Amsterdam and Maastricht | Syracusefan.com

Amsterdam and Maastricht

CuseFaninVT

2023-24 Iggy Winner Leading Rebounder
Heading there at the end of the month. Recommendations?

Doing 4 nights in Maastricht then up to Amsterdam for another 4 nights. Wife has a conference she’s attending after I leave. We’ve got hotels lined up, tickets to the Anne Frank house, the Van Gogh museum, and the other big museum in Amsterdam (name currently escaping me). Hoping the weather allows for some bike and canal rides.

What else you got?

Posting this from NKR from another thread

Restaurant de Kas - De Kas - went here for lunch. Excellent. They have a greenhouse and farm and very vegetable forward. Very modern 2020's restaurant vibe.

https://www.desilverenspiegel.com/ de Silveren Spiegel - choice of tasting menu. We planned on 5 courses but went with 6 because of the quail course. It was worth it. Not the most amazing meal of my life, but for the cost it was really worthwhile. This quiet/romantic. Old fashioned feel to it, but modern Dutch cuisine.

The Duchess | Home The Duchess - its the restaurant at the W Hotel, where we were staying. The foie gras donuts weren't foie forward enough, so wouldn't recommend those. The escargot and beef wellington were great. The tomato soda cocktail was honestly one of the best thing I've ever drank. Not quite a club-staurant, but definitively more of a scene type restaurant.

I think they all have Michelin stars. Get ready to wait at any random cafe or bar you decide to sit down at. The restaurants had great service though. The Heineken tour was a lot of fun. You'd think for a Germanic people that the service would be more efficient. I wish I got to experience Amsterdam in my 20s. It's a fun city.

You're going to have a great trip!

If you are an old fashioned (the cocktail) fan, grab one in the Pulitzer Hotel bar - absolutely delicious. The omelette in the Pulitzer breakfast restaurant is also outstanding. I have attached pictures to whet your appetite. Have a great time.

Attachments

• IMG_4243.jpeg
    IMG_4243.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 36
  • IMG_4244.jpeg
    IMG_4244.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 36
If you are an old fashioned (the cocktail) fan, grab one in the Pulitzer Hotel bar - absolutely delicious. The omelette in the Pulitzer breakfast restaurant is also outstanding. I have attached pictures to whet your appetite. Have a great time.
Yes and yes! Thanks.

One of my best friends lived in Amsterdam for a couple years around 2016ish. Visited once and don't remember much of anything besides eating stroopwafels at some outdoor market and then a brewery that was in like a giant windmill. That and our train hitting a pack of boars on the way home from Paris and it making the trip take twice as long as it was supposed to. Memory is hazy due to just going wherever they wanted to show us and because there was a "coffee shop" next door to his apartment...

Give Volendam a look. It's on the bay outside of Amsterdam. Muiden is also a nice place to visit,

I'd like to add that the people are extremely friendly and tall.

Last edited:

The Pulitzer Bar was really nice.

One of my recent favorite vacation things to do is a fancy hotel bar crawl. Amsterdam's hotels aren't quite as dramatic as the Ritz in Paris or London, but Pulitzer is a great bar.

Heading there at the end of the month. Recommendations?

Doing 4 nights in Maastricht then up to Amsterdam for another 4 nights. Wife has a conference she’s attending after I leave. We’ve got hotels lined up, tickets to the Anne Frank house, the Van Gogh museum, and the other big museum in Amsterdam (name currently escaping me). Hoping the weather allows for some bike and canal rides.

What else you got?

The Rijksmuseum, but maybe that’s the other museum you’re referencing. If not, then check it out.

Take the canal ride regardless of the weather. It’s an experience and you’ve got a Syracuse weather pedigree, so it won’t be anything you can’t handle.