all things being equal Shafer is building a much better staff | Syracusefan.com

all things being equal Shafer is building a much better staff

kcsu

Living Legend
You have to like the start that Shafer has in building his staff. Doug had more than a few missteps the first few years and really didnt have any true recruiters on his staff until he landed Wheatly which was as a second not first choice. In the long run i think that Shafer and his crew are going to make us forget Doug and the gang sooner rather than later

Very early in the process but based on where they have been, age, accomplishments and press clippings - I agree.

SS has set the bar pretty high very quickly - I will actually be disappointed if the last two hires are not surprises that are even BETTER than I expected.

I must say - it is nice to have high expectations again.

Pump the breaks a bit here. The staff appears to be pretty good ON PAPER. McDonald is a hell of a recruiter, but we really don't know how good of a coordinator he is yet. We will find out.

The last staff had a lot of hills to climb with regards to recruiting. Awful facilities (certainly at the beginning of Marrone's tenure), a stagnant if not awful program, crappy track record, and burned bridges all over. Adkins is a very good recruiter, as was Shafer.

You have to like the start that Shafer has in building his staff. Doug had more than a few missteps the first few years and really didnt have any true recruiters on his staff until he landed Wheatly which was as a second not first choice. In the long run i think that Shafer and his crew are going to make us forget Doug and the gang sooner rather than later

Why is this even necessary. Shafer is doing the job as well as expected. Had all the faith in the world he would get it done, he didn't turtle up.

Entirely different circumstances by the way.

The past is the past and I'm not going to compare staffs. So far I like what I see out of this one but they have a long ways to go yet due to the not playing a game thing. Shafer will make mistakes as will his staff but as long as they learn from them and continue to work hard and grow as coaches I'll be in their corner. But, if I ever see a GRob vs Iowa 5 times the same play thing, then I reserve the right to change my mind. Talk is nice but when it comes down to getting that TD and the ball is on the 2, I really want to see how McDonald attacks that... 1st down to 4th.

I have a feeling we might see some nice fades with the Funder and Loeb.

That is what I have been saying from the start!

IMO HCSS is going to prove to be a better college coach than DM. In the NFL there is no recruiting and the emphasis is on recognizing talent and coaching it up - both areas where Doug excels. Shafer on the other hand has always been a better recruiter and I think is more comfortable in the college setting.

Shafer is certainly not afraid of hiring sharp football minds and has placed a lot of weight on recruiting ability. These hires include a could of guys that could grow to be able to replace their bosses in a couple of years, which I don't think is an accident.

We are now talking about how good are they as opposed to "woe is us!"

Just my opinion and I certainly could be wrong.

The future is Orange my friends.
P.S. Austin Wilson was always my favorite!

That is what I have been saying from the start!

IMO HCSS is going to prove to be a better college coach than DM. In the NFL there is no recruiting and the emphasis is on recognizing talent and coaching it up - both areas where Doug excels. Shafer on the other hand has always been a better recruiter and I think is more comfortable in the college setting.

Shafer is certainly not afraid of hiring sharp football minds and has placed a lot of weight on recruiting ability. These hires include a could of guys that could grow to be able to replace their bosses in a couple of years, which I don't think is an accident.

We are now talking about how good are they as opposed to "woe is us!"

Just my opinion and I certainly could be wrong.

The future is Orange my friends.
P.S. Austin Wilson was always my favorite!

Recall that Marrone was considered a great recruiter at Ga Tech, Tennessee and GA.

Drayton and Adkins were also considered great recruiters.

Lets see what happens on signing day.

Regarding our recruiting I'll wait and see how this staff does in the fencing department...warding off any challengers and if they do that well and get some good talent they would have done quite a job. Yep, signing day is the big one and we'll find out what kind of closers they are as well.

I like what I'm seeing on paper. GMcD is a rookie OC so I'll have to reserve judgement but part of me believes this is the sort of guy who's ready for the next step.

GMcD/Lester have their work cut out for them with a rookie QB.

Lets see what happens on next years signing day.

I like what I'm seeing on paper. GMcD is a rookie OC so I'll have to reserve judgement but part of me believes this is the sort of guy who's ready for the next step.

GMcD/Lester have their work cut out for them with a rookie QB.

Lets see what happens on next years signing day.
Imo, that is the key statement.

I really hope this staff closes out these last two weeks of recruiting with a bang. I've tempered my expectations as a result of the long drawn out staff pillaging by DM. I think the 2014 class will say more about this (still incomplete) staff's recruiting abilities than this year's class.

I only hope that naysayers bite their lip if their expectations aren't meant on Feb 6th. These coaches were put in a tough spot.

We needed another thread like this because you couldn't find one of the 1000 to add to that has been started over the last 2 weeks?

I only hope that naysayers bite their lip if their expectations aren't meant on Feb 6th. These coaches were put in a tough spot.

People always get caught up in this last minute recruiting frenzy hoping for these giant recruits from out of nowhere. It never materializes and people's expectations are deflated.

The best hope for me at this point is to not lose anybody. Everything else is gravy.

Next year is when we'll see if these guys can recruit.

Talked with a friend of mine this morning. Yesterday she volunteered at some "Day of Service" event & there were a few FB players there. She spent some time talking to PTG - told him about our little group of 8 who'd had seasons tickets together for 22 years & never left a game early & we were upset that HCDM had pillaged the staff etc... He didn't comment except to say that it had made them all very nervous too because they all want to get to the NFL, so they were really scared. But he said that after meeting with the new coaches where they were allowed to ask anything they wanted, he felt they got straight forward, no BS answers to all their questions & they liked what they heard. Bottom line - he's happy & thinks we will be too. He told her he thinks it's going to be all right & we're going to like what we see. She felt it was genuine excitement on his part & not just the company line.

Talked with a friend of mine this morning. Yesterday she volunteered at some "Day of Service" event & there were a few FB players there. She spent some time talking to PTG - told him about our little group of 8 who'd had seasons tickets together for 22 years & never left a game early & we were upset that HCDM had pillaged the staff etc... He didn't comment except to say that it had made them all very nervous too because they all want to get to the NFL, so they were really scared. But he said that after meeting with the new coaches where they were allowed to ask anything they wanted, he felt they got straight forward, no BS answers to all their questions & they liked what they heard. Bottom line - he's happy & thinks we will be too. He told her he thinks it's going to be all right & we're going to like what we see. She felt it was genuine excitement on his part & not just the company line.
Thanks for sharing. Love little tidbits like this.

Great post. You've only got 19 posts, post more often!

The only thing is, all things are NOT equal.

Marrone took over the program when it was literally at the bottom of the barrel--perceived as the worst BCS conference program in college football.

Shafer is taking over a program that is perceived as being on the rise and about to embark upon an exciting [and lucrative] new era in a new conference, which may be why he was able to convince some of these ACs to join him here.

The only thing is, all things are NOT equal.

Marrone took over the program when it was at the bottom of the barrel--perceived as the worst BCS conference program in the nation.

Shafer is taking over a program that is perceived as being on the rise, which may be why he was able to convince some of these ACs to join him here.

Yeah, I was about to post how can all things be equal when they're not equal?

All things being equal, Syracuse is just as good as Alabama. We both start 11 guys on offense and defense, and they all wear helmets.

In fairness, there is no way to objectively "know" that this is a better staff, until we see how they perform on gameday and how they recruit. And, as others have said, all things are not "equal."

Whether this is fair or not, my perception of your anti-Marrone basis is such that, if Shafer announced the hiring of a circus monkey and a feral cat as his coordinators, you would have made a similar post. :cool:

...But he said that after meeting with the new coaches where they were allowed to ask anything they wanted, he felt they got straight forward, no BS answers to all their questions & they liked what they heard. Bottom line - he's happy & thinks we will be too. He told her he thinks it's going to be all right & we're going to like what we see. She felt it was genuine excitement on his part & not just the company line.
Did that follow the meeting with former HCDM? I wonder how that meeting went. Must have been strange for Doug to be a guest speaker at a meeting that once was his to run. Did HCSS usher him out at a certain time or did he let him linger? Did Doug even want to linger or did he just say Adios and get on his way? Inquiring minds want to know.

Did that follow the meeting with former HCDM? I wonder how that meeting went. Must have been strange for Doug to be a guest speaker at a meeting that once was his to run. Did HCSS usher him out at a certain time or did he let him linger? Did Doug even want to linger or did he just say Adios and get on his way? Inquiring minds want to know.
no, the assistants meeting was yesterday

In fairness, there is no way to objectively "know" that this is a better staff, until we see how they perform on gameday and how they recruit. And, as others have said, all things are not "equal."

Whether this is fair or not, my perception of your anti-Marrone basis is such that, if Shafer announced the hiring of a circus monkey and a feral cat as his coordinators, you would have made a similar post. :cool:
Sorry no monkeys allowed especially after that business that TBFOIB pulled as took our last banana

Reactions: 007
Drayton was/is a good recruiter, he just wasn't around long enough and then it took a year to get Wheatley in.

Shafer and Adkins were both good recruiters.

Think the new staff has a lot more to work with than the old staff. Winning program, pretty stocked roster. The comparisons aren't necessarily fair.

Drayton was/is a good recruiter, he just wasn't around long enough and then it took a year to get Wheatley in.

Shafer and Adkins were both good recruiters.

Think the new staff has a lot more to work with than the old staff. Winning program, pretty stocked roster. The comparisons aren't necessarily fair.

I agree. One thing that can't be disputed about the old staff: they excelled at game planning. And they seemed to recruit well [in terms of landing quality athletes who had the physical tools to be competitive]. The rebuild was pretty impressive, even though we weren't landing highly rated recruiting classes.

The new staff--on paper--has some exciting new additions. And I'm personally excited to see if they can help take our recruiting to the next level now that there is a foundation of recent success, a new conference to sell, and hopefully an influx of $$$ coming into the program from the ACC affiliation. But all of that remains to be seen.

The staff, top to bottom, has a lot of proving to do IMO before they can be considered superior to the previous staff.

Reactions: 007
I agree. One thing that can't be disputed about the old staff: they excelled at game planning. And they seemed to recruit well [in terms of landing quality athletes who had the physical tools to be competitive]. The rebuild was pretty impressive, even though we weren't landing highly rated recruiting classes.

The new staff--on paper--has some exciting new additions. And I'm personally excited to see if they can help take our recruiting to the next level now that there is a foundation of recent success, a new conference to sell, and hopefully an influx of $$$ coming into the program from the ACC affiliation. But all of that remains to be seen.

The staff, top to bottom, has a lot of proving to do IMO before they can be considered superior to the previous staff.

Yep. We'll see how they close this class out - that will be a big indicator for me on the recruiting front. If they're able to salvage the NY recruits and add some good prospects that we weren't previously involved with, I'll be pretty impressed.

But the whole coaching aspect and player development, the only proven commodities we have right now that have shown they can do it at Syracuse are Shafer and Moore. Everyone else may have done it other places, but they haven't done it here.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
newmom4503

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom