whose only win of the season was over NJIT. That said, this has all the makings of a trap game. This is basically the Super Bowl for Albany (seriously, just go look at their website). They've been waiting years to host the Orange at Casey Stadium. The game is on a Thursday night, and the Orange have a massive game just four nights later against Cornell. It's probably good that this game is on short rest for Syracuse, as I am sure they'll want to over their dreadful performance against the Irish.

Nothing went well for Syracuse last week, pretty much every part of the team needs to see improvement this week. The offense reverted to an ISO heavy strategy after showing improved ball movement against Duke. Dordevic and Curry accounted for 55% of the shots last week, and not a lot of them were good ones. Mateo Corsi and Tyler Cordes, two first line middies combined for just one shot all game. It is clear that the Orange are putting all their eggs in the Dordevic and Curry basket, but there needs to be at least at attempt at balance. The top two guys on the team are the Orange's best chance at scoring, but there needs to be some attempt to get other guys involved. I am almost positive that the Dordvic/Curry show can take down Albany, but it simply wont be enough to beat other top teams. Especially with Cornell coming up on short rest. Bottom line is that Albany's predicted goal tender is saving below 50% and they are also below 50% on face-offs. Syracuse should have plenty of possessions to wear down the Danes and get a win.

On offense Albany looks to be unsettled, the attack especially seems to have a different lineup every week. I am not sure if that is due to performance or injuries. They rely on their top 5 scorers to carry most of load, but the leading guy is Graydon Hogg who has just 20 points in 8 games. Former Syracuse commit Cam Hay is second on the team 19 points and has a 48% shooting percentage (but just has 12 goals). The SU defense was all over the place last week and didn't seem to understand the game plan. Slides when they weren't needed, not sliding when they were. It looked like last year's defense. Prior to that they had looked more in synch. Albany definitely doesn't have a Thompson or Tehoka or Fields on the team that will dominate the ball, so all defenders will have to have their heads on straight. I am hoping to see the defense play like they did in the three previous games to ND, when they were letting in an average of just 10 goals a game. The big question is who start at goalie? Gavin had looked strong against Stony Brook and Duke and looked to be turning a corner. Then he was blitzed on Saturday and saved just two shots and let in eight. Thompson didn't look much better though. I'd say go back to Gavin and see if you stick with one goaltender.

Another question is injuries - the Orange are of course down Lucas Quinn, Griffin Cook, Owen Hiltz, Max Rosa and presumably Brett Tenaglia and Jackson Birstwistle. I doubt of course we see Cook or Hiltz, but Dami did return last week. Getting Quinn or Rosa back would be big as things heat up. This should be an easy win for the Orange this year, but of course nothing has come easy for the Orange this year. Can they bounce back and start to build something here? A sloppy an unimpressive win here would not bode well for the rest of the year. A loss would certainly mean the end of it. Lets see how much fight this group has.

This already looks like a mess weather wise, heavy rain forecasted, expect a sh$t show.

Will add Corey Yunker has 13 goals, 4 assists in 4 starts , Whitcomb is 9-7 in seven starts and Pucci 8-6 in 3 starts . Dont know if some positions are mislisted or some rotate up top but their roster has eight attackman who are their leading scorers

Will add Corey Yunker has 13 goals, 4 assists in 4 starts , Whitcomb is 9-7 in seven starts and Pucci 8-6 in 3 starts . Dont know if some positions are mislisted or some rotate up top but their roster has eight attackman who are their leading scorers

Albany rotates attack - i think 5 guys play. Yunker was out at the beginning of the season I believe.

Side note: Shrmdougluvr jr is supposed to be playing at half time. Yours truly on the sideline (I played baseball in college if you were wondering about my lacrosse coaching acumen ;)) Hope the weather holds out.

Curious who gets the start in goal.
Good question. Only 29% combined but only one goal allowed was from distance. Most were nearby deliveries.
Hoping Quinn is able to play as this would be a nice homecoming for him.
Would be but doubtful, quick missiles missed. Buttermore thankfully returning to good health and threatening form. Magnan also showed well in his limited run.

Albany rotates attack - i think 5 guys play. Yunker was out at the beginning of the season I believe.

Side note: Shrmdougluvr jr is supposed to be playing at half time. Yours truly on the sideline (I played baseball in college if you were wondering about my lacrosse coaching acumen ;)) Hope the weather holds out.

Your correct they do rotate guys in and Yunker was out multiple games I think. I beleive most of their middies are also converted attackmen, its a bit of an odd offensive set up for Albany. Unfortunately weather looks awful right now, to the point where I wonder if they move the game.

Your correct they do rotate guys in and Yunker was out multiple games I think. I beleive most of their middies are also converted attackmen, its a bit of an odd offensive set up for Albany. Unfortunately weather looks awful right now, to the point where I wonder if they move the game.
doubt they move it, I remember a few years ago, Connor Fields last season I believe, Albany had a home playoff game against UNC and they played it in a monsoon. It was crazy.

Good luck to Jr. What a great experience.

Good luck to Jr. What a great experience.

Thanks. He's played a lot over the last year couple of years and by virtue of club and box, has been able to use both U Albany and Firewolves facilities quite a bit.

This year could be really cool because PLL has their "preseason" week in the run up to games at U Albany and I know his club team has a few practices that week, so I assume he might get some coaching from some PLL guys.

If any of you are attending on Thursday, I'll PM you his uni number so you can cheer him on. He'll dig it.

