An interesting article on Grand Canyon University | Syracusefan.com

An interesting article on Grand Canyon University

jncuse

I brought the Cocaine to the White House
Will they soon become a prominent mid-major? They have been quite good given their limited D1 History (since 2013)

How the only for-profit Div. I school is building a monster in the desert

KP ratings of 110, 130, and 150 the last 3 years are modest, but those ratings are actually good given how long they have been a D1 school.

I found this comment amusing from another P5 school:
"The for-profit model suggests that the only thing that matters is the bottom line, and that works against the idea of an institution that serves society," said Kevin Kinser, an expert on for-profit schools and the chair of the education policy studies department at Penn State.

Sure thing Kevin Kisner. P5 sports, like Penn St Football is all about serving society and not at all about the bottom line.

I read it at work. Still a firm believer that a for profit school has no business in the NCAA.
All private schools are for profit. They hid the profits as endowments.

All private schools are for profit. They hid the profits as endowments.
First sentence: If you mean all not for profits want to make a profit then I agree.
Second sentence: I am not quite sure what you mean. I am positive that most colleges don't hide profits in endowments and it would be a legal/stakeholder fiasco. Now I will agree unless you are familiar with a not for profit's financial statements it would prove difficult to separate the changes in net assets.

I am not necessarily for or against. I do find the 3 or 4 comments from P5 schools or conferences talking about the need for academic integrity amusing.

I am not necessarily for or against. I do find the 3 or 4 comments from P5 schools or conferences talking about the need for academic integrity amusing.

Outside of athletics, the Pac 12, B1G and ACC are well represented among the best schools in the nation. It's a legitimate concern when a diploma mill is admitted into the Association.

First sentence: If you mean all not for profits want to make a profit then I agree.
Second sentence: I am not quite sure what you mean. I am positive that most colleges don't hide profits in endowments and it would be a legal/stakeholder fiasco. Now I will agree unless you are familiar with a not for profit's financial statements it would prove difficult to separate the changes in net assets.
Donations are revenue. They put it in endowments and argue they are not for profit. BS.

A quick search shows they are regionally accredited and US News ranks them between 231-300. Obviously, the ranking is low compared to most schools SU associates with; however, there are more than 350 Div. 1 hoops teams and this would put them in a lower tier of Div1 hoops. This does not factor in the academically respectable Div. 2 and Div. 3 schools.

Per this link, there are more than 3,000 4-year accredited schools in the U.S., putting GCU in the top 10% overall, based on US News' ranking.

Fast Facts

SU is firmly within the top 2% of schools in the U.S.