Announcer's salaries | Syracusefan.com

Announcer's salaries

PoppyHart

All American
I know people bitch constantly about announcing crews (almost as much as refs and seth davis it seems)

But what I'm wondering is why network's "pay up" for announcers, regardless of the sport? Is there data that shows a positive correlation between ratings and announcer salary or reputation? Do networks look at it as a loss leader; i.e. they want the reputation of being "big time"? Have you ever not watched a game that you planned on watching b/c of the announcer (muting the TV doesn't count)? If Pam Ward was calling the Super Bowl tomorrow, would you be less inclined to watch?

I know people bitch constantly about announcing crews (almost as much as refs and seth davis it seems)

But what I'm wondering is why network's "pay up" for announcers, regardless of the sport? Is there data that shows a positive correlation between ratings and announcer salary or reputation? Do networks look at it as a loss leader; i.e. they want the reputation of being "big time"? Have you ever not watched a game that you planned on watching b/c of the announcer (muting the TV doesn't count)? If Pam Ward was calling the Super Bowl tomorrow, would you be less inclined to watch?

I'd like to know how much Jay Williams pays each year to stay on the air.