The Orange are looking to bounce back from their worst game of the season. They get a favorable matchup against the Danes of Albany, who are just 3-5 on the season with an eight goal loss to Binghamton on their resume. They are coming off just a one goal victory over UMass-Lowell, whose only win of the season was over NJIT. That said, this has all the makings of a trap game. This is basically the Super Bowl for Albany (seriously, just go look at their website). They've been waiting years to host the Orange at Casey Stadium. The game is on a Thursday night, and the Orange have a massive game just four nights later against Cornell. It's probably good that this game is on short rest for Syracuse, as I am sure they'll want to over their dreadful performance against the Irish.

Nothing went well for Syracuse last week, pretty much every part of the team needs to see improvement this week. The offense reverted to an ISO heavy strategy after showing improved ball movement against Duke. Dordevic and Curry accounted for 55% of the shots last week, and not a lot of them were good ones. Mateo Corsi and Tyler Cordes, two first line middies combined for just one shot all game. It is clear that the Orange are putting all their eggs in the Dordevic and Curry basket, but there needs to be at least at attempt at balance. The top two guys on the team are the Orange's best chance at scoring, but there needs to be some attempt to get other guys involved. I am almost positive that the Dordvic/Curry show can take down Albany, but it simply wont be enough to beat other top teams. Especially with Cornell coming up on short rest. Bottom line is that Albany's predicted goal tender is saving below 50% and they are also below 50% on face-offs. Syracuse should have plenty of possessions to wear down the Danes and get a win.

On offense Albany looks to be unsettled, the attack especially seems to have a different lineup every week. I am not sure if that is due to performance or injuries. They rely on their top 5 scorers to carry most of load, but the leading guy is Graydon Hogg who has just 20 points in 8 games. Former Syracuse commit Cam Hay is second on the team 19 points and has a 48% shooting percentage (but just has 12 goals). The SU defense was all over the place last week and didn't seem to understand the game plan. Slides when they weren't needed, not sliding when they were. It looked like last year's defense. Prior to that they had looked more in synch. Albany definitely doesn't have a Thompson or Tehoka or Fields on the team that will dominate the ball, so all defenders will have to have their heads on straight. I am hoping to see the defense play like they did in the three previous games to ND, when they were letting in an average of just 10 goals a game. The big question is who start at goalie? Gavin had looked strong against Stony Brook and Duke and looked to be turning a corner. Then he was blitzed on Saturday and saved just two shots and let in eight. Thompson didn't look much better though. I'd say go back to Gavin and see if you stick with one goaltender.

Another question is injuries - the Orange are of course down Lucas Quinn, Griffin Cook, Owen Hiltz, Max Rosa and presumably Brett Tenaglia and Jackson Birstwistle. I doubt of course we see Cook or Hiltz, but Dami did return last week. Getting Quinn or Rosa back would be big as things heat up. This should be an easy win for the Orange this year, but of course nothing has come easy for the Orange this year. Can they bounce back and start to build something here? A sloppy an unimpressive win here would not bode well for the rest of the year. A loss would certainly mean the end of it. Lets see how much fight this group has.

Good job as usual. Been slacking the last few weeks in getting my thoughts out but I wanted to start a new post as I go into some of the overall issues as well.

Cook done.

We'll see about playing future games in Albany.

Magnan and Birtwistle getting opportunities.

Quinn & Hiltz update coming early next week.

Last edited:

Cook done.

Him laughing after being asked "whose standing out in practice this week" wasn't exactly reassuring. Good to hear Birtwistle is healthy and will play on Thursday, would like to see him and Magnan get multiple runs.

Cook done.

Quinn & Hiltz update coming early next week.

Not sure how to feel about the prospect of Hiltz maybe coming back from injury to play this year. It might just be coach speak from Gait, so this might all be for not. But it seems like the best course of action is for Hiltz to take the redshirt, I think SU has a 2% chance right now of making the tournament. Of course what Syracuse is lacking right now is a player of Hiltz's quality. An injection of talent like Hiltz and Quinn coming back could be huge, especially against teams like UVA and Cornell who seem to be struggling with injuries right now.

I would say if SU can't get by Cornell on Monday (of course assuming they do get by Albany), Hiltz should absolutely not come back this season. There are a lot of factors at play - the player might not want to take advantage of that extra year, he may be desperate the help his teammates, but I think it's better for the team and the player if he's saved for a more impactful season.

Not sure how to feel about the prospect of Hiltz maybe coming back from injury to play this year. It might just be coach speak from Gait, so this might all be for not. But it seems like the best course of action is for Hiltz to take the redshirt, I think SU has a 2% chance right now of making the tournament. Of course what Syracuse is lacking right now is a player of Hiltz's quality. An injection of talent like Hiltz and Quinn coming back could be huge, especially against teams like UVA and Cornell who seem to be struggling with injuries right now.

I would say if SU can't get by Cornell on Monday (of course assuming they do get by Albany), Hiltz should absolutely not come back this season. There are a lot of factors at play - the player might not want to take advantage of that extra year, he may be desperate the help his teammates, but I think it's better for the team and the player if he's saved for a more impactful season.
What if Hiltz is planning on only staying 4 years? Correct me if I'm wrong, but Teat didn't seem all that interested in extending his eligibility and trying to play somewhere else when Ivy decided not to play last year. I could see Hiltz do his 4 years then enter the NLL draft. Something to consider..

I believe he was strictly talking about having an update on his status. Hiltz is highly unlikely to play this year.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom