Andy Katz interview with Dan Gavitt | Syracusefan.com

Andy Katz interview with Dan Gavitt

OrangeXtreme

The Mayor of Dewitt

NCAA Vice President of Basketball Dan Gavitt sat down with March Madness correspondent Andy Katz to discuss the deadline for potential NCAA tournament teams' March Madness availability, which is Saturday, March 13 at 11 p.m. ET.

You can watch the complete interview above, as well as below on YouTube. The highlights of the interview are listed below, too.

Here's everything you need to know, along with the timestamps from the interview:

• (1:05) Every team coming to Indianapolis must produce seven consecutive days of negative tests in order to clear medical protocol. Then, they must must have two negative tests upon arrival within the span of roughly 12 hours before they begin preparing for their first game.
  • (1:29) There is a deadline of 11 p.m. ET on Saturday, March 13 for teams to attest to their availability to play in the tournament, based upon the medical protocols.
  • (1:46) So far, no teams have been eliminated from at-large consideration based upon COVID-related issues.
  • (2:03) Any players or staff members who do test positive, or who are subject to contact tracing, can return to their team during the NCAA tournament after seven days of negative tests, following a period of quarantining based upon decisions made by their local health officials.
  • (3:53) Eleven teams will arrive in Indianapolis on Saturday after clinching auto-bids earlier in the week.
  • (4:26) Fifteen more automatic qualifiers will be decided Saturday. You can track every conference tournament and automatic qualifier here.
  • (4:57) The selection committee put six more teams in the 2021 NCAA tournament field on Friday night, which means there are 39 teams that are in the pool for at-large consideration, but some of those teams will clinch automatic qualifier status, so those teams will enter the tournament as AQs, not at-large teams.
  • (5:35) The selection committee will still need to select between three and seven at-large teams, based on conference tournament results. The committee hopes to have the entire field selected by Saturday night so that it can focus on seeding on Sunday.
  • (6:30) Fifteen teams are still being considered for at-large spots and some of those teams can become automatic qualifiers if they win their respective conference tournaments.

I thought he said they already filled 39 at large teams already and two of those will become automatic qualifiers that means they picked 37 at-large teams already.

Last edited:
I thought he said they already filled at 39 at large teams and two of those will become automatic qualifiers that means they pick 37 at-large teams!

what’s the impact?

what’s the impact?
He said there’s three slots in consideration with 15 teams fighting for three spots. But what I don’t understand is 31 automatic qualifiers plus the 37 that are already picked as at-large I don’t see where there’s three more to be filled

I thought he said they already filled 39 at large teams already and two of those will become automatic qualifiers that means they picked 37 at-large teams already.

This is correct. That means they can spend most of Sunday working on seeding.

he didnt say specifically 2 were to be auto qualifiers, he said some

This is correct. That means they can spend most of Sunday working on seeding.
Usually he says around 5 slots left for about 11 to 15 teams. I don’t understand the math 39-2 is 3737 at-large plus the 31 automatic is the field of 68 so I don’t understand where he’s got three open slots

there are more than 2 teams playing in conference tournaments that are getting in as at larges: b10 champ, sec champ, acc champ, colorado,houston, creighton,san diego st(7)

Does this mean that most of the at-large teams selected already have been informed and have to attest to having met the medical protocols by tonight? So we may already know if we're selected.

Does this mean that most of the at-large teams selected already have been informed and have to attest to having met the medical protocols by tonight? So we may already know if we're selected.

Which may be why some season ticket holders have received emails to purchase tournament tickets.

I doubt they have been informed. It doesn't work that way. Now, the teams that are under consideration may have been informed they need to present attestations of their testing results. I believe the NCAA has said that they have determined the total number of at-large teams "under consideration".

You just know several teams are gonna have positive tests after the Tuesday deadline or right before game time, and the stand by teams are gonna get screwed and not get a chance to play.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlsbergMD

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom