Altitude... | Syracusefan.com

Altitude...

Forza Azzurri

All American
Anywhere else (meaning much closer to sea level), the lack of the additional player caused by Frank's abject stupidity is not as big a deal.

Last night it was an absolute killer.

For cardio, I do interval training, meaning pyramids:

Timed 1 mile - 5 mins rest
6 timed 400s - 2 mins rest between each
8 timed 200s - 1 min rest between each
8 timed 100s - 30 secs rest between each

I do the mile at sea level (I live pretty much at sea level).

I do my first 400 at sea level but then use an altitude mask (google it if you don't know what it is) to simulate doing each additional interval at higher and higher altitudes.

I do the same thing with the 200s and 100s.

The difference between exerting oneself at sea level and exerting oneself at 4k feet (SLC altitude) is mind-boggling.

You could see it last night as, towards the end of the game, all our shots were short and the defensive rotations at the top of the zone were incredibly slow.

Guys had no legs. They were absolutely exhausted.

Having Frank would have made a HUGE difference just in our ability to get our guys at the top of the zone some additional rest.

BTW, same thing happened to Olajuwon in '83 vs NC State in Albequerque (over 5K ft altitude) and was a big reason why NC State was able to hang around, not get blown out, and ultimately win the game. He was taking oxygen on the sidelines every few mins in the second half. He was so tired, he could barely get up and down the court.

I’m not doubting the impact of altitude, but Baylor only went 7 deep essentially, and three of their starters went 35 minutes.

JB should have played Carey for a few more minutes if it was going to be such a problem. Trading a couple turnovers for a few mediocre minutes to have fresher legs at the end is worth it.

For cardio, I do interval training, meaning pyramids:

Timed 1 mile - 5 mins rest
6 timed 400s - 2 mins rest between each
8 timed 200s - 1 min rest between each
8 timed 100s - 30 secs rest between each

I do the mile at sea level (I live pretty much at sea level).

I do my first 400 at sea level but then use an altitude mask (google it if you don't know what it is) to simulate doing each additional interval at higher and higher altitudes.

I do the same thing with the 200s and 100s.
Who hurt you?

Ok...a few points...

I’m not doubting the impact of altitude,

Neither you, nor anybody else on this board, should have the temerity to doubt what I am posting. And, if you, or anyone else does,, go out to Dick's today and buy yourself an altitude mask.

Then, go to your local high school track. You don't even have to run the mile first, just start with the 400s.

Run your first 400 without the mask. Rest 2 minutes. Put on the altitude mask and adjust the aperture to the first altitude level. Run another 400. Rest 2 minutes. Adjust the aperture to the second altitude level. Run another 400. Keep doing this until you either pass out, have a stroke or are convinced that there is a huge difference between sprinting at sea level and sprinting at altitude.

Then, and only then, will you, or anyone else on this board, have the right to tell me you doubt what I am saying.

but Baylor only went 7 deep essentially, and three of their starters went 35 minutes.

Baylor went 9 deep, not 7. Their subs played 41 of the available 200 minutes. That is 20% of the minutes. We went 7 deep. Our subs played 12.5% of the available minutes. Our guard sub played 3 minutes, meaning TB and BB played 96% of the available minutes. That is just crazy at 4K+ feet...

JB should have played Carey for a few more minutes if it was going to be such a problem. Trading a couple turnovers for a few mediocre minutes to have fresher legs at the end is worth it.

Reread my post. I did not say a single word about what JB should, or should not, have done differently. My post was simply about the impact of Frank's absence last night with the game played at altitude vs what the impact of his absence would have been had the game been played at sea level.

You are welcome to your opinion about what JB should have done differently but don't posit it as a rebuttal to my post because it doesn't apply.

Last edited: