Alford | Syracusefan.com

Alford

Go back and watch BC and the bowl. Kid closed the season out strong. He has shown the ability to make tough contested boundary catches. Needs to be clean on the easy ones and he’ll be a real weapon.

I feel like the board had this discussion at the end of last season. He has all the talent to a be an absolute beast but time will tell if he can get over whatever his hurdle is to be consistent.

Even if we take the last 6 games of the season. He only avg 2.3 catches per game, 48.5 y/pg and 1 total TD.

Even looking at just his last 4 games he still only avg 2.77 catches and 55 y/pg (plus the 1 TD). That was his best stretch.

I’m not sure he puts it together. Last season was a year begging for someone to step up and take the pressure off Gadsden, the run game and OL. I think it was a huge wasted opportunity for him when the D was focused on other parts of the O and he had a lot of opportunities. He just never seems to be able to consistently be the dominant player he’s capable of.

I definitely hope he does and has a monster year. He has all the physical tools to do it. I picked him as my player to have a big year before the start of last season. I’m just not personally sure at this point it’ll happen. Especially if he didn’t seize all the opportunities there were last year.

I feel like the board had this discussion at the end of last season. He has all the talent to a be an absolute beast but time will tell if he can get over whatever his hurdle is to be consistent.

Even if we take the last 6 games of the season. He only avg 2.3 catches per game, 48.5 y/pg and 1 total TD.

Even looking at just his last 4 games he still only avg 2.77 catches and 55 y/pg (plus the 1 TD). That was his best stretch.

I’m not sure he puts it together. Last season was a year begging for someone to step up and take the pressure off Gadsden, the run game and OL. I think it was a huge wasted opportunity for him when the D was focused on other parts of the O and he had a lot of opportunities. He just never seems to be able to consistently be the dominant player he’s capable of.

I definitely hope he does and has a monster year. He has all the physical tools to do it. I picked him as my player to have a big year before the start of last season. I’m just not personally sure at this point it’ll happen. Especially if he didn’t seize all the opportunities there were last year.

Yeah I'm with you. I really hope Alford emerges and give us that reliable WR threat we've desperately needed. But it's **** or get off the pot for him for a little while now IMO.

Just curious, anyone have his average number of targets? Or even game by game?

The good news is he has 2 more years to have the Custis like breakthrough. The bad? news is he is already 22 years old wouldn't it have happened already? Although him being 22 this season and 23 next season while going up against 19 year olds might be a big advantage.

Yeah this is a tough one. Because we all love our guys, but it’s also factual that he has not proven to be a productive guy game-in and game-out. There’s something missing, and I think it’s the fact he is not quite quick enough. He has good straight line speed yes, but he does not have a knack to get open like OG does. I can’t put my finger on it, it’s just something’s missing to bring him from average to good. Again, this is a tough one because I know he has made some huge catches in his career as well. I thoroughly hope he makes me eat crow. But, I would be lying to you if I didn’t say that I think we have someone on our bench who could be more productive. I like Brown. But I know seniority gets first snaps…. We shall see

Yeah this is a tough one. Because we all love our guys, but it’s also factual that he has not proven to be a productive guy game-in and game-out. There’s something missing, and I think it’s the fact he is not quite quick enough. He has good straight line speed yes, but he does not have a knack to get open like OG does. I can’t put my finger on it, it’s just something’s missing to bring him from average to good. Again, this is a tough one because I know he has made some huge catches in his career as well. I thoroughly hope he makes me eat crow. But, I would be lying to you if I didn’t say that I think we have someone on our bench who could be more productive. I like Brown. But I know seniority gets first snaps…. We shall see
I agree Alford does not get open as often as OG.

I disagree in that I think Alford is significantly faster than Oronde but I think he is not as good at using his size and strength to get open. Maybe his routes aren't quite as sharp and crisp as well.

Both drop the ball too often. Usually on passes where a defender is not close. They seem to do better catching it with someone in their face. Weird. Hope it gets addressed this off season.

I disagree in that I think Alford is significantly faster than Oronde but I think he is not as good at using his size and strength to get open. Maybe his routes aren't quite as sharp and crisp as well.

Both drop the ball too often. Usually on passes where a defender is not close. They seem to do better catching it with someone in their face. Weird. Hope it gets addressed this off season.

And I think this is where people get too caught up in speed, height, making a big play once every 3-4 games. Those things are nice but are no guarantees of success.

Knowing how to play the position every down, running crisp routes, having good hip flexibility is really undervalued when looking at WR prospects, and understanding the nuances of how to get open are all far more important than their time in the 40.

All of Alford's memorable plays, in my mind, are on verts. The problem there is that for that to work, you need the safety to be elsewhere, separation from the DB, and an inherently lower percentage throw to be on the money.

All of Alford's memorable plays, in my mind, are on verts. The problem there is that for that to work, you need the safety to be elsewhere, separation from the DB, and an inherently lower percentage throw to be on the money.

That's what I noticed and the on, a small sample obviously, pass up the middle to him Friday hit his hands and bounced off like the ball hit a stone.

Then as you wrote I think about him always going sideline and thought maybe that's why? Does he struggle over the middle? I don't know but I seriously don't remember him catching balls over the middle since he's been here.

If he can go over the middle, it would seem that would open the world up for him.

we also cant forget that not ever route being run has the main goal of getting open. Sometimes its just to draw certain defenders away from the #1 look.. Other times since we seldom see all 22 we have no idea if he was open but not the read. Also the slot guy has an advantage of more space to run the routes into and the D has to honor it. OG is a better route runner in how he sets up his man for sure. Alford needs to better in and out of his break and catch all the easy throws.

Unrelated, but I’ve wondered if WRs should every once in a while practice running routes blindfolded (short routes with no defenders). Just get used the timing, the feel of the route. Repetition. Forget the defender.

Agree with everything you said. I want to especially key in on what you said about his route running. I think it’s not efficient enough for whatever reason. He doesn’t seem to have the stability and balance that you would want for a tall receiver also. I can’t point my finger at one thing exactly, it just seems like Alford is a Jack of all trades master of none but has elite size. If that makes sense

And I think this is where people get too caught up in speed, height, making a big play once every 3-4 games. Those things are nice but are no guarantees of success.

Knowing how to play the position every down, running crisp routes, having good hip flexibility is really undervalued when looking at WR prospects, and understanding the nuances of how to get open are all far more important than their time in the 40.
Plus Alford blocks well and does so pretty consistently.

Plus Alford blocks well and does so pretty consistently.

Absolutely agree with this. He’s a really important piece in the running game. Whether it’s an RB or our QB.