All about building roster depth | Syracusefan.com

All about building roster depth

Cuseball

Starter
As we finally climb out of the limitations on roster size due to sanctions, this year is all about building back up roster depth and having a steady stream of players in each class.

Really excited about the frosh class of 4 (hoping it will be 5) despite it not containing a clear cut star:
  • Moyer 4-year player in the CJ fair mold; not big enough to be a true PF and not strong enough shooter to be a true SF and therefore no threat to leave early. Plays tough and has a year in the system.
  • Washington 4-year player; heady PG with good size; won’t wow you but will solidify the rotation
  • Brisset: could be a real sleeper and prototypical Cuse forward and athlete. Length, rebounding and improving shooting.
  • Sidibe: 4 year player with size and length inside; an advanced version of Keita with higher upside, athleticism to project as valuable center piece of the zone
  • Would be highly positive if you can add Ayala. Not just in terms of next year but over the course of next 4.
Rising Sophomores (3):
· Thompson: future star, offensively highly gifted; could be a good rebounder if emphasizes that part of the game; poor defender but getting out of the middle and year in the system should result in improvement. Likely only here 1 or 2 years more.
· Battle: the star, future NBA after this year; huge year and then gone
· Chukwu: I think he gets the medical redshirt for this year. Can’t teach size and should show huge improvement vs last year. One year of absorbing the zone should translate into better positioning. Little offensive threat and needs to practice free throws!

Rising Juniors (1):
· Howard: highly likely to see a different player next year and Senior season. He’ll be the man at point and will play through mistakes. I think his shot will be fine and he will keep defenses honest from outside (not a knock down shooter but capable). Will form one of the best top of the zone defensive combos we have had in a long time.

Rising Seniors (0):
· Two 5th year transfers will provide temporary stability due to low numbers in the Junior and Senior class. If you get good enough transfers, they will allow the frosh to develop before throwing them into the fire.

The key for the 2018 recruiting class is to add talent and depth. We need to sign at least 4 players (shooter, PG, Hameir and Williams). If you were able to win the recruiting battle for a quality big (Shittu, Jalen Smith or Naz Reid) then awesome. Ultimately you need to have at least 2-3 players in every class and you can clearly see our issue in our Junior and Senior classes.

Cuse!

This recruiting class + Moyer does look like a foundation class.

Moyer should be good but without prototypical size will be at Cuse for a while.

Brissett seems to be coming on strong and could surprise people.

Sidibe and Chukwu solidify our Center position with size for the next few years.

I actually think Howard can be a good player and am much higher on him than most here.

No idea what to expect out of Washington but I guess he's at least a body.

Battle will be the star with Thompson as his sidekick (provided he figures out how to play defense).

We desperately need a SF. We're set at PF/C with Brissett, Moyer, Thompson and Sidibe, Chukwu. I guess Brissett could back up the 3 but he's more of a 4 and while they are interchangeable in our system, we need shooting out of that spot.

This recruiting class + Moyer does look like a foundation class.

Moyer should be good but without prototypical size will be at Cuse for a while.

Brissett seems to be coming on strong and could surprise people.

Sidibe and Chukwu solidify our Center position with size for the next few years.

I actually think Howard can be a good player and am much higher on him than most here.

No idea what to expect out of Washington but I guess he's at least a body.

Battle will be the star with Thompson as his sidekick (provided he figures out how to play defense).

We desperately need a SF. We're set at PF/C with Brissett, Moyer, Thompson and Sidibe, Chukwu. I guess Brissett could back up the 3 but he's more of a 4 and while they are interchangeable in our system, we need shooting out of that spot.
Two SF. One pure and one slasher. Probably need another C too and of course another 2g once battle leaves

Yep we need a starting caliber PG and a SF who can score.

As far as building depth I can see this being that type of class and adding a couple studs to it in 18. That's when you wind up with really good squads because you have returning experience and you add some really good young talent. If we added Batts or Harris as a PG that would be excellent.

Two SF. One pure and one slasher. Probably need another C too and of course another 2g once battle leaves
Agreed.

We have 3 PFs and 2 Cs assuming Lydon is gone but can we truly count on Chukwu? We have 2 PGs (but 1 is purely developmental) and 1 SG. No SFs on the roster for next year.

So, 8 scholarships filled, 3 open [or is it 4 for next year?].

Would like to add a starting caliber PG, a combo guard, and a SF. If another one opens up, then maybe 2 guards and 2 wings.

Will be interesting to see whether they retain 1 or 2 for 5th year transfer options. And also whether they fell like they can get a starting guard from the high school ranks [Batts? Ayala?] or need to again look to the transfer market.

Think Moyer and Brissett will each prove pleasant surprises.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom