Andy's D-league team is playing on NBA TV | Syracusefan.com

Andy's D-league team is playing on NBA TV

Also Andy will be one hell of a coach when he is done. I literally seen him coaching up guys on the floor every time I turn on one of his games.

23 for him so far. If Steve novak can make the league, Andy can.

Actually I think we would be perfect and much needed with the Lakers, but I don't want to see him go to a team I hate! And I hate the Lakers!!!!

The big issue is, a lot of guys put up huge stats in the D league and it never translates to anything. Julius Hodge tore the D League up to pieces and never got squat from it.

The big issue is, a lot of guys put up huge stats in the D league and it never translates to anything. Julius Hodge tore the D League up to pieces and never got squat from it.

Agreed but 3pt shooting translates because its a specialty like rebounding.

23 for him so far. If Steve novak can make the league, Andy can.

Steve Novak is 6 or 8 inches taller than Andy, so that comparison is meaningless. Plus, Novak is one of the 5 best shooters in the world, and Andy is nowhere near that level. The better comparison is Redick, but Redick also has a much more complete offensive game than Andy. Even so, Redick couldn't find his way into a rotation until the Magic started to purge their roster. Andy has always been a good shooter, but the only way he can become an NBA player is if he can run an offense as a backup PG without making so many risky passes, and shows that he won't be a defensive liability despite his lack of quickness relative to most NBA PG's.

Steve Novak is 6 or 8 inches taller than Andy, so that comparison is meaningless. Plus, Novak is one of the 5 best shooters in the world, and Andy is nowhere near that level. The better comparison is Redick, but Redick also has a much more complete offensive game than Andy. Even so, Redick couldn't find his way into a rotation until the Magic started to purge their roster. Andy has always been a good shooter, but the only way he can become an NBA player is if he can run an offense as a backup PG without making so many risky passes, and shows that he won't be a defensive liability despite his lack of quickness relative to most NBA PG's.

Comparing Andy to either guy is a disservice to both guys. Redick and Novak have NBA contracts and have proven themselves in the Association. Andy's goal right now is to be "someone's" Novak. His supermodel wet dream is to one day be JJ Redick. But any comparison right now is silly. He's just not on that level.

I don't know about Redick having a "much more complete offensive game" than Rautins. I think he can probably handle the ball a little bit better, but I would say that's about it.

No one here is comparing how Andy is playing (shooting) today to how Novak or Redick are shooting today. Comparing how Andy played 3 years at SU is not fair or accurate. Novak is much taller and better shooter and plays a different position, but Andy is very comparable to Redick. Same size and position Andy is a better passer and is shooting it better right now than Redick. My biggest concern with Andy is his knee has been bothering him. Yesterday he was wearing the largest brace I have ever seen him wear. He went 7-11 from 3 but knee pain/injury is a day to day thing and critical for basketball performance.

I don't know about Redick having a "much more complete offensive game" than Rautins. I think he can probably handle the ball a little bit better, but I would say that's about it.

JJ Redick scored 2,769 points in college (top 20 all-time). The only other guard that's scored more than that at a big-time DI school in the past 30 years is Allan Houston. Redick can score in a lot more different ways than Andy can. That's not a knock against Andy, it's just reality.

If Andy's career numbers in the NBA ever reach the level of a guy like Travis Diener (15 min/game for ~200 games), that would be a tremendous success for him.

JJ Redick scored 2,769 points in college (top 20 all-time). The only other guard that's scored more than that at a big-time DI school in the past 30 years is Allan Houston. Redick can score in a lot more different ways than Andy can. That's not a knock against Andy, it's just reality.

If Andy's career numbers in the NBA ever reach the level of a guy like Travis Diener (15 min/game for ~200 games), that would be a tremendous success for him.
Wait, I thought Allen Houston went to Tennessee?

No one here is comparing how Andy is playing (shooting) today to how Novak or Redick are shooting today. Comparing how Andy played 3 years at SU is not fair or accurate. Novak is much taller and better shooter and plays a different position, but Andy is very comparable to Redick. Same size and position Andy is a better passer and is shooting it better right now than Redick. My biggest concern with Andy is his knee has been bothering him. Yesterday he was wearing the largest brace I have ever seen him wear. He went 7-11 from 3 but knee pain/injury is a day to day thing and critical for basketball performance.

Please tell me you're not trying to compare Andy's 3ptFG% in the D-league to Redick's in the NBA. Redick would score 35+ ppg and shoot 60% if he played in the D-league.

True, Redick was clearly far and above a better college player than Andy was. I also think Andy was a late bloomer in college. However, Redick is in the NBA for one reason: shooting. He's not taking his man off the dribble. He's not throwing down crazy dunks. He's taking jump shots. He's taken more 3 point shots than two point shots this season, and is hitting them at a 37% clip. Not bad, but not world beating either.

Wait, I thought Allen Houston went to Tennessee?

My point was that he played against top-level competition in the SEC. The only other guards that have scored more in the last 30 years played at schools like Miss. Valley St., St. Peter's, and Bethune-Cookman.

My point was that he played against top-level competition in the SEC. The only other guards that have scored more in the last 30 years played at schools like Miss. Valley St., St. Peter's, and Bethune-Cookman.
I know, it was just childish "humor".

True, Redick was clearly far and above a better college player than Andy was. I also think Andy was a late bloomer in college. However, Redick is in the NBA for one reason: shooting. He's not taking his man off the dribble. He's not throwing down crazy dunks. He's taking jump shots. He's taken more 3 point shots than two point shots this season, and is hitting them at a 37% clip. Not bad, but not world beating either.

Redick has taken 199 threes and 191 twos, so he is much more than just a shooter. For comparison, Novak has taken 162 threes and 39 twos. Redick's made over 50% of his 2 pt FGs. His 3ptFG% would be better if he didn't play on a team where he's expected to be the 2nd or 3rd leading scorer. He's also dishing out 4.5 assists/game, a career high by a huge margin, so his ball-handling has improved by a ton over the past few years.

Also Andy will be one hell of a coach when he is done. I literally seen him coaching up guys on the floor every time I turn on one of his games.

Andy is going to be a great coach. hopefully after he gets some experience and when hop is ready to retire.

A team made up of AO, Big Rick, DNic, Rautins and Devo makes the playoffs in the NBA.

I think Reddick probably has a better all around scoring game than Rautins. Neither guy is great off the dribble, but I think JJ is more effective off the bounce against NBA defenders than Andy. Redick does take about half his shots from 3 in the pros; in college he took 60% of his shots from deep. That seems like a lot (and it is), but Andy took 83% of his shots from college from 3, and 81% as a senior.

For his career Redick is at 40% from 3. And he's improved his D a lot since he came into the league. I wouldn't call him great, and probably not even good, but he is probably averageish for a 2 guard. I admit I haven't seen much from Rautins lately; but I would still assume JJ is afar superior player to him.

Please tell me you're not trying to compare Andy's 3ptFG% in the D-league to Redick's in the NBA. Redick would score 35+ ppg and shoot 60% if he played in the D-league.

shooting is shooting its the same line Andy and Redick are both system guys. Redick cannot be anyone off the dribble. The biggest difference in the D-league and the NBA is the bigs not the guards. Any big worth a damn is in the NBA, but the 1-3 spots are similar minus the star players of course who transcend the game.