in cahoots
At Villanova: 18 points, 6 rebounds; 6/11 FG, 3/5 from three
At Creighton: 28 points, 10 rebounds; 11/21 FG, 3/8 from three
Vs Northwestern: 22 points, 5 rebounds; 8/14 FG, 5/8 from three
At Purdue: 18 points, 6 rebounds; 7/14 FG, 2/4 from three
At Illinois: 21 points, 13 rebounds; 7/12 FG, 2/6 from three
Vs Penn St: 35 points, 4 rebounds; 11/17 FG, 6/10 from three
Vs Maryland: 25 points, 3 rebounds; 9/18 FG, 5/10 from three

I hadn't really looked his stats from last year until now. What jumps out to me is:
- He was really hitting the glass most of the time (look at that Ill game!!)
- He was obviously an elite 3 pt shooter (we knew that) but last year he was scoring A LOT from two and from the FT line (78% FT shooter) as well.
- He was very efficient, only eclipsing 20 FG attempts once (and averaged under 30 min played/game)

Surely he can get going for us, can't he? I mean, if you look at his production and the competition it came against, we have to expect some of this in the ACC... don't we???

:confused:

Those are impressive numbers. Maybe the system doesn't work well with him or maybe he's just off so far.

He has had a couple of great games for us. If we can get even average play from the 1 and him and Lydon can play up to what they're capable of then we're a great team again.

At Villanova: 18 points, 6 rebounds; 6/11 FG, 3/5 from three
At Creighton: 28 points, 10 rebounds; 11/21 FG, 3/8 from three
Vs Northwestern: 22 points, 5 rebounds; 8/14 FG, 5/8 from three
At Purdue: 18 points, 6 rebounds; 7/14 FG, 2/4 from three
At Illinois: 21 points, 13 rebounds; 7/12 FG, 2/6 from three
Vs Penn St: 35 points, 4 rebounds; 11/17 FG, 6/10 from three
Vs Maryland: 25 points, 3 rebounds; 9/18 FG, 5/10 from three

I hadn't really looked his stats from last year until now. What jumps out to me is:
- He was really hitting the glass most of the time (look at that Ill game!!)
- He was obviously an elite 3 pt shooter (we knew that) but last year he was scoring A LOT from two and from the FT line (78% FT shooter) as well.
- He was very efficient, only eclipsing 20 FG attempts once (and averaged under 30 min played/game)

Surely he can get going for us, can't he? I mean, if you look at his production and the competition it came against, we have to expect some of this in the ACC... don't we???

:confused:
Very good numbers against some quality teams. He just looks so slow out there and not that agile. He's not quick and his vertical looks more horizontal.

He's not very athletic. In our system, I think that hurts him more than most. I don't know what kind of offense Nebraska runs, but I would bet it's more structured than our 'get the ball and go make a play' offense. This is something the coaching staff COULD fix, but I doubt they're going to reinvent our offense at this point.

The rebounding numbers probably can't be fixed. Without looking at film from last season, I would bet money a lot of White's rebounds were position rebounds, in that he seems built to box out for good rebounding position, winning the battle on the floor rather than in the air. Our zone's rebounding philosophy is jump higher than the guy next to you and get the ball. Unfortunately, Andrew White isn't going to face many opponents who he can out-jump.

He played the 4 at Nebraska a lot so that helped his rebounding numbers and put him on someone he was probably more athletic than. He should be able to play the 3 I would think, but man he is just a horrible passer.

The above are all viable theories. But if you look at those stats and watch some of his highlights, AW is a basketball player. He knows how to score in a variety of ways against really good teams. Barring injury or him just not trying, there isn't a reason not to expect him to start doing it for us.

"Our zone's rebounding philosophy is jump higher than the guy next to you and get the ball"

Such a joke

"Our zone's rebounding philosophy is jump higher than the guy next to you and get the ball"

Such a joke
yep official philosophy cuz a dude on the internet posted it

JB has stated publically that to rebound out of the zone that you have to "go get the ball".
Hm, yeah, and I could give you quotes from Russell, Lebron, Rodman, etc about that being the key to rebounding, regardless of the defensive formation :noidea:
Of course it's more of a challenge to rebound out of a zone - but if each of the frontcourt guys is giving the effort he should (moving into position, going up strong) and each of the backcourt guys is staying home and alert for the longer caroms then the difference should be negligible - as evidenced in numerous games in recent years when the team is fully dialed in and hungry

I think another critical factor is how overrated the Big 10 is. That year we pummeled Indiana in the final four, their team seemed so un-athletic I found it hard to believe they were thought to be as powerful as they were. They couldn't even get a shot off against our bigs down low, and their guards had nothing for the top of our zone.

JB has stated publically that to rebound out of the zone that you have to "go get the ball".
I believe he also said it's impossible to box out in the zone and he doesn't coach boxing out...

Definitely need to see more variety in AW's game offensively. I understand that the midrange is not a good shot statistically, however, lethal shooters like White need to utilize the pump fake 1-2 dribble pull up. Seeing the ball go through the net early in the game can completely change the dynamic of the game for a player like AW. Opposing coaches are telling their team all week to fly out at White.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